Old December 19th 09, 01:15 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer
samsloan samsloan is offline

Default I am reprinting "The Tactical Grob" by Claude Bloodgood

On Dec 18, 5:46*pm, Taylor Kingston
wrote:
On Dec 18, 5:23*pm, samsloan wrote:

There are many books written by very weak chess players that
nevertheless are good books.

* Sure. For example, Edward Winter is probably not much of chess
player, but he's a good chess historian. However, that's completely
beside the point at issue. Name one good opening manual written by a
very weak player.

* In any event, you've already admitted that Bloodgood's book on the
Grob is bad, so your whole bad-players-can-write-good-books argument
is dead on arrival.

For example, when I knew him, Claude Bloodgood was about your
strength.

That does not stop you from writing about chess.

* False comparison, Sam. I do not write opening manuals. I'd never
even presume to try. My chess writing has consisted mainly of book
reviews, historical articles, and tournament reports.
* A weak player writing an opening manual is like a blind man trying
to paint.

I disagree. I think that a majority of all chess opening books are
written by weak players.

Here is an example: In the 1960s the best opening books were written
by Rolf Schwartz. His book on the Sicilian Defense was the Bible of
that opening. Every serious player had to have it.

http://www.amazon.com/HANDBUCH-SCHAC...dp/B002A43FZQ/

However, he was a weak player, at best Class B, or so I was told.

I think that most opening book authors wisely avoid playing in rated
tournamenmts so we do not know their actual strength.

Sam Sloan