Old March 19th 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Default My Complaint to Wikipedia against Rook_wave a/k/a Ralf Callenberg

[edit]

Current requests
[edit]

User:Rook_wave vs. User:Sam_Sloan
[edit]

Involved parties

* User:Rook_wave
* User:Sam_Sloan
* User:Phr

All Parties are aware of this request

I have made a request for mediation in this dispute. Although
User:Rook_wave did not respond here, he did state this morning over on
the Usenet Group rec.games.chess.politics that he is refusing
mediation of this dispute. Over there, he posts as "Ralf Callenberg".

This dispute has gone on for more than three months since early
December, 2005 and it is obvious that User:Rook_wave and User:Phr have
no interest in settling this dispute.

[edit]

Statement by party 1

I am a recognized author and authority in the world of chess. Articles
I have written have been published in virtually every major chess
magazine in the world, including New In Chess, ChessBase, Chess Life,
The Week in Chess, Chess Asia, Chess World, Schachs Europa, Shakhmary
Riga and so on.

In early December, 2005 User:Rook_wave registered as a new user just
so that he could blank an article I had posted. Ever since, every time
I have posted an article about chess, he has deleted almost all of the
content, usually leaving only one or two lines. He never edited on any
other subject, other than to delete content from my articles, until
about a week ago when in response to my complaints, he added one word
to an article. Yesterday, he deleted most of an article I had written
only two minutes after I had first posted it, and before I had even
finished it. I stopped posting for a few months because of
User:Rook_wave hoping he would go away. However, with the Chess
Olympiad starting in Torino, Italy on May 20, it is neceessary that I
be able to post some chess biographies, so that the public will know
who the major players in this competition will be. Sam Sloan 21:21, 19
March 2006 (UTC)
[edit]

Statement by party 2

(Please limit your statement to 500 words)

[edit]

Arbitrators' opinion on hearing this matter (0/0/0/0)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...lved_partie s
Old March 20th 06, 12:13 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Statement by party 2
User:Sam Sloan constantly misuses Wikipedia to distribute his point of
view about several people, resulting in unsourced attacks, rants and
gossip. My deletions concentrated on those parts, and they are also
(with one small exception) limited to chess relevant articles, not his
articles about other topics. At those occasions where there was at
least a chance for sources, I explicitely asked for them, but not once
Sam Sloan was able to provide a concrete one. I didn't agree on his
mediation request as it didn't seem to be real, more a complaint about
me and the threat to get me blocked. Up to now no real discussion
between us developed, neither at Wikipedia nor in Usenet and regarding
his concentration on ad hominem style arguing, I doubt this will ever
change. Nevertheless I intend to continue with my changes, as I think
most of his biographies are very poor examples of Wikipedia-articles
and he disserves chess with those contributions. His latest concern is
about the coming election of the FIDE-president. His recent biographies
are filled with strong personal attacks on the current president
(including claims of bribing and even threats of killings) and his
staff and very positive articles about the challenger and his team,
sometimes just copied from the campaign's web page.
_
Here you will find some of the changes I made:
_
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...did=444 45830
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...did=4444456 2
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...did=44431 423
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...did=3 3873391
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...did=3242733 5
Rook wave 22:58, 19 March 2006 (UTC)
_
Arbitrators' opinion on hearing this matter (0/1/0/0)
_
Reject. The edits by User:Rook wave look sensible to me, in general
terms, and to be anything but destructive. Charles Matthews 22:23, 19
March 2006 (UTC)

Old March 20th 06, 12:13 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Sam Sloan wrote:
I am a recognized author and authority in the world of chess.

"I am Sgt. Louis Illuminato, the Head of the Church and President of
the District." -- Firesign Theatre, circa 1969

"I am the God of hell-fire!" -- Arthur Brown, circa 1968

"I ... am ... Iron ... Man ... !" -- Ozzie Osbourne, circa 1970

"I AM THAT I AM." -- Exodus 3:14

"I am mamamamamamamamama oomah-mau-mau poppah-oo-mau-mah-mau!" -- The
Trashmen, "Surfin' Bird," 1962

Old March 20th 06, 01:48 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.russian

[...]

* [1]
* [2]
* [3]
* [4]
* [5]

Rook wave 22:58, 19 March 2006 (UTC)
[edit]

Reply to Statement by Party 2 User:Rook_wave

Here is exactly the problem: User:Rook_wave admits that he has deleted
content from every posting I have made about chess in the past three
months, more than 50 deletions in all, yet he admits elewhere that he
knows nothing, zero, about the subjects I am writing about. He just
goes about willy-nilly deleting almost everything I post, and he
states that he will continue to do so.

He states above that I am not able to provide any concrete sources,
but in fact I can. It is just that I should not be required to prove
to him that I have sources, because he is not a policeman.

For example, he claims that I am attacking the current president of
FIDE, by saying that Ignatius Leong accused Kirsan of threatening his
life. However, Kirsan Ilyumzhinov has been accused of more than just
merely making threats of murder. He has been accused of the actual
murder of Larisa Yudina (not by me, incidentally).

I am a journalist who has attended and reported on many of the
incidents that I am writing about, so I am an eye-witness to many of
these events. In addition to my own published reports, numerous other
journalists have written about these same events and their reports
have been widely published in the chess magazines. For example, here
are two official reports which deal with the incidents in Yerevan,
Armenia in September-October 1996 where Ignatius Leong hid in Steve
Doyle's hotel room, claiming that Kirsan was trying to kill him, and
two days later Steven Doyle switched his vote in exchange for a Rolex
watch and a FIDE Vice-Presidency:

https://listserv.surfnet.nl/scripts/...=chess-l&P=562
https://listserv.surfnet.nl/scripts/...chess-l&P=2222

In short, User:Rook_wave who admits that he knows nothing about the
subject and is merely targeting me, should not be allowed to delete or
modify my postings. Sam Sloan 01:35, 20 March 2006 (UTC)
Old March 20th 06, 11:31 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.russian

get lost

Old March 22nd 06, 04:10 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.russian

Comment from an outsider
_
I took the time to look at Sam Sloan's two links. They are
both 1996 reports by Carol Jarecki. To focus on just one
issue, in the second of the two reports, it states:
_
"On a Lighter Note: Sumo Wrestling
_
The highpoint of the day was when Andrei Makarov
went up to get his ballot to vote. Steve Doyle met
him just short of the stage, obstructing his passage,
and they got into a 'belly-bumping' battle. It was
hilarious and brought the house down. Then Makarov
did the same to Steve when the USA was called.
This time people were ready with cameras but I don't
know where to get a copy of the photos. Then,
because there were TV cameras there too and neither
of them wanted it to look like there was any animosity
involved, Makarov grabbed Steve's hand, faced the
cameras both with broad smiles, and raised their
hands together. They both were minus jackets since
it was very warm so it made quite a picture. The
cameras loved it."
_
This is what Sam Sloan wanted Wikipedia to say about the
matter:
_
"Doyle achieved international notoriety in FIDE, the
World Chess Federation, by engaging in a Sumo
Wrestling Match against Makarov, the President of
the Russian Chess Federation. Doyle, the lighter of
the two contestants, lost the match, which is still
remembered as one of the most notable sporting
events ever in the history of FIDE."
_
Neither Carol Jarecki article said anything about a Rolex
watch. - Louis Blair (March 19, 2006)
_
I support what was said above completely... I could not find any
mention of Rolex watches or bribery. I think Rook wave has just been
NPOVing the articles correctly and removing unsourced opinions... If
anything, ArbCom should review Sam Sloan's edits. - Sasquatch
(06:06, 21 March 2006 (UTC))
_
The trouble with the suggestion of reviewing Sloan's edits is they
aren't 99% bogus--it would be easy in that case to trash them as
vandalism. And they're not 1% bogus, which would be within
Wikipedia's normal margin of error and not a big problem. They're
more like 20% bogus, which means that every single one of them
has to be carefully verified (e.g.: compare Sloan's version of the
sumo wrestling story with Jarecki's) before its quality can be judged,
and this is difficult since Sloan rarely cites sources and many of the
edits look somewhat reasonable at first glance. So even Sloan's
"good" contributions create a workload for other editors that's more
trouble than the contributions themselves are worth. - Phr (13:46,
21 March 2006 (UTC))
_
Arbitrators' opinion on hearing this matter (0/2/0/0)
_
Reject. The edits by User:Rook wave look sensible to me, in general
terms, and to be anything but destructive. - Charles Matthews (22:23,
19 March 2006 (UTC))
_
Reject. Dmcdevit·t (02:00, 22 March 2006 (UTC))

Old March 22nd 06, 11:14 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.russian

Reject. - James F. (23:03, 22 March 2006 (UTC))

Old March 25th 06, 10:24 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.russian

11:11, 25 March 2006 Sam Korn
(→Current requests - rejected: ... Rook_wave vs. User:Sam_Sloan ...)

Old March 26th 06, 03:39 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.russian

Sloan drops another one. Why can't Sloan win any arguments?
Is it because he can't think rationally and factually? Does he not
know how to present an argument? Just wondering.

ups.com...

Old March 26th 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.russian,soc.culture.german

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 21:39:58 -0500, "Say No To g4"
wrote:

Sloan drops another one. Why can't Sloan win any arguments?
Is it because he can't think rationally and factually? Does he not
know how to present an argument? Just wondering.

"Louis Blair" wrote in message
oups.com...
11:11, 25 March 2006 Sam Korn
(?Current requests - rejected: ... Rook_wave vs. User:Sam_Sloan ...)

I hope that this decision does not make Ralf Callenberg and Paul Rubin
feel like that have been authorized to continue to vandalize and
delete all my chess biographies from Wikipedia. I think they will be
watched from now on.

Meanwhile, I am thinking of writing to the German Chess Federation
asking them to bring an ethics complaint against Callenberg a/k/a
"Rook_wave" because Callenberg clearly supports Kirsan Ilyumzhinov
and opposes Bessel Kok because everytime I say something good about
Bessel Kok or negative about Ilyumzhinov he deletes it.

Since Bessel Kok is officially supported by the German Chess
Federation, there might be grounds for an ethics complaint against
Ralf Callenberg for opposing their candidate.