Old December 19th 09, 04:21 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer
Taylor Kingston[_2_] Taylor Kingston[_2_] is offline

Default I am reprinting "The Tactical Grob" by Claude Bloodgood

On Dec 18, 8:15*pm, samsloan wrote:

I think that a majority of all chess opening books are
written by weak players.

Utter nonsense. Checking the opening manuals on my shelf, I see such
authors as GM Reuben Fine, GM Svetozar Gligoric, GM Mark Taimanov, GM
Alexander Matanovic, GM Tony Miles, GM Lev Alburt, GM Nick DeFirmian,
GM Roman Dzindzichashvili, GM John Nunn, GM Raymond Keene, GM Larry
Evans, GM Andrew Soltis, GM Glenn Flear, GM Eduard Gufeld, GM Bruno
Parma, GM Karsten Müller, GM Joe Gallagher, and ICCF World Champion
Hans Berliner. Not to mention IMs Silman, Donaldson, Pein, Lane,
Bellin, Hartston, Minev, Horowitz, Levy, Mednis, Grefe, Perelshteyn.
Also "Lasker's Manual of Chess" and Steinitz's "Modern Chess
Instructor" devote many pages to openings.
That's just books I own personally. Other authors of opening books:
Kasparov, Karpov, Petrosian, Euwe — you've heard of them, I presume,
Sam?

I think that most opening book authors wisely avoid playing in rated
tournamenmts so we do not know their actual strength.

Riiight. That's how all those World Champions, GM and IMs I named
got their titles, by avoiding rated tournaments.

Seriously, Sam: Do you ever actually think before you write? Or are
you just some sort of random verbiage generator?