Old November 29th 03, 04:57 PM posted to alt.chess

Default How to properly handle bizarre moves during 'book' openings?

Hi,

I'm currently studying various chess openings.

I've noticed that the standard 'book' openings usually proceed for a few
moves until you reach the 'variation' territory.

What I want to know is this:

Let's say, for example, that I have black, and my opponent opens with 1.e4,
and I respond with ...c5, going for a Sicilian Defense.

What if my opponent does something bizarre, like b3 or g4, etc? Can we still
have a Sicilian? How should I proceed when the opponent immediately deviates
from 'book'? None of the chess books I have purchased (and I have many),
demonstrates this. They all are stuffed with grandmaster games, many of
which are 'book' clear through move 10 and beyond. Most of the players I run
into deviate almost immediately because they don't know the standard
openings. I sense that I should be able to hammer a mistake like that, but
I'm at a loss as to how to proceed. In the sample I gave, if we proceed, are
we still in the Sicilian, or some other, more bizarre formation?

Could you also recommend any books that give the _reasons_ behind the
various openings, rather than endless repertoires?

Help!

Thanks,
Patrick
(Remove the "_" from email address if you wish to reply via email).

Old November 30th 03, 09:57 PM posted to alt.chess

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 11:57:41 -0500, "Patrick Hoerter"
wrote:

Help!

Thanks,
Patrick
(Remove the "_" from email address if you wish to reply via email).

I would suggest that you repost this to rec.games.chess.analysis
because this group gets hardly any traffic.

Greg in Cincinnati