Old March 21st 06, 08:55 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Default A Great Bargain for only $50,000 !!!

A Great Bargain for only $50,000 !!!

When it was announced that the USCF had signed a contract to pay Paul
Hoffmann $50,000 to revamp Chess Life magazine and the uschess.org
website, some of us were wondering what we would be getting for this
fifty thousand dollars.

However, now we have the answer because, for this $50,000, Paul
Hoffman has deleted Larry Evans from Chess Life.

This is a good deal because, since Larry Evans is paid $400 a month to
write his column, we will get our money back in only 11 years and thus
we will earn interest at the rate of 9%.

This is such a good deal that we should go further. If we pay Paul
Hoffman another $50,000 then perhaps he will delete Pal Benko or Andy
Soltis. Paul Hoffman might even give us a volume discount, whereby for
only $75,000 he will delete both Pal Benko and Andy Soltis, two for
almost the price of one. Thus, for a total of only $125,000 he will
delete Larry Evans, Andy Soltis and Pal Benko.

He might even throw in some lesser lights. Perhaps he would be willing
to throw in Bruce Pandolfini for only $25,000. Bruce is best known for
losing a chess game to Sam Sloan in the 1964 Marshall Chess Club
Championship preliminaries, and it would be a shame to let him go.

One column that is absolutely sacrosanct however, and cannot be let
go, is David Browns Key Krackers featuring chess problems and fairy
chess. We absolutely cannot afford to lose that fairy chess, because
we might be accused of invidious discrimination and we might even be
sued under 42 USC 1985.

One thing that does strike me as slightly odd however is that Paul
Hoffmann is not a rated chess player. I do wonder why a non-chess
player is being paid $50,000 to tell us what to read.

Old March 21st 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Are you sure Sam? Maybe he is rated in FIDE our another country!

Marcus Roberts

Old March 22nd 06, 12:27 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

And this asshole Sloan wants people to respect him? What a ****ing
joke! Go **** yourself Sam. Better yet, go **** some more minors.

Old March 22nd 06, 01:27 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On 21 Mar 2006 13:55:52 -0800, "Ray Gordon"
wrote:

Paul Hoffman

http://www.uschess.org/msa/MbrDtlTnmtHst.php?12787591

12787591: PAUL HOFFMAN

Of course Sam Sloan doesn't give a **** about checking the facts.

Sorry. You are absolutely right. Good catch. Paul Hoffman is rated
1916.

Somebody (perhaps it was Don Schultz, but I am not sure) spelled his
name with 2 ns, so I searched for Hoffmann, not Hoffman.

However, are you sure that this is the same person? I thought he lived
in Georgia or Florida. This Paul Hoffman lives in New York.

Old March 22nd 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Sloan the unwise said:

One column that is absolutely sacrosanct however, and cannot be let go, is David Browns Key Krackers featuring chess problems and fairy chess. We absolutely cannot afford to lose that fairy chess, because we might be accused of invidious discrimination and we might even be sued under 42 USC 1985.

Absolutely no fairy chess is featured in Key Krackers. Only directmates
and helpmates with conventional pieces.

Score another one for the master of accuracy.