I am reprinting "The Tactical Grob" by Claude Bloodgood

Old December 12th 09, 05:45 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer
MrVidmar

Default I am reprinting "The Tactical Grob" by Claude Bloodgood

Taylor Kingston wrote:
On Dec 11, 3:44 pm, samsloan wrote:
Most prisoners convicted of such minor offenses as Claude was
(murdering his mother with an ax) do get out on parole eventually.
Almost without doubt the reason Claude never got out was the ratings
fraud charge ...

I must say, Sam, that is probably the funniest thing you have ever
written here.

I recall sharing a drink at the local Irish bar with the dean of a law
school. He said, jokingly, that there was no need to incarcerate one who
murders his wife, as obviously, the problem had been solved.
Old December 12th 09, 08:24 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.true-crime,rec.games.chess.computer
samsloan

On Dec 12, 11:45*am, MrVidmar wrote:
Taylor Kingston wrote:
On Dec 11, 3:44 pm, samsloan wrote:
Most prisoners convicted of such minor offenses as Claude was
(murdering his mother with an ax) do get out on parole eventually.
Almost without doubt the reason Claude never got out was the ratings
fraud charge ...

* I must say, Sam, that is probably the funniest thing you have ever
written here.

I recall sharing a drink at the local Irish bar with the dean of a law
school. He said, jokingly, that there was no need to incarcerate one who
murders his wife, as obviously, the problem had been solved.

Exactly the point. However, a man can get married again and murder his
next wife too. There are many cases where this has happened and, I
believe, even more cases where a woman has murdered more than one
husband.

However, a man can only murder his mother only once.

The motivation Claude Bloodgood had for murdering his mother was that
she was the one who had reported him for forging her signature so, as
soon as he got out of prison, he got revenge by killing her.

The reason sex criminals are made to serve not only their full time
but in some cases are continued to be incarcerated even after their
sentence has been served is they have an unusually high rate of
recidivism. They have a sickness that causes them to do it again and
again.

Murders have the lowest recidivism rate. Murderers rarely kill again.
There was the case of a Govenor of Tennessee who, on his last day in
office, released a bunch of convicted murderers by granting executive
clemency. There was a great hue and outcry about this but, as far as I
know, none of them were ever charged with another crime and they are
all still free today.

Old December 12th 09, 09:15 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.true-crime,rec.games.chess.computer
Taylor Kingston[_2_]

On Dec 12, 2:24*pm, samsloan wrote:

Murders have the lowest recidivism rate. Murderers rarely kill again.
There was the case of a Govenor of Tennessee who, on his last day in
office, released a bunch of convicted murderers by granting executive
clemency. There was a great hue and outcry about this but, as far as I
know, none of them were ever charged with another crime and they are
all still free today.

Sam Sloan

This whole line of argument is absurd (not surprising since it's
Sloan). The rate of recidivism is completely beside the point. The
main purpose of legal penalties is to deter people from committing
crimes. If, as Sam seems to be advocating, there were no penalty for
murder, a substantial increase in murders would be the likely result,
mostly by first-time killers who would have nothing to fear.
Old December 12th 09, 09:48 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.true-crime,rec.games.chess.computer
Taylor Kingston[_2_]

On Dec 12, 3:15*pm, Taylor Kingston
wrote:
On Dec 12, 2:24*pm, samsloan wrote:

Murders have the lowest recidivism rate. Murderers rarely kill again.
There was the case of a Govenor of Tennessee who, on his last day in
office, released a bunch of convicted murderers by granting executive
clemency. There was a great hue and outcry about this but, as far as I
know, none of them were ever charged with another crime and they are
all still free today.

Sam Sloan

* This whole line of argument is absurd (not surprising since it's
Sloan). The rate of recidivism is completely beside the point. The
main purpose of legal penalties is to deter people from committing
crimes. If, as Sam seems to be advocating, there were no penalty for
murder, a substantial increase in murders would be the likely result,
mostly by first-time killers who would have nothing to fear.

A relevant quote from George Saville, Marquis of Halifax
(1633-1695):

"Men are not hanged for stealing horses, but that horses may not be
stolen."

Old December 13th 09, 12:09 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.true-crime,
madams[_2_]

Taylor Kingston wrote:
..
A relevant quote from George Saville, Marquis of Halifax
(1633-1695):

"Men are not hanged for stealing horses, but that horses may not be
stolen."

How about: "Men are not hanged for stealing bread, hanging is so much
more humane than starvation" - Lord Cumalotte...

m.
Old December 14th 09, 04:19 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer
[email protected][_2_]

On Dec 12, 10:45*am, MrVidmar wrote:
Taylor Kingston wrote:
On Dec 11, 3:44 pm, samsloan wrote:
Most prisoners convicted of such minor offenses as Claude was
(murdering his mother with an ax) do get out on parole eventually.
Almost without doubt the reason Claude never got out was the ratings
fraud charge ...

* I must say, Sam, that is probably the funniest thing you have ever
written here.

I recall sharing a drink at the local Irish bar with the dean of a law
school. He said, jokingly, that there was no need to incarcerate one who
murders his wife, as obviously, the problem had been solved.

Well, perhaps he should be barred from re-marrying.
Old December 16th 09, 07:40 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer
sd

Why reprint a book when it can be had for free as an e-book:

http://www.chessville.com/downloads/ebooks.htm

A free version of CB on any computer will read the files nicely, and
the text - or most of it - appears to be contained within as well,
unlike many CB e-books.

It would be easier to approve of Sam's copying if he added significant
new material (not just an new Introduction or Foreword, by way of
which he thinks he is getting away with something) or perhaps trying
to reprint all three major Grob books with a concordance. Or updating
it based on the others. Just annofritzing Bloodgood's analysis could
prove interesting, but no, Sam just wants to photocopy someone else's
work and sell it as his own. If his plagiarism was a bit more
creative, it might be tolerable.

Old December 16th 09, 08:28 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer
samsloan

On Dec 16, 1:40*pm, sd wrote:
Why reprint a book when it can be had for free as an e-book:

http://www.chessville.com/downloads/ebooks.htm

A free version of CB on any computer will read the files nicely, and
the text - or most of it - appears to be contained within as well,
unlike many CB e-books.

It would be easier to approve of Sam's copying if he added significant
new material (not just an new Introduction or Foreword, by way of
which he thinks he is getting away with something) or perhaps trying
to reprint all three major Grob books with a concordance. Or updating
it based on the others. Just annofritzing Bloodgood's analysis could
prove interesting, but no, Sam just wants to photocopy someone else's
work and sell it as his own. If his plagiarism was a bit more
creative, it might be tolerable.

Thank you for pointing out the above file on Chessville. I was not
previously aware of it.

However, it is not a book or even an ebook. It appears to be a data
file in ChessBase format.

Essentially, what the author seems to have done is play through the
games in Bloodgood's book and save them in ChessBase. He has done this
with several other books as well.

That is a commendable and a worthwhile contribution.

However, there still some people who do not like to spend hours
looking at a computer screen and prefer to read a traditional type of
book made with paper and ink. Those people will prefer my books. None
of my books are ebooks. All of my books are paper and ink style books.

It is true that in many of my books, I have just added a foreword of 2
to 4 pages to bring it up to date. However, it is safe to assume that
the buyers of my books are buying them not because of what I wrote but
because of what the original author wrote.

Many of my books are nearly impossible to obtain as a used book even
on Amazon. An example, of this is the Bloodgood book. I searched for
years before I found a copy available.

Another example is Modern Coins of China, a book I just reprinted.
That book published in 1951 in Shanghai China was completely unknown
until it was sold at a China Guardian's Auction held in Beijing China
on June 28, 2009 (not on June 30 as I incorrectly stated earlier). The
reason it was completely unknown is fairly obvious. During the
"Cultural Revolution" in China, millions of books were destroyed and
intellectuals and qualified people were mostly killed. It is likely
that the author of this book perished during that time.

It may be that the copy I have is the only one left. Now, thanks to my
reprinting of this book, anybody can buy it.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...SBN=4871878708
http://www.amazon.com/dp/4871878708

Old December 16th 09, 10:35 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer
sd

On Dec 16, 1:28*pm, samsloan wrote:

However, it is not a book or even an ebook. It appears to be a data
file in ChessBase format.

It is more than that. You need to look at it and the book and compare.

However, there still some people who do not like to spend hours
looking at a computer screen and prefer to read a traditional type of
book made with paper and ink. Those people will prefer my books. None
of my books are ebooks. All of my books are paper and ink style books.

It would be relatively easy to print out all of the e book, and bind
it in any form you want. At a much lower cost than what you charge for
photocopying.

Old December 17th 09, 12:21 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer
samsloan

On Dec 16, 4:35*pm, sd wrote:
On Dec 16, 1:28*pm, samsloan wrote:

However, it is not a book or even an ebook. It appears to be a data
file in ChessBase format.

It is more than that. You need to look at it and the book and compare.

However, there still some people who do not like to spend hours
looking at a computer screen and prefer to read a traditional type of
book made with paper and ink. Those people will prefer my books. None
of my books are ebooks. All of my books are paper and ink style books.

It would be relatively easy to print out all of the e book, and bind
it in any form you want. At a much lower cost than what you charge for
photocopying.

How is that? In the format it is in now it cannot be printed at all.

Also, some of the lines are so bad that a beginner would be
embarrassed to play them.

Here is one, from what you call the "ebook".

1. g4 d5 2. Bg2 e5 3. e4 dxe4 4. Bxe4 Nf6 5. f3 Nxe4 5. fxe4 Qh4+

The ebook recommends against this line for White.

How much would someone be willing to pay for this analysis?

I do not know if this analysis is in the printed book or not, because
I do not have the printed book.