Old February 8th 06, 04:40 PM posted to alt.chess

Default Ebony or ebonized?

Hi. I recently purchased a set of chess pieces online. They were
supposed to be ebony (and may well be), but is there a way to
distinguish ebony from ebonized? Any guidelines would be appreciated.

Old February 9th 06, 06:07 AM posted to alt.chess

Its much more common to get ebonized than ebony now.
I would use a reputable seller to get an ebony set. USCF and other web
based sites have ebony sets.

Ebonized sets are made using white boxwood that has been specially treated
with ammonia. So the ebony look only goes down into the wood so far.
Ebonized wood is still very nice looking.

ups.com...