I am reprinting "The Tactical Grob" by Claude Bloodgood

Old December 11th 09, 07:40 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess
samsloan

Default I am reprinting "The Tactical Grob" by Claude Bloodgood

I am reprinting "The Tactical Grob" by Claude Bloodgood.

The Grob is the name of the chess opening that begins with 1.g4.

Claude Bloodgood wrote the book while on Death Row in Virginia due to
an unfortunate butcher knife accident.

He was not executed however because, later on, the US Supreme Court
declared the death penalty unconstitutional.

This book has been almost impossible to obtain. For years I have been
dying to get it.

The ISBN Number will be 4-87187-866-X.

I selected that number because he was X-rated. Also, he was 86ed from
society. Also, the 66 in the number is part of 666.

When the book is printed in a week or so, it will be available at the
following addresses.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...SBN=487187866X
http://www.amazon.com/dp/487187866X

Old December 11th 09, 07:57 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess
[email protected]

PRISONER 99432

A weird chapter in American chess ended in 2001 when Claude Bloodgood
died while serving a life sentence. Just five years earlier he was
briefly rated as the nationís number two player.

"The Convict Who Would Be King" in the Virginian-Pilot by Marc Davis
reports how prisoner 99432 brutally killed his mother in 1969:
"Bloodgood jumped her, beat her head with a screwdriver, strangled her
with his hands, smothered her with a pillow, rolled her body in a
porch rug, then drove 70 miles and gently laid her corpse along a
wooded road, placing a pillow under her battered head."

Incredibly, thanks to his chess prowess, guards let him out to play in
tournaments. His escape in 1974 led to the resignation of Virginiaís
director of prisons.

Bloodgood played thousands of games by mail from his maximum security
cell. He also found a flaw in the system that enabled him to beef up
his rating solely by beating fellow inmates.

He boasted over 100 wins stretching from 1948 until 1966 against the
likes of Humphrey Bogart, Charlie Chaplin, Gary Cooper, Marlene
Dietrich, Albert Einstein, Clark Gable, Edward R. Murrow, and John
Wayne. They were fake.

He was born in 1937 and thus was only 11 in 1948. The dates donít
jibe. To cover his fantasies, including spying for the Nazis during
World War II, he insisted he was born in 1924.

The man was a pathological liar. He left behind boxes of records and
games that may wind up in the Cleveland Public Library, home of the
worldís largest chess collection. This bogus game with Bogie was found
in his papers. It probably was won against another prisoner and he
simply attached the movie starís name to it.

HUMPHREY BOGART?? vs. CLAUDE BLOODGOOD
Poisoned Spike Gambit, Hollywood, 1955??
1 d4 Nf6 2 g4?! Nxg4 3 f3 Nf6 4 e4 d6 5 Be3 c6 6.Bc4 Qa5 7 Nc3 b5
8 e5 dxe5 9 dxe5 bxc4 10 exf6 exf6 11 Nge2 Bb4 12 Qd4 Be6 13 h4
0-0 14 0-0-0 c5 15 Qe4 Na6 16 Kb1 Bxc3 17 Nxc3 Rab8 18 h5 Rxb2
19 Kxb2 Rb8 20 Kc1 Qxc3 21 h6 Nb4 White Resigns

THIS CRAzy WORLD OF CHESS by GM Larry Evans

Old December 11th 09, 09:44 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer
samsloan

The book is very nicely printed with lots of diagrams by Chess of
Sutton Coldfield, England. I am surprised at how good it looks
especially considering the conditions of how it was written. Remember
they did not have chess computers or word processors back then and
even if they had them Bloodgood as a prisoner would not have been
allowed access to them or to any other kinds of electronic
communications devices.

One problem I will have is the book is only 51 pages. My printer only
prints books of 48 pages or more. At 51 pages it barely makes it. So,
I will have to fill it up a bit more to make a decent sized book. I am
asking permission of anyone who wrote about Bloodgood to use their
stuff. There is an article about him on Wikipedia but I want to avoid
using too much of that.

It will be important to emphasize that Bloodgood never intended to
commit ratings fraud. In fact, he warned or tried to warn the USCF
many times what was happening. His calls were ignored until he became
the number 2 rated player in the US, behind only Gata Kamsky.

What was happening is there were various ratings inflationary methods
at work, such as "Bonus Points", "Feedback Points", and "Fiddle
Points". These extra points were awarded to make up for the points
that were being taken out of the system by young players who were
simply improving.

In an open system where any body in the USA could play, these extra
points were designed to stabilize the ratings to keep them from going
down.

However, because Bloodgood was playing in a closed pool of players
incarcerated in Virginia State Prisons, and the system caused more
points to be awarded to players who won their games than were taken
away from players who lost, the result was the sending of the ratings
spiraling upwards.

With Bloodgood and his fellow prisoners playing thousands of USCF
rated games, the inevitable consequence was that the ratings of all of
the prisoners went through the roof.

I have it from a reliable source that Claude *NEVER* intended to
defraud the USCF on his rating. Claude notiffied the USCF long before
it became an issue and alerted them to the fact that prisoners were
playing thousands of games in a closed pool and it was resulting in
ratings inflation. They did not take Claude's warning seriously when
Claude said that he would soon be ranked #1 in America. It's amazing
that Claude was able to predict to the month when it would happen, but
nobody took it seriously. The fraud charge hurt Claude terribly to the
end of his life. He was upset that the USCF did not publish a
statement saying that Claude alerted them to the problem and that no
fraud had been going on. They could have easily done this. Instead,
they remained silent while charges flew all over America about ratings
fraud. Tragically the accusations destroyed the VAPEN chess program
and hurt Claude's chances of getting out on parole.

Most prisoners convicted of such minor offenses as Claude was
(murdering his mother with an ax) do get out on parole eventually.
Almost without doubt the reason Claude never got out was the ratings
fraud charge, his escape while attending a chess tournament and his
two unsuccessful appeals to the Virginia Supreme Court, both of which
resulted in lengthy court decisions.

Sam Sloan

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo.../dp/487187866X

Old December 11th 09, 11:38 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer
The Masked Bishop[_2_]

Great book for those who want to lose in a more interesting, and
quicker, way.

Old December 11th 09, 11:44 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer
Taylor Kingston[_2_]

On Dec 11, 3:44*pm, samsloan wrote:

Most prisoners convicted of such minor offenses as Claude was
(murdering his mother with an ax) do get out on parole eventually.
Almost without doubt the reason Claude never got out was the ratings
fraud charge ...

I must say, Sam, that is probably the funniest thing you have ever
written here.
Old December 12th 09, 12:55 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer
samsloan

There is an article that says that Bloodgood won the Virginia Open
Championship in 1957 and 1958.

This is not true. The 1958 Virginia Open Championship was won by
Stuart Margulies. I was there and I remember it well. Margulies scored
a surprising upset against Senior Master Eliot Hearst and went on to
win the tournament.

I still have the crosstable somewhere. Bloodgood finished about 7th

I played against Bloodgood in that tournament and I remember him very
well.

Here is the game. Do not play it over. It is a terrible game. I was
just a kid 13 years old. I was from Lynchburg Virginia and I was the
only active chess player in Lynchburg so I had no chance for practice
except for traveling to other cities three or four times a year to
play in open tournaments. That is my excuse for playing so poorly.

By the way, my mother let me go alone to this three day tournament. I
took a Greyhound Bus the 200 miles there and back.

[Event "Virginia Open Championship"]
[Site "Hampton, Virginia"]
[Date "1958.??.??"]
[Round "?"]
[White "Bloodgood,Claude F."]
[Black "Sloan,Sam"]
[Result "1-0"]
[ECO "B21"]

1.e4 c5 2.d4 cxd4 3.c3 e5 4.cxd4 d6 5.Bc4 Nf6 6.dxe5 Nxe4 7.Qf3
Qa5+ 8.Nc3 d5 9.Bxd5 Qb4 10.Qxe4 Qxe4+ 11.Nxe4 Be7 12.Nf3 O-O
13.Bg5 Bxg5 14.Nfxg5 Bf5 15.Bxb7 Nd7 16.Bxa8 Rxa8 17.Nd6 Bg6
18.Rc1 Nxe5 19.Rc8+ Rxc8 20.Nxc8 Bf5 21.Nxa7 g6 22.Ke2 f6 23.Nf3
Nc4 24.b4 Be6 25.Rc1 Nb6 26.Rc6 Bxa2 27.Rxb6 Be6 28.Rxe6 1-0

Old December 12th 09, 01:57 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer
samsloan

Just to explain further, the 1958 Virginia Open and the 1958 Virginia
Closed were different tournaments.

I played in both the Virginia Open and the Virginia Closed.

The Virginia Closed was called "closed" because only Virginia State
Residents could play. In 1957 it was played in Richmond. I played Tony
Pabon in that tournament. He won easily. I still have the cross table.
In 1958 it was played in Arlington. Both tournaments were won by Irwin
Sigmond.

The 1958 Virginia Open was a private tournament played in Hampton
Rhodes (near Norfolk) Virginia. I remember quite clearly Hearst losing
to Margulies. Some big name players came down from New York City to
play because of the $100 guaranteed first prize, which was a big prize
back then. Ivan Theodorovich came from Toronto, Canada just to play.

I believe that Bloodgood was one of the organizers of the 1958
Virginia Open but I am not sure. I am sure that Bloodgood finished
about 7th and was never one of the tournament leaders.

Old December 12th 09, 02:19 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,
madams[_2_]

Taylor Kingston wrote:

On Dec 11, 3:44 pm, samsloan wrote:

Most prisoners convicted of such minor offenses as Claude was
(murdering his mother with an ax) do get out on parole eventually.
Almost without doubt the reason Claude never got out was the ratings
fraud charge ...

I must say, Sam, that is probably the funniest thing you have ever
written here.

---

Note: He shuffles-off @ "64" (almost by design)... there's probably a
few other chess-identities in this catagory.

m.
Old December 12th 09, 02:41 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer
samsloan

There was a good, logical reason why Bloodgood should have been
released on parole.

As I pointed out at the time, there was no chance that he was going to
repeat his crime, because he was never going to murder his mother
again.

Meanwhile, I just found the game I played against Tony Pabon in the
1957 Virginia Closed. I did not know I still had it. Tony Pabon asked
me about this game at the 2009 USCF Delegates Meeting in Indianapolis.

It is another very poorly played game. I was very weak back then. Give
me a break. I was only 12. It was better than my game against
Bloodgood though. I came out of the opening a rook and a knight down.
However, Pabon sacrificed back two pieces incorrectly and it almost
looked like I was going to come out of it. I scored 3-4 in that
tournament, which shows how much chess has progressed since then.

Here is it, but don't play this one over either. It is terrible.

[Event "Virginia State Championship"]
[Site "Richmond, Virginia"]
[Date "1957.??.??"]
[Round "?"]
[White "Pabon,Anthony Jr."]
[Black "Sloan,Sam"]
[Result "1-0"]
[ECO "C78"]

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 b5 5.Bb3 Nf6 6.O-O d6 7.Ng5 Bg4
8.Bxf7+ Ke7 9.f3 h6 10.fxg4 hxg5 11.Bd5 Nxd5 12.exd5 Nd4 13.c3
Kd7 14.cxd4 exd4 15.Qc2 Qe7 16.Qc6+ Kd8 17.Qxa8+ Kd7 18.Qc6+ Kd8
19.d3 Qe5 20.Qa8+ Ke7 21.Bxg5+ Qxg5 22.Re1+ Kf7 23.Qe8+ Kg8
24.Qe6+ Kh7 25.Nd2 Qxd2 26.Qf5+ g6 27.Qf7+ Bg7 28.Re7 Qh6 29.g5
Rf8 30.Qxf8 1-0
Old December 12th 09, 02:54 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer
Taylor Kingston[_2_]

On Dec 11, 8:41*pm, samsloan wrote:
There was a good, logical reason why Bloodgood should have been
released on parole.

As I pointed out at the time, there was no chance that he was going to
repeat his crime, because he was never going to murder his mother
again.

You know, Sam, I think you have just hit on a brilliant new
principle that defense lawyers could use: a person can be murdered
only once. By this logic, all murderers should go free. For example,
however evil Charles Manson may have been, Sharon Tate could die but
once. Let's all set Charlie free!