Old March 13th 06, 03:33 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.mongolian

Default My Wikipedia biography of Batchimeg Tuvshintugs

Here is my Wikipedia biography of Batchimeg Tuvshintugs.

Better look at it quick, before vandals like "Rook wave" (Ralf
Callenberg) and Louis Blair hack it up.

Batchimeg Tuvshintugs
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Batchimeg Tuvshintugs (b. 1986 in Mongolia) is a Woman International
Master of chess. She now lives in the San Francisco Bay area.

She caused a tremendous sensation in the 2006 U.S. Chess Championship
held March 2-11 in San Diego, California, by defeating three top rated
grandmasters and drawing anouther grandmaster in the first five
rounds. Her opponents had an average Elo Rating of 2612, so her
performance rating based upon her score of 3.5 - 1.5 for those five
games was 2772, which is perhaps the world's record performance for a
woman anywhere in a chess tournament.

Batchimeg Tuvshintugs started the tournament rated 2271. In the first
round, she defeated Grandmaster Alexander Fishbein (rated 2593) who
ultimately finished fourth. Batchimeg Tuvshintugs then lost to
Grandmaster Yury Shulman (2623) who won the trournament, defeated
Grandmaster Boris Kreiman (2535), drew Grandmaster Boris Gulko (2678)
and then defeated Grandmaster Julio Becerra (2629).
[edit]

External links

* FIDE rating card for Batchimeg Tuvshintugs
* The chess games of Batchimeg Tuvshintugs

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batchimeg_Tuvshintugs"

Categories: 1986 births | Living people | American chess players |
Mongolian chess players | Mongolian sportspeople | Mongolian people |
Chess players
Old March 13th 06, 04:15 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.mongolian

Sam Sloan wrote:

[...] her performance rating based upon her score of 3.5 - 1.5
for those five games was 2772, which is perhaps the world's
record performance for a woman anywhere in a chess tournament.

False. Sophia Polgar finished once a WHOLE tournament
(in Rome) with a 2900+ performance.

*******

Wlod

Old March 13th 06, 08:44 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.mongolian

Wlodzimierz Holsztynski (Wlod) wrote:
Sam Sloan wrote:

[...] her performance rating based upon her score of 3.5 - 1.5
for those five games was 2772, which is perhaps the world's
record performance for a woman anywhere in a chess tournament.

False. Sophia Polgar finished once a WHOLE tournament
(in Rome) with a 2900+ performance.

*******

Wlod

OF course, this was a famous performance, which became known as "The
Sac of Rome", when Sophia was only 13, but are you sure it was 2900+ ?
Do you have a complete list of opponents she played?

Old March 13th 06, 09:05 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.mongolian

Sam Sloan wrote:

[...] her performance rating based upon her score of 3.5 - 1.5
for those five games was 2772, which is perhaps the world's
record performance for a woman anywhere in a chess tournament.

False. Sophia Polgar finished once a WHOLE tournament
(in Rome) with a 2900+ performance.

*******

Wlod

OF course, this was a famous performance, which became known as "The
Sac of Rome", when Sophia was only 13, but are you sure it was 2900+ ?
Do you have a complete list of opponents she played?

Sam Sloan

Let me quote "The Oxford ...":

[...] in February 1989 she won a tournament
in Rome, run on the Swiss system, scoring
8 wins and conceding a draw, in a favourable
position, in the last round. Experts considered
this, a rating performance of more than 2900,
to be matched only by Fisher and Kasparov
at their best.

(End of quote).

Do pay attention to the comas. The meaning is"

(1) the rating performance was higher
then 2900;

(2) The experts considered such a performance
(on 2900+ level) to be matched only by Fischer
and Kasparov at their best.

I don't know Sophia's (Zsofia's; Sofia's)
opponents. I hope that those games are
in the data bases.

Wlod

PS. Sophia was not 13 but 14 or 15 at the
time, probably still 14. She was very young
all the same.

Old March 13th 06, 09:33 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.mongolian

samsloan wrote:

Do you have a complete list of opponents she played?

Sam Sloan

Let me quote "The Oxford ...":

[...]

(End of quote).

Do pay attention to the comas. The meaning is"

(1) the rating performance was higher
than 2900;

("than" no "then").

The "chessgames" page:

http://tinyurl.com/mo2qe

provides three games from that tournament
in Rome, 1989:

ZsP - Palatnik 1:0
ZsP - Suba 1:0
Razuvaev - ZsP 0:1

(ZsP = Zsofia Polgar).

You may replace your inaccurate statement
with something about scoring 3.5 in 5
consecutive games against GMs, granted
that first you check the validity of the
new statement.

Wlod

Old March 13th 06, 09:52 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.mongolian

Sam Sloan wrote:

[...]

Paul Truong has provided on another group a list of some of the
opponents Sophia played in 1989. Sophia's performance rating of over
2900 is achieved by excluding two games Sophia won against low rated
players. (This is ligitimate. Similarly, in the latest US
Championship, any game won by any player against Kelly Cottrell, rated
1663, would be excluded in counting the performance rating of that
player.)

Also, Sophia's performance in Rome 1989 was NOT a GM Norm (for some
thecnical reason. I forget the reason.)

Paul Trupng writes that Sophia played "GM Chernin, GM Razuvaev, GM
Suba, GM Palatnik, GM Dolmatov, IM D'amore 2425, FM Mrdja 2405, etc.
With all due respect, these GMs are in a different class than
Kreiman, Becerra and Fishbein.

"She started out with the score of 8/8. She only drew in round
9. Her rating at that time was 2295 and she finished with 8.5/9, 2
points ahead of the second place finishers GM Chernin 2580, GM
Dolmatov 2580, IM Levitt 2495 and the well known GM Wojtkewicz.

"She defeated 4 GMs! By the way, these were all FIDE rating,
not USCF which is more inflated.

" It is not even close Sam. She made the IM norm by 3.5 points
and GM norm by 1.5 points. Her performance was 2879 in 9 rounds and
2930 in 7 games against titled players. No other female player
(including her 2 sisters) can match this. This was the greatest
single tournament result in history for any female chess player."

I do not disagree, but we have an apples and oranges problem here
because we are comparing FIDE ratings in 1989 to USCF ratings in 2006.
The FIDE ratings of the players Batchimeg Tuvshintugs played in the
first five rounds, Fishbein, Shulman, Kreiman, Gulko and Becerra,
averaged 2544. Of course, I am fudging by excluding the last four
games, all of which she lost. However, Truong is fudging too by
leaving out the two games Sophia won against low rated players.

The players on the list Truong gives above averaged only about 2500 in
1989 FIDE Rating points. Remember that Batchimeg Tuvshintugs next
played Kamsky and Yermolinski. Kamsky is certainly stronger than any
player Sophia played in 1989 and Yermolinski probably is. However,
Batchimeg Tuvshintugs lost those games so we are not counting them.

There is no doubt that Sophia's overall result was better. However, I
see no harm in trying to bring some publicity to a new player by
saying that her result is "perhaps" the best result for five games of
any woman player in chess history. It is kind of like arguing over
whether Ruth or Maris hit more home runs.

Old March 13th 06, 10:06 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.mongolian

Wlodzimierz Holsztynski (wlod) wrote:

The "chessgames" page:

http://tinyurl.com/mo2qe

provides three games from that tournament
in Rome, 1989:

ZsP - Palatnik 1:0
ZsP - Suba 1:0
Razuvaev - ZsP 0:1

(ZsP = Zsofia Polgar).

I found also:

ZsP - Alexander Chernin 1:0

Alexander Chernin got his GM title in 1985,
Mihai Suba in 1978, Yuri Razuvaev in 1976.
We already see that Zsofia won against at
lest three GMs in one tournament.

Batchimeg Tuvshintugs' achievement was
fantastic, but Zsofia Polgar's much more so.

Wlod

Old March 13th 06, 12:10 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.mongolian

Sam Sloan wrote:

OF course, this was a famous performance,
which became known as "The Sac of Rome"

Or was just one of Zsofia's games called that?
(I don't know).

Sophia's performance rating of over
2900 is achieved by excluding two
games Sophia won against low rated
players. (This is ligitimate. Similarly,

legitimate

in the latest US Championship, any game won
by any player against Kelly Cottrell, rated
1663, would be excluded in counting the
performance rating of that player.)

I'd say that it is legitimate only when
the succesful player in question won
against those lower rated opponents,
as was the case of Sophia.

Also, Sophia's performance in Rome 1989 was NOT a GM Norm (for some
thecnical reason. I forget the reason.)

Paul Trupng writes that Sophia played "GM Chernin, GM Razuvaev, GM
Suba, GM Palatnik, GM Dolmatov, IM D'amore 2425, FM Mrdja 2405, etc.
With all due respect, these GMs are in a different class than
Kreiman, Becerra and Fishbein.

Indeed, Dolmatov and Suba were very strong.
(I remembered Palatnik as a GM but he's not
listed in "The Oxford...", 1992 edition; Sophia
won against Chernin, Razuvaev, Suba and
Palatnik. Did she drew against Dolmatov?).

********
Wlod