Old July 13th 04, 03:53 PM posted to alt.chess

Default position notation?

I'm returning to chess after decades away and have been reading "Ideas
behind the openings-Fine".I notice some confusion (typos?) as to where
pieces move.It seems that when a piece moves it is placed on a square named
from the perspective of the player moving. I have a board purchased in
Budapest last year which names the spaces from A to H and 1 to 8 from the
perspective of White .
What's going on?
Thanks

--
Hank

Old August 5th 04, 05:29 AM posted to alt.chess

This is in the new algebraic notation. This link explains it: http://www.bartlebyschess.com/index....which=notation
Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Michael Melia