Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : rec.games.chess.politics (Chess Politics) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Two hours to Gary by Jerzy
"Vince Hart" wrote in message ... At 5:00 P.M. in Chicago, I will be sitting down across the board from Gary Kasparov in a twenty-player simul. Wish me luck. Vince Hart You ought to have much luck ;-) Send us the results and the most interesting games ;-)
July 18th 03 09:03 PM
by Kevin L. Bachler Go to last post
3 597
USCF Upset by Gunny Bunny
http://www.chessnews.org/upset.htm UPSET IN EB ELECTION Virtually all the returns are in, and Beatriz Marinello, Tim Hanke and Don Schultz have been elected to the USCF Executive Board. The vote count stands as follows:
July 18th 03 12:03 PM
by Gunny Bunny Go to last post
0 850
Who is the biggest jerk GM by Liam Too
(Scott) wrote in message ... If we are lucky, maybe GM Rohde himself can explain his actions and set the record straight." ----------------------------------------------------------- "Biggest jerks among world class chess players: Rohde--one of those disreputable New York GMs who has cheated people with ...
July 18th 03 07:57 AM
by John Fernandez Go to last post
5 778
Sam Sloan Almost No-Show at World Open by Sam Sloan
On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 08:03:50 -0400, "StanB" wrote: You didn't miss much. I saw him walking into the tourney room with Carol Jarecki. They were giggling and laughing. As to Sam, I worry about his health. He seems to have lost weight. Skin and bones. And sores. On his face. The mind? A mind is a terrible thing to waste.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
July 18th 03 07:52 AM
by Oreo Knight Go to last post
44 1,695
Sam Sloan attempts to influence the election by casting evil spells by Jane Adams
"Mr. Hat" wrote in message ... In article , (Oreo Knight) wrote: http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/knightoreo A quick-thinking journalist snapped this photo, linked above, just moments before the counting of the ballots began...
July 18th 03 07:45 AM
by Oreo Knight Go to last post
1 585
Will the votes be counted tomorrow? by Sam Sloan
I have been told that the votes in the election for USCF Executive Board will be counted tomorrow, July 16, in New Windsor. However, I find no announcement of this on the USCF website: http://www.uschess.org/org/govern/ Is it true that the votes will be counted tomorrow? When will it start? How long will it last? I will try to attend. Sam Sloan
July 18th 03 06:46 AM
by Oreo Knight Go to last post
1 651
Sick of players who INSIST on playing *BOOK* openings by Scott
I have found a lot of players (at least online) - only play book openings from memory - and when things deviate drastically from what they are used to (especially in a 5-min game) - they can be easily defeated. As a test I have gone on to various chess playing sites and opened my game with 1. e4 * 2. ke2 * 3. ke3 * etc. and won the games 90% of the time. After my silly moves they tend to...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
July 17th 03 08:52 PM
by Mike Ogush Go to last post
20 1,459
Saving Private Hanke by StanB
"Mike Nolan" wrote in message ... There may be a few ballots that still arrive tomorrow (only about 7 arrived today) that will alter the counts a little, but here are the results of the election: Marinello 1007 Hanke 886
July 17th 03 07:11 PM
by Tim Hanke Go to last post
3 701
Crossville to Dallas is One Day's Drive by RMille9601
News on July 14 says USCF is moving to Crossville for sure. Gov of Tn says WELCOME. Russell Miller
July 17th 03 05:57 PM
by Mr. Hat Go to last post
2 720
Iljumzhinov - Days Appear Numbered by Gunny Bunny
http://www.chessnetwork.com/ncn/b/g290603.htm Sun-Herald, June 29 Ian Rogers When Kirsan Iljumzhinov won the Kalmyk election in October last year despite Kremlin opposition, it seemed as if the World Chess Federation (FIDE) President would succeed in his professed ambition to remain life President of the Russian republic of Kalmykia.
July 17th 03 04:32 PM
by Tim Hanke Go to last post
5 755
US Open side events (off topic) by Liam Too
(Fifiela) wrote in message ... Can someone send me a link to US Open side events? Thanx, Allan Allan, Here's the link: http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Field/8184/usoside.html
July 17th 03 03:15 PM
by Liam Too Go to last post
0 758
Yet another GM inquiry... by Mr. Hat
Since discussions with regard to interesting bits about grandmasters (you have to admit that athough controversial postings, I think we have ALL read them with some degree of interest) have abounded as of late, let's toss another log onto the fi "What current GM is the most mentally unstable?" A valid inquiry...Bobby Fischer is both infamously brilliant and infamously mad, yet who else do we...
July 17th 03 09:21 AM
by sandirhodes Go to last post
2 742
Will Bill announce election results this year before USCF? by Bruce Draney
As we near the end of the 2003 election campaign, it is worthwhile to bring up once again what is perceived as unfairness or favortism issues regarding USCF. Back in 2001, when I was running for the Board, Bill Goichberg posted official election results before USCF did in the Board election. While I don't see anything wrong with Bill or anyone else announcing election results, once they've been...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 17th 03 06:55 AM
by Altes Wiesel Go to last post
15 1,734
Who is the biggest jerk GM by Joshua B. Lilly
Perhaps he was having a bad day or something, that doesn`t seem to fit with the two times I`ve seen him at the Virginia Beach Millennium tournament. Of course I don`t know Grandmaster Rohde, so I can`t speak in his defence or anything, but he seemed normal and not conceited at all the two times I`ve encountered him in person. - Joshua B. Lilly
July 17th 03 04:12 AM
by LeModernCaveman Go to last post
2 898
Lowest rated Grandmasters? by Beatchess
KidDon posted: "That's USCF 2251, but 2293 FIDE. GM Denker was awarded the International Master title in 1950 and the Grandmaster title in 1981. He celebrated his 89th birthday on February 21, 2003 while playing in the U.S. Amateur Team South. His continuing love of and contribution to the game through the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and into this Century is truly...
July 17th 03 03:43 AM
by Beatchess Go to last post
0 894
Lowest rated Grandmasters? by Scott
Lowest rated Grandmasters? Bisguier and Rohde are both getting down there .. . . 2300-2400's any others even lower? -Scott
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 17th 03 03:10 AM
by Scott Go to last post
11 1,110
Lowest rated Grandmasters? by John Fernandez
Subject: Lowest rated Grandmasters? From: (Scott) Date: 7/15/2003 7:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time Message-id: You must be looking at an old number from april - he is 2498 on the lastest official "supplement" and continually dropping by the day. It is obvious he is slipping though I know all of his supporters...
July 17th 03 03:05 AM
by Scott Go to last post
2 748
200 Words by Lev Khariton by Nick
"Jerzy" wrote in message ... "Louis Blair" wrote in message ... Jerzy wrote: Fine wrote several fine chess books and I would not call them "schizophrenic and better off when blank". Edward Winter once wrote, "it is important to distinguish between Reuben...
July 17th 03 02:39 AM
by Nick Go to last post
0 778
Defining a successful OMOV election. by Bruce Draney
As we near the eve of the first ever OMOV election it seems worthwhile to reflect on what might constitute a successful first OMOV Board vote. While some who pushed for OMOV for years might say that ANY OMOV result is successful, in my view, a truly successful OMOV vote would have to amount to at least 1,000 or more total voters. Anything below 1,000 in my view would be dismal. Even so, this is...
July 17th 03 02:28 AM
by George John Go to last post
4 765
Sick of players who INSIST on playing *BOOK* openings by John Fernandez
If you don't want someone playing book openings, then play a3 Yeah, but Kasparov showed this was wrong after 1. ... g6! John Fernandez
July 17th 03 01:22 AM
by John Fernandez Go to last post
0 743
Post New Thread