Old October 18th 11, 10:04 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc
-- -- is offline

Default Programs for tracking chess game listings in tutorial books

I've been using an actual chess board to study games listed in chess
tutorial books. The main hassle is in tracking alternative move
sequences and then getting back to the real moves. And of course
starting over from scratch the next time that game is studied.

I'd like to find a program that will facilitate this. Preferably allow
manually playing/entering the listed game, and allowing recovery to a
given point after checking alternate move sequences. Ideally would
generate and load PGN format files, as that would save some time.

I'm not that familiar with PGN format yet, but I presume that there is
some way to save those alternate sequences along with the actual
played moves (?). That would also be great.

Does any of this sound like an existing program?