Old June 28th 07, 06:41 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess
Tony M Tony M is offline

Default Please Help Guy Macon with his Tablebase Size Estimates

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 16:52:24 +0000, Engineer
wrote:

Tony M wrote:

Guy Macon http://www.guymacon.com/ wrote:

(Note 1: As of this writing, nobody has bothered making tablesbases
for positions where a single king faces five pieces. It's hard to
imagine a non-stalemated 5 vs. 1 position where a computer can't
find a quick win without consulting a tablebase.)

5 vs. 1 tablebases have been created, but not in Nalimov format.
Unfortunately, the code provided by Nalimov cannot as yet handle 5 vs
1 tablebases. You may want to check the CCRL tablebase forum for more
info.

http://kd.lab.nig.ac.jp/chess/discus...wforum.php?f=6

Interesting! I will dig deeper later today.

Do you by any chance know the size (in any format) with and without
the 5 vs. 1 tablebases?

http://kd.lab.nig.ac.jp/chess/tablebases-online/ lists the sizes of
each individual tablebase file in Nalimov format. I'm not sure about
the sizes in Chessmaster FEG format.

Tony