Old August 23rd 03, 12:33 PM

Default Generating tablebases, is it worth the trouble?

The thing is...I have a second computer, so I could leave one of them
working on the tablebases for as long as it takes....if we're talking a
couple of weeks straight, no problem....if its a year...we might have a
problem.

"Match (schaakcommissie) account" wrote in message
TOO long!

If it wasn't, they would already be available on my site!

Cheers!

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003, Ѥ wrote:

I was thinking about buying a 120 Gig external hdd for my notebook

computer.
I was wondering how long it would take to generate a complete 6 piece set

on
a 2 GHz machine with 512 MB ddr ram?

"Sir Spock" wrote in message
Well...generating will mose certainly be slower than downloading...

"Marcel Alsemgeest" wrote in message
I know that link, but 7 GB is a little too much to download with my

256
kbit/sec ADSL-connection... (7 GB to download with +/- 26 Kbytes/sec

will
take around 75 hours, and apart from that my 1,5 GB free download

limit
will
be crossed by a very large margin, so it will cost quite a lot money).
Generating will be faster I think/hope and certainly cheaper. But the
question is really: is it worth the time to generate these files?

"Ѥ " schreef in

bericht
. ca...
You can get the Nalimov 5 piece he

ftp://ftp.uib.no/pub/chesslib/5-man/

"Marcel Alsemgeest" wrote in message
I'm thinking of generating 5-piece tablebases, but that will take

quite
some
time even on my fairly powerfull machine. So i wonder if it is

really
worth
the trouble. My main reason would be to let my pc play more

effective
against other pc's, but will that indeed be the case when I use
tablebases,
or isn't there much difference noticable?

Marcel