Old March 13th 06, 12:45 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess

Default Parr on Winter on "The Termination"

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 00:18:00 +0100, Ralf Callenberg
wrote:

Sam Sloan wrote:

Please Note: "Rook_wave", who posts here as Ralf Callenberg has a
history of following me around and deleting almost everything I post
on Wikipedia. Therefore, you and others will have to watch this site
to see if Callenberg tries to vandalize it again.

Sam, Sam, lying again. First: I did not vandalize. Second: I did not
delete "almost everything", only parts of articles. Third: My changes -
with one exception - were limited to chess related topics, which means I
left alone all your political and other articles. Last: the Winter
article has shown, that others are doing this job now.

Greetings,
Ralf

As it turns out, this time it was not Ralf Callenberg who vandalized
the article, but rather Louis Blair, who posts as 137.216.208.82 ,
which is in Brookings, South Dakota.

Louis Blair was a bit more civilized about it, not bulldozing the
entire article as Ralf Callenberg does, but just deleting a few lines
of my Larry Parr article.

Louis Blair also deleted content from my Eric Schiller article,
deleting among other things the foillowing unquestionably true
statement:

"Schiller was for many years the right-hand man of World Chess
Champion Garry Kasparov."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Schiller

Old March 13th 06, 01:43 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess

Sam Sloan )
wrote (Mon, 13 Mar 2006 00:45:20 GMT):

Louis Blair ... deleting among other things
the foillowing unquestionably true statement:
_
"Schiller was for many years the right-hand
man of World Chess Champion Garry Kasparov."

_
"It is an unfortunate side-effect of the way Wikipedia
works that simply knowing somethign to be true is
not enough, you have to show that reliable secondary
sources have reported it as such." - Just zis Guy you
know? (16:09, 4 March 2006 (UTC))

Old March 13th 06, 06:43 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess

Louis Blair ... deleting among other things
the foillowing unquestionably true statement:
_
"Schiller was for many years the right-hand
man of World Chess Champion Garry Kasparov."

_
"It is an unfortunate side-effect of the way Wikipedia
works that simply knowing somethign to be true is
not enough, you have to show that reliable secondary
sources have reported it as such."

I think it would be more accurate to say that truth has little to do
with the matter; the policy, as stated, requires only that something
has been reported by reliable sources.

But what constitutes a reliable source? Apparently, many would regard
different authors who sometimes contradict each other to be reliable.
And some would even believe that authors who often times contradict
themselves to be reliable. Reliability is not always measured by
objective standards; it's more a consensus (of popular opinion).

Not long ago, I read about an animal which was long "thought to be
extinct" by all the "reliable" sources, by the scientists.
Unfortunately, someone dragged a recent kill into a small town to sell
at the local market, and the Reliables had to rethink their position.
A more "reliable" source might have classified the creature's status as
"unknown", but this would entail an admission of ignorance -- and
Reliables don't like doing that.

Old March 14th 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess

Sam Sloan )
wrote (Mon, 13 Mar 2006 00:45:20 GMT):
Louis Blair ... deleting among other things
the foillowing unquestionably true statement:
_
"Schiller was for many years the right-hand
man of World Chess Champion Garry Kasparov."

_
I replied (12 Mar 2006 17:43:35 -0800) to this
by reproducing a comment from a Wikipedia
talk page:
"It is an unfortunate side-effect of the way Wikipedia
works that simply knowing somethign to be true is
not enough, you have to show that reliable secondary
sources have reported it as such." - Just zis Guy you
know? (16:09, 4 March 2006 (UTC))

_
helpbot )
wrote (12 Mar 2006 22:43:42 -0800):

... But what constitutes a reliable source? ...

_
I am not sure about how much help it would be,
but Wikipedia does have pages that discuss
this sort of issue:
_
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:RS
_