Old March 18th 04, 07:14 AM
Mikko Nummelin

Default Top strength OS chess programs usually difficult to compile?

.... (About compiling Crafty with Dev-C++)

Thank you very much for your effort in this area, but I must say, that
there seems to be a generally unfortunate "trend" that the stronger an
open-source chess program is, the more difficult it is to compile.
Yesterday I made an experiment, starting with Ridderkerk's unofficial
rating list

http://wbec-ridderkerk.nl/html/Rating.html

and started tracing which programs are open-source from the top on. I
found that at least the following we

Crafty, Pepito, SlowChess, Amy, Resp

I downloaded their source into my hard disk and made compile attempts with
my Slackware Linux running on an AMD Athlon 1900+. It appeared that they
_all_ except Crafty had some problems on that platform and are not bound
to compile without additional tweaking! But Crafty is nevertheless known
to have compile problems in other platforms as these discussions show.

Many low- and mid-strength open-source chess programs are, unlike the
above mentioned higher strength ones, usually easy/much easier to compile.

Mikko Nummelin