Old February 19th 04, 10:49 PM posted to alt.chess

Default Master list of good free chess programs.

WOW, there are some really nice free chess programs
out, and I'd like to see if somebody would keep a master
list of them since I'm always seeing people ask that
question.

I'll start with the list I have, and please add to it with
any others that you may know about.
=======================================

Rebel 12 (DOS) A very powerful DOS only chess
program packed full of all kinds of features and
options. This program will not run on XP!!
Runs ok for me with 98SE in the DOS Window.
http://members.home.nl/matador/chess810.htm

Jester, The worlds strongest Java based Chess Program.
This program has been reported by some users to have
an issue with locking up at times, but it is still a fun
small, but very strong and amazing free program.
Just go here and since it is JAVA, it will load right onto
your machine like a web page.
http://www.ludochess.com/jester_eng/jester_eng.php3

You can also download it as a stand alone here.
http://www.ludochess.com/dotcom/download.php3

Then there is "CRAFTY" by the good Dr. Robert
Hyatt who is a regular here. Crafty is by far the
most powerful freeware package program there
is. It has a long history, and has recently won
and placed very high in a formal tournament.

Here you can read all about it and meet Dr. Hyatt.
http://www.cis.uab.edu/info/faculty/hyatt/hyatt.html

"Der Bringer" is a chess program for Windows,
it is not public domain, but you may download,
copy, and use it free of charge. The site also
has the english version manual. This program
is packed full of features, and looks every bit as
good as any commercial program you can buy.
http://www.reubold.onlinehome.de/

~enjoy
Salute