Old April 19th 04, 01:06 AM
Tommy

Default openings

"Daniel Lidstrom" wrote

It is a mistake to use opening moves that your engine did not find
himself.

Why? My chess program is not 2800 Elo, it probably is around 1800 Elo and it
is weak in the opening phase, so I thought that any good opening book would
help....

Use a book-learning algorithm such as the one by Michael Buro
[1] or drop-out expansion [2]. One example to illustrate this: suppose the
opening moves get your program in a position that the program actually
does not like. It will try to shuffle the pieces around to reach a
position it does like. You see the problem?

I understand, the article you pointed me to is really interesting and one
day I might implement that.

For now I wanted something very simple a file like:

FEN - best move
FEN - best move
FEN - best move