Old March 2nd 04, 11:11 PM
George

Default Perfect Chess

"Death Eater Dan" wrote in message u...
Hi,
Are there any sources available online that discuss the mathematics of
calculating every possible chess board position and linking the positions
with every possible move. Obviously the number is far beyond what computers
are capable today, but I am interested in some exact numbers to predict how
much longer we will have to wait to see a computer play a 'perfect' game of
chess.

After much time and work, I believe I have calculated the exact number of
possible board positions. Has anyone else calculated such a number?

I can't believe that one can calculate it (correctly and accurately)
in a
time less than 8 years. Anyway i may be wrong and you may succeeded it
in a much shorter time.

But what correctly means? It means it has to be definitely a legal
position. So which are the illegal positions you should exclude? There
are the positions where one player is in check and it's not his move.
Also other countless types of illegal positions like:
8/8/5K2/8/2k5/1p6/1P6/B7 w - - that can't be reached with legal play.
BUT also you have to define if you will handle the positions, taking
into account the "En Passant" rule, or the "50 Move Rule", or the "3
Move Repetition" rule, or the "Stalemate"(??) rule, or the "Castle"
rule or the player turn. And this is important.
What this means? ###It means that if in one position X a player can
"Castle" and in the same position X the same player can't "Castle",
then how do you treat these 2 positions? Like one or like two? ###It
means that if in one position X a player can capture "En Passant" and
in the same position X the same player can't capture "En Passant",
then how do you treat these 2 positions? Like one or like two? ###It
means that if in one position X a player can "Castle" and capture "En
Passant" and in the same position X the same player can't "Castle",
and can't capture "En Passant" then how do you treat these 2
positions? Like one or like 2? ###It means that if in one position X a
player can make a move and draw with the "50 move rule" and in the
same position X the same player can't draw with the "50 move rule",
then how do you treat these 2 positions? Like one or like 2? ###And
generally all the combinations between them.
So although it's a matter of definition of: "possible positions in
chess"
and one can ignore the above rules, i think one should take into
account the above chess rules to be more general.

So you should first give how did you define the "possible positions
in chess" you are about to count(or that you have counted them), and
then calculate them.

Although i suspect that by saying "possible board positions" you
refer to only the possible legal positions and not taking account the
rules like "50 move rule", "Castle rule", etc... , if your number is
something like 10^40 then you
can write here the method and the number of course.