Old March 3rd 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Default Edward G. Winter from Wikipedia

Edward G. Winter
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Edward Winter is a noted journalist and author about chess. Winter is
primarily known for always attacking Grandmaster Raymond Keene. Keene
is the chess columnist for the The Times and The Spectator in London
and has written more than one hundred chess books. For the past more
than 30 years, every time a new book by Keene has come out or a new
article by Keene has been published, Edward Winter has written
articles attacking it.

There is no known or verifiable biographical information on Winter,
not even a birth year, because, for the past 30 years, nobody has met
or seen Edward Winter. Winter writes from a house address in Geneva,
Switzerland. Private detectives, hired by the victims of his frequent
attacks, have staked out that house, hoping to catch a glimpse of
Edward Winter, but nobody has seen him there. There is a difference of
opinion between whether Edward Winter is a real name or a pseudonym.

Keene is convinced that the Edward Winter who attacks him all the time
is the same person as a tournament chess player by that name who had
some run-ins with Keene in the early 1970s. However, the majority view
seems to be that Edward Winter is a pseudonym.

In just the past few years, Edward Winter has branched out and
diversified his activities. Now, he does not only attack Keene. Winter
also attacks Bobby Fischer, Larry Evans and Eric Schiller, although
Keene remains the principal subject of his attacks.

In a radio broadcast from the Philippines in 2003, Bobby Fischer
expressed the opinion that Edward Winter does not exist.

Attention has focused on Taylor Kingston, a chess journalist in
Vermont. Kingston is about the same age that Winter appears to be.
Kingston is from the same part of England that Winter is believed to
be from. Kingston writes in the same style as Winter. Kingston attacks
the same people that Winter attacks, although Kingston also attacks a
few additional people, mostly Americans, that Winter does not attack,
such as Larry Parr and Don Schultz. Also, if anybody writes anything
bad about Edward Winter, Kingston will attack that person while
defending Winter.

Parodies have appeared. Chess politician Tom Dorsch writes articles as
Edward Spring, parodying the style of Edward Winter.

In 1986 at World Chess Olympiad in Dubai, Raymond Keene backed a
candidate for FIDE President. Edward Winter filed an ethics complaint
with the FIDE Congress accusing Keene of unethical conduct in writing
books almost exclusively about opening theory, whereas Winter said
there should be more books about chess history. Keene's opponent was
Florencio Campomanes who Winter supported. Campomanes had Winter's
ethics complaint translated into all five FIDE languages, including
Arabic, and distributed to all the delegates. The showdown came at the
FIDE General Assembly in Dubai. With one hundred FIDE member nations
represented there, not one delegate was willing to speak or to vote in
favor of Winter's ethics complaint.

Winter publishes a regular column called Chess Notes. This column is
exactly what it claims to be, because it contains brief commentaries
usually not more than one or two paragraphs in length attacking
usually insignificant errors and spelling mistakes made by this or
that chess writer. If a book by Keene contains a spelling mistake,
Chess Notes will point it out.

Assessment of the qualities of Edward Winter varies widely. John
Donaldson has called him "the world's greatest chess historian".
However, one reviewer notes: "His attention to the most insignificant
detail is more than apparent. . . . His reviews and criticisms as
contained within this volume can be biting to say the least. In fact
he will probably leave some readers wondering whether the almost
gleeful maliciousness he exhibits in his frequent negative assessments
is perhaps worse than the chess culprits he is critiquing."

In the last few years, the attacks by Winter on his increasingly long
list of perceived enemies has increased, and more and more chess
publications have refused to publish the articles by Edward Winter.
Most recently, ChessCafe' and Hanon Russell Enterprises stopped
publishing anything by Winter and apparently removed the book reviews
by Winter from the archives. Prior to that, from 1998 to 2001, New In
Chess magazine had carried Chess Notes, subject to the strict
condition that Winter not say anything about Keene. It was about that
time that Winter branched out and started attacking other people
instead of just attacking everything by Keene.

Nowadays, no chess magazine in the world is willing to publish Chess
Notes, but Winter is publishing books.

Although Winter has attacked Keene hundreds and possibly even
thousands of times, Keene has rarely said anything about Winter.
However, at http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1013565 Keene
comments at some length. Keene believes that Winter is the same person
as a student who was born in 1956. Keene writes, "Actually I really
don't follow Edward Winter at all. I just see him as a naughty
schoolboy who likes annoying his elders. He was a schoolboy at
Cardinal Newman School in Brighton and taught chess by my friend
Julian Simpole who could beat him with his eyes closed literally.
Winter was about 15 years old when I was already British Champion.

Since Keene became British Champion in 1971, this puts Winter as
having been born in 1956. If true, this means that Winter started
attacking Keene when Winter was in his late teens or early 20s. This
puts Winter at almost exactly the same age as Taylor Kingston (whose
name may also be a pseudonym).

[edit]

Books

Chess Facts and Fables ISBN 0786423102

Commoners and Knaves Further Chess Explorations ISBN 1888690046

Chess Explorations (1996) ISBN 1857441710

A Chess Omnibus ISBN 1888690178

Capablanca: A Compendium of Games, Notes, Articles, Correspondence,
Illustrations and Other Rare Archival Materials on the Cuban Chess
Genius Jose Raul Capablanca, 1888-1942 ISBN 0899504558

Tragic Life And Short Chess Career of James A Leonard, 1841-1862 (with
John S, Hilbert) ISBN 078642298X
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_G._Winter"

Categories: Living people | British chess players | Chess players

Old March 3rd 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

This is my version of his bio. It's a personal attack toward Edward
Winter. Remember never to **** with me or I'll write crap about you. I
have nothing to lose and people know that I'm a scumbag anyway.

Old March 3rd 06, 07:08 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Just remember, if I put enough crap out there, some fools will believe
it.

Old March 3rd 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

John J. wrote:
It looks like any fool can write up junk on Wikopedia and a worse fool
reapeats it.

I got a big kick out of two passages:

"Attention has focused on Taylor Kingston, a chess journalist in
Vermont. Kingston is about the same age that Winter appears to be.
Kingston is from the same part of England that Winter is believed to be
from." - Wow, I didn't know that Vermont (where I live now) and
San Diego, California (where I was born and lived until 1980) are part
of England.

"This puts Winter at almost exactly the same age as Taylor Kingston
(whose name may also be a pseudonym)." - Boy, that age similarity
is the clincher. Case closed! And I'm shocked to learn that for the
last 57 years I've been using a wrong name!

Sam, thanks for the best laugh I've had all week.

Old March 3rd 06, 07:33 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Użytkownik "John J." napisał w wiadomo¶ci
It looks like any fool can write up junk on Wikopedia and a worse fool
reapeats it.

I can see more and more morons here in rec.games.chess groups.

Old March 3rd 06, 08:39 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Taylor Kingston wrote:

I got a big kick out of two passages:

"Attention has focused on Taylor Kingston, a chess journalist in
Vermont. Kingston is about the same age that Winter appears to be.
Kingston is from the same part of England that Winter is believed to be
from." - Wow, I didn't know that Vermont (where I live now) and
San Diego, California (where I was born and lived until 1980) are part
of England.

"This puts Winter at almost exactly the same age as Taylor Kingston
(whose name may also be a pseudonym)." - Boy, that age similarity
is the clincher. Case closed! And I'm shocked to learn that for the
last 57 years I've been using a wrong name!

Sam, thanks for the best laugh I've had all week.

Taylor,

Since you are the only person who claims to know Edward Winter
personally, why don't you "correct" my biography by providing
information about him, such as his date and place of birth, so that we
can verify whether he is a real person or not?

Old March 3rd 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess
Rob Rob is offline

Default E.WINTERS WEBSITE!!!!

If you want to see the real Winter website... this is it.

http://tinyurl.com/ns43m

Old March 3rd 06, 09:59 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

"samsloan" wrote in message
oups.com...

Sam, thanks for the best laugh I've had all week.

Taylor,

Since you are the only person who claims to know Edward Winter
personally,

Wrongo Sam. Ray Keene wrote of Mr. Simpole who used to beat Winter easily
while simultaneously marking homework. I have also encountered him
elsewhere. He is not Taylor Kingston.

why don't you "correct" my biography by providing
information about him, such as his date and place of birth, so that we
can verify whether he is a real person or not?

You really invite people to take apart your work by writing such [funny! but
untrue] stuff.

Phil Innes