Old February 11th 07, 08:04 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer
[email protected] h.leinfellner@sbg.at is offline

Default chess variant 5x7

On 11 Feb., 07:40, Tony M wrote:
On 10 Feb 2007 12:01:28 -0800, wrote:

Hello!

I am looking for a chess program that can play a variant:
5x7 board size, 1 king, 1 queen, 1 rook, 1 bishop, 1 knight
plus 5 pawns. Has anyone heard about this variant?

Do you know where I can get a program (with GUI would be nice!)
that can play this variant?

Thank you.

I've heard of 5x5 and 5x6 variants before, but never 5x7.http://www.pathguy.com/chess/ChessVar.htmlists a whole bunch of
different variants, and has Java applets to play these variants,
though the applets are not strong players.

Does the variant that you mentioned have a name? How are the pieces
arranged in the initial position? Are castling and en passant
possible in this game?

Tony

I've seen it at a game site, they call it "chesster".
The arrangement is R-Q-K-N-B from left to right (for white).
Pawns can move 1 or 2 squares from the initial position.
They always advance to queen.
Castling is possible, no en passant.

I am interested in a program for that variant in _any_ programming
language.

Helmut