Old February 11th 07, 09:06 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer
David Lemper David Lemper is offline

Default chess variant 5x7

On 10 Feb 2007 12:01:28 -0800, wrote:

Hello!

I am looking for a chess program that can play a variant:
5x7 board size, 1 king, 1 queen, 1 rook, 1 bishop, 1 knight
plus 5 pawns. Has anyone heard about this variant?

Do you know where I can get a program (with GUI would be nice!)
that can play this variant?

Thank you.

About 20-25 years ago I wrote in Pascal several programs that would
play chess on small boards. They have a GUI and would move the
pieces with a mouse.

Various sized boards were used. I soon discovered that these
small boards were cramped with little maneuvering space. This
reduced the fun of play and it seemed too different than
64 square chess.

I added two columns of squares on either side. Each was 2 squares
shorter than the full length columns ( whatever the length was for
that particulare small board) . This resulted in somewhat of a
Cross configuration :
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
Well you get the idea.
This increased the playing room without increasing the number
of pieces on the back ranks. I did not put pawns on the short
columns, only in front of the heavier pieces.
I called it X-chess.

There is nothing new under the sun . This was originally
suggested for 64-chess by a F.V. Morley in 1945. He published
this in a book "My one Contribution to Chess" The copy I have was
published by George W. Stewart, NY, 1946. Apparently it was
originally published by B.W. Huebsch , New York, 1945. It
contains short examples of play including a knights tour.
I got the idea from this little book.

My Morley died at age 81 in 1980. He was a former vice-
president and chief editor of Harcourt, Brace & Company.

My current computer contains no Pascal programs as I
attempted to shift to c . Those X-chess programs may be
on one of my old computers. They did not play good chess
as I certainly not a chess engine programer. They would
see a checkmate and also play to a depth of about
3 half-moves weighing the piece values.

Please let me know if you want more information from
Mr. Morley's fine little book. It was given to my uncle Paul
many years ago by Mr. Morley and passed on to me.

Regards David Lemper