Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : rec.games.chess.politics (Chess Politics) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Charges vs. Old USCF Leaders by Sam Sloan
At 12:04 PM 7/12/2003 EDT, a reader wrote: James Schroeder, known for his intemperate screeds, has stated in his latest that both Edmondson & Morrison were asked to leave USCF for "stealing money." They are also accused of accepting bribes for allocating coveted slots to undeserving guys like Geo. Kane on 1974 Olympic Team. Can you corroborate these charges? George Kane was working for me...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 20th 03 12:18 AM
by Miriling Go to last post
10 1,314
CJA - 2003 Chess Journalist of the Year Nominees - This is a joke,yes? by Dan Heisman
Neil, Thanks. I would be honored to be Chess Journalist of the Year someday (even being nominated would be nice). Of course, that raises the question of what it takes to qualify. I am certainly a chess author and writer, and have my radio show at www.chess.fm. But I am not a journalist in the sense that I go to big chess events and "cover" them for a major media outlet. However, based on...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 19th 03 11:47 PM
by Dan Heisman Go to last post
12 1,175
Prizes donated for free fundraising tournament by Dan Heisman
I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of the donations that have been offered for the free fundraising tournament on August 10 (I am still getting additions). Donated prizes at this point include: 1) Plaque to club with most participants 2) Special Prize: Autographed copy of John Hilbert's new "Essays in American Chess History" 3) 1st Prize, Open Section: Lucite Engraved Block 4)...
July 19th 03 03:43 PM
by Dan Heisman Go to last post
0 702
CJA Misrepresents Resume of Award Nominee by Spam Scone
I wrote to CJA Peter Tamburro and CJA Webmaster J. Franklin Campbell to correct the claim on the CJA website that Ira Riddle was currently "book reviewer for Pennswoodpusher". Dr. Riddle was fired by me in April 2003. Instead of a dispassionate response from Tamburro I got a strongly-worded reply that accused me of indulging in a personality dispute instead of correcting the public record....
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
July 19th 03 02:54 PM
by Spam Scone Go to last post
27 1,447
My son Peter is in Thailand now by Pompeo Silingardi
"OM" wrote in message ... You are a universal moron , so for people like you there is no need to make geographical , racial or whatsoever differences... :-) KLONG ! They're called Klongs over here.(Sub-cretinous moron) OM
July 19th 03 07:17 AM
by Oreo Knight Go to last post
1 753
Election questions by Bill Smythe
"sandirhodes" wrote: .... if we are going to run the candidates statements in 3 issues of Chess Life, the statements can be rotated. Ballot order notwithstanding, each candidate has the opportunity to be on the first of the 3 pages, with no compromise to lottery position of the ballot. .... For that matter, candidate position on the ballot could be rotated, too. On one-sixth of the...
July 19th 03 05:33 AM
by Mike Nolan Go to last post
1 628
Two hours to Gary by Jerzy
"Vince Hart" wrote in message ... At 5:00 P.M. in Chicago, I will be sitting down across the board from Gary Kasparov in a twenty-player simul. Wish me luck. Vince Hart You ought to have much luck ;-) Send us the results and the most interesting games ;-)
July 18th 03 10:03 PM
by Kevin L. Bachler Go to last post
3 694
USCF Upset by Gunny Bunny
http://www.chessnews.org/upset.htm UPSET IN EB ELECTION Virtually all the returns are in, and Beatriz Marinello, Tim Hanke and Don Schultz have been elected to the USCF Executive Board. The vote count stands as follows:
July 18th 03 01:03 PM
by Gunny Bunny Go to last post
0 936
Who is the biggest jerk GM by Liam Too
(Scott) wrote in message ... If we are lucky, maybe GM Rohde himself can explain his actions and set the record straight." ----------------------------------------------------------- "Biggest jerks among world class chess players: Rohde--one of those disreputable New York GMs who has cheated people with ...
July 18th 03 08:57 AM
by John Fernandez Go to last post
5 897
Sam Sloan Almost No-Show at World Open by Sam Sloan
On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 08:03:50 -0400, "StanB" wrote: You didn't miss much. I saw him walking into the tourney room with Carol Jarecki. They were giggling and laughing. As to Sam, I worry about his health. He seems to have lost weight. Skin and bones. And sores. On his face. The mind? A mind is a terrible thing to waste.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
July 18th 03 08:52 AM
by Oreo Knight Go to last post
44 2,018
Sam Sloan attempts to influence the election by casting evil spells by Jane Adams
"Mr. Hat" wrote in message ... In article , (Oreo Knight) wrote: http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/knightoreo A quick-thinking journalist snapped this photo, linked above, just moments before the counting of the ballots began...
July 18th 03 08:45 AM
by Oreo Knight Go to last post
1 670
Will the votes be counted tomorrow? by Sam Sloan
I have been told that the votes in the election for USCF Executive Board will be counted tomorrow, July 16, in New Windsor. However, I find no announcement of this on the USCF website: http://www.uschess.org/org/govern/ Is it true that the votes will be counted tomorrow? When will it start? How long will it last? I will try to attend. Sam Sloan
July 18th 03 07:46 AM
by Oreo Knight Go to last post
1 745
Sick of players who INSIST on playing *BOOK* openings by Scott
I have found a lot of players (at least online) - only play book openings from memory - and when things deviate drastically from what they are used to (especially in a 5-min game) - they can be easily defeated. As a test I have gone on to various chess playing sites and opened my game with 1. e4 * 2. ke2 * 3. ke3 * etc. and won the games 90% of the time. After my silly moves they tend to...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
July 17th 03 09:52 PM
by Mike Ogush Go to last post
20 1,667
Saving Private Hanke by StanB
"Mike Nolan" wrote in message ... There may be a few ballots that still arrive tomorrow (only about 7 arrived today) that will alter the counts a little, but here are the results of the election: Marinello 1007 Hanke 886
July 17th 03 08:11 PM
by Tim Hanke Go to last post
3 796
Crossville to Dallas is One Day's Drive by RMille9601
News on July 14 says USCF is moving to Crossville for sure. Gov of Tn says WELCOME. Russell Miller
July 17th 03 06:57 PM
by Mr. Hat Go to last post
2 809
Iljumzhinov - Days Appear Numbered by Gunny Bunny
http://www.chessnetwork.com/ncn/b/g290603.htm Sun-Herald, June 29 Ian Rogers When Kirsan Iljumzhinov won the Kalmyk election in October last year despite Kremlin opposition, it seemed as if the World Chess Federation (FIDE) President would succeed in his professed ambition to remain life President of the Russian republic of Kalmykia.
July 17th 03 05:32 PM
by Tim Hanke Go to last post
5 873
US Open side events (off topic) by Liam Too
(Fifiela) wrote in message ... Can someone send me a link to US Open side events? Thanx, Allan Allan, Here's the link: http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Field/8184/usoside.html
July 17th 03 04:15 PM
by Liam Too Go to last post
0 860
Yet another GM inquiry... by Mr. Hat
Since discussions with regard to interesting bits about grandmasters (you have to admit that athough controversial postings, I think we have ALL read them with some degree of interest) have abounded as of late, let's toss another log onto the fi "What current GM is the most mentally unstable?" A valid inquiry...Bobby Fischer is both infamously brilliant and infamously mad, yet who else do we...
July 17th 03 10:21 AM
by sandirhodes Go to last post
2 832
Will Bill announce election results this year before USCF? by Bruce Draney
As we near the end of the 2003 election campaign, it is worthwhile to bring up once again what is perceived as unfairness or favortism issues regarding USCF. Back in 2001, when I was running for the Board, Bill Goichberg posted official election results before USCF did in the Board election. While I don't see anything wrong with Bill or anyone else announcing election results, once they've been...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 17th 03 07:55 AM
by Altes Wiesel Go to last post
15 1,941
Who is the biggest jerk GM by Joshua B. Lilly
Perhaps he was having a bad day or something, that doesn`t seem to fit with the two times I`ve seen him at the Virginia Beach Millennium tournament. Of course I don`t know Grandmaster Rohde, so I can`t speak in his defence or anything, but he seemed normal and not conceited at all the two times I`ve encountered him in person. - Joshua B. Lilly
July 17th 03 05:12 AM
by LeModernCaveman Go to last post
2 989
Post New Thread