Old March 22nd 06, 05:12 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Default All or almost all chess columns to be cut from Chess Life

All or almost all chess columns to be cut from Chess Life

When the news came that the Larry Evans chess column was being
cancelled, naturally we assumed that it was a political move, because
several times in past years Evans has been fired by various
politicians, only to be reinstated later.

However, this was followed with the news that the Rohde column had
been cancelled too.

From reading the BINFOS it appears that the new editor backed by Paul
Hoffman has decided to cancel all or almost all of the monthly columns
and replace them with feature articles.

This might be a good move. For example, can anyone think of any other
magazine on any subject that places such great reliance on monthly
columns?

However, I wonder: Without the regular columnists, will there be
enough good material to fill up the magazine?

Old March 22nd 06, 06:51 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

BYRNE AND ROHDE TO GO ALSO

You read it here first. No, no, no. I am not
talking about the sackings of GMs Robert Byrne and
Michael Rohde. They were, along with GM Evans,
clearly forlorn hopes -- as was said of the men
charging into No Man's Land during WWI -- after the
announcement of the Hoffman redesign.

Now, then, GMs Evans and Rohde preside over,
respectively, the Q &A column and the Game of the
Month column. I believe that both of these features
are clearly relevant to any chess magazine, especially
one that projects itself to a large organizational membership.

Neither of these concepts will be dropped
permanently. Therefore, the issue is who will take
over the columns after what is called a "decent interval."

My surmises are Joel Benjamin will finally get
the Evans column and Susan Polgar will be moved into
the Rohde slot. The end result of that latter operation
would be one column fewer (Polgar's current column).

MY ADVICE TO EDITOR LUCAS

Dear Mr. Editor: You've made a mistake sacking Larry
Evans because you will not yet find a better
replacement or, in truth, one as good. If the Sage of
Reno finally starts to lose his marbles -- as all we
must -- then the time will come to sack him. You will
not be contributing to the magazine's authority by
losing Evans right now. That much is clear.

Concerning the Game of the Month, I have not
read GM Rohde's column for a couple of years.
Hitherto his work ranged from the absolutely inspired
(amazingly intricate and clearly ambitious analyses
combined with original insights) to pedestrian
examinations of games seemingly selected for reasons
other than those games truly being candidates for
"Game of the Month."

Whatever you decide to do in terms of replacing
GM Rohde, you need to review the history of the Game
of the Month columns.

For years, Max Euwe contributed such a column to
Chess Review, and it was a model for the concept.
Euwe gave the impression of searching for an important
game that was of a high standard -- the kind of game
that his peers were examining carefully for reasons of
both opening theory and the defining qualities of
their likely opponents.

Svetozar Gligoric took over the column, and he
began to select games based strictly on their
theoretical value re a given opening line. Some of
the games were even relatively poorly played.

You need to lay out for Ms. Polgar a set of
criteria for what I believe will be her Game of the
Month column. You need to insist that she fairly fill
up two pages of the magazine with a decent, researched
introduction explaining why the game was chosen and
its significance followed by a carefully analyzed
game. The reader needs to have the feeling that she
is truly surveying quite a few candidate games before
presenting the one she happens to select.

Old March 22nd 06, 07:02 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess
jr jr is offline

The board just blew $50,000 of our dues money to dumb down Chess Life.

Congratulations are in order.