Old January 9th 06, 06:07 PM posted to alt.chess

Default Chess City demolition photo (NYC)

In the 70's I was walking around NYC with my camera and started taking
photos of a demolition site. The glass sign was still up and stated "Chess
City". This was on 96th and broadway. I fellow asked me to take pictures of
him and the window since it was a favorite spot for him. Unfortunately I
lost his contact info.

Anyway, if anyone wants to see pics of the demolition let me know on this
group.

Dean

Old January 9th 06, 10:54 PM posted to alt.chess

The photos would be nice, but what was Chess City? A little back-story would
be appreciated.

Old January 10th 06, 12:03 AM posted to alt.chess

"Dancing Bear" wrote in message
nk.net...
The photos would be nice, but what was Chess City? A little back-story
would
be appreciated.

Chess City was on the second stry of this building. It was a meeting place
for players.

The person apparently was fond of the building and wanted the photo of the
demolition that still showed the glass plane/logo.

Old February 11th 07, 03:47 PM posted to alt.chess

Chess City was a chess hall on west 96th street in manhattan.It existed
from 1972 to about 1980.I played tournament chess there for 2 years after
the bobby fischer chess boom of 1972.A few of my buddies kept up with the
game after I left and went on to be international chess masters.Boris
Spassky,who bobby fischer defeated for the world championship in
1972,played a similtaneous exibition there in 1976 against 200 players.He
only lost 1 game.