Old August 23rd 03, 06:50 AM
Sir Spock

Default Generating tablebases, is it worth the trouble?

Well...generating will mose certainly be slower than downloading...

"Marcel Alsemgeest" wrote in message
I know that link, but 7 GB is a little too much to download with my 256
kbit/sec ADSL-connection... (7 GB to download with +/- 26 Kbytes/sec will
take around 75 hours, and apart from that my 1,5 GB free download limit

will
be crossed by a very large margin, so it will cost quite a lot money).
Generating will be faster I think/hope and certainly cheaper. But the
question is really: is it worth the time to generate these files?

"Ѥ " schreef in bericht
. ca...
You can get the Nalimov 5 piece he

ftp://ftp.uib.no/pub/chesslib/5-man/

"Marcel Alsemgeest" wrote in message
I'm thinking of generating 5-piece tablebases, but that will take

quite
some
time even on my fairly powerfull machine. So i wonder if it is really

worth
the trouble. My main reason would be to let my pc play more effective
against other pc's, but will that indeed be the case when I use

tablebases,
or isn't there much difference noticable?

Marcel