Old March 19th 06, 12:31 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,soc.culture.singapore,alt.chess,soc.culture.russian

Default My Wikipedia biography of Ignatius Leong

Ignatius Leong
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Ignatius Leong is a professional chess organizer in Singapore. He has
been one of Asia's leading organizers for more than 20 years.

Politically, he has swung wildly from one extreme to the other. He
once formed a "World Chess Organization" which promised to overthrow
FIDE. However, he abandoned that effort when he could not get anybody
to join.

He has also swung wildly between being a supporter and an opponent of
FIDE President Kirsan Ilyumzhinov. At the 1996 FIDE Congress in
Yerevan, Armenia, Leong brought in his luggage a special shipment of
Rolex watches made in Singapore which were to be used by Kirsan
Ilyumzhinov to bribe the delegates. However, only a few days later,
Leong claimed that Kirsan was trying to assassinate him and therefore
Leong hid out in the hotel room of US Delegate Steven Doyle.

It was only after Kirsan promised not to kill Leong, that Leong
emerged from Doyle's hotel room. Fortunately, the promise was kept and
Leong later appeared on the dais with Kirsan.

In 2002, Leong announced that he was running for FIDE President
against Kirsan. Later, he changed his mind, saying that he was not
running. Then, he changed his mind again, saying that he had never
withdrawn his candidacy. It was eventually ruled that once he had
withdrawn, it was too late to become a candidate again, so no election
was held because Kirsan was the only candidate. However, in exchange,
Kirsan made Leong a Vice-President of FIDE.

In the coming 2006 election to be held in Torino, Italy, Leong is
running for FIDE General Secretary on the Kirsan Ilyumzhinov ticket.

External links

* Two Tickets Announced for FIDE Elections
* Bessel Kok for President in 2006

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignatius_Leong"

Categories: Singapore chess players | Chess players | Living people
Old March 19th 06, 05:14 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,soc.culture.singapore,alt.chess,soc.culture.russian

Err, P-KR4,

The Italian or Sicilian is a more exciting opening. How about some news
of Reykjavik?

Signed,

P-K4

Old March 20th 06, 12:17 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,soc.culture.singapore,alt.chess,soc.culture.russian

Ralf Callenberg who posts as Rook_wave has deleted almost my entire
biography of Ignatuis Leong, claiming that I cannot prove the
statements made in my article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignatius_Leong

But, in fact, I can. The problem is that Callenberg does not know
anything about chess, so he just goes about willy-nilly deleting
everything. He claims to have a high FIDE rating, but nobody seems to
know him and a lot of these ratings have proven to be phoney.

For example, he deleted my statement that at the 1996 Chess Olympiad
in Yerevan Armenia, Ignatuis Leong brought rolex watches from
Singapore to be used a bribes, then hid in Steve Doyle's hotel room
claiming that Kirsan Ilyumzhinov was trying to kill him, and then came
out and made up to Kirsan.

Although Callenbereg does not believe this statement, says it is
ridiculous and libelous and so on, here is a report from one of the
many articles that were published about this incident:

"This morning, upon arriving at the Convention Center, I saw
Steve Doyle (USA) with two members of the United States Embassy. He
had called the Ambassador last night because he had been approached by
Ignatius Leong (Singapore). I had heard that Leong spent the night at
Bachar Kouatly's (France) lodgings, but he actually was in Steve's
room, while the other Singapore representative stayed with Bachar.
The members of the Embassy went to the meeting with Steve to protect
Leong (who apparently didn't need it anymore). I was a little
surprised that Steve got them involved for that. I asked Steve if he
were worried for himself, but he wasn't.

"I was in the corridor leading from the FIDE Secretariat
because I had just escorted Nigel Freeman to a proper bathroom back
there, and ran into Steve who wanted me to go with him to speak to
Kirsan Ilyumzhinov and the group in his office (Andrei Makarov
[Russia], etc.). He took Florencio Campomanes along too. I was
present as a witness to the conversation, and didn't take part in it.
Actually, I didn't really know what was going on then. The meeting
was supposed to have begun at 9 but it was already 9:30. Steve and
Andrei Makarov had a confrontation via a translator. Makarov accused
Steve of causing an international incident. Makarov said he had
contacted the Russian Office of Foreign Affairs and the US' actions
here would be brought to the attention of the highest government
level. The Armenian Federation's President said he was insulted that
Steve did not come to him if he felt that there was any danger -- that
the chess participants were all guaranteed safety by the President of
the Republic himself. Makarov was pretty intimidating as Steve
admitted later.

"Then Ilyumzhinov, who had been quiet, said that the US action
had cast a bad light on the Olympiad and Armenia, etc. He said that
Leong came to him late last night and spent about two hours there.
Ilyumzhinov gave him $6000, as back pay, said that Leong's claims were
unsubstantiated ("lies"), that he had apologized, and so on.
Ilyumzhinov's assistant went to get the receipt but couldn't find it
immediately. Knowing how Ilyumzhinov dispenses money it seemed to me
that it really existed, and I feel he really had paid Leong.
Campomanes was quiet the entire time. Steve calmed down and we
finally all left for the meeting which began at 10 o'clock."

https://listserv.surfnet.nl/scripts/...chess-l&P=2222

Old March 20th 06, 12:25 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,soc.culture.singapore,alt.chess,soc.culture.russian

Scumbag Sam, it is obvious that you're not an authority in chess. No
one respects you. Even your wife refuses to sleep with you unless you
pay her. Give it up Scammy Sam.