Old March 22nd 06, 02:24 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.magyar

Default Polgar column controversy

Polgar column controversy

There have been a lot of behind-the-scenes discussions about Susan
Polgar's monthly column in Chess Life magazine entitled "Opening
Secrets". Former Chess Life editor Kalev Pehme in a recent posting
called Polgar's column "inferior". Larry Parr has just suggested that
Polgar be told to write a Game-of-the-Month column instead.

Both are wrong. The Polgar column is the best and the most important
regular monthly column in Chess Life. Every month, Polgar discusses a
new move or recently popular old move. She writes about what the top
grandmasters today are playing. Her articles are right at the leading
edge, indeed the cutting edge, of chess opening theory and practice.

Watch what happens when any active grandmaster picks up a current
issue of Chess Life. He is going to turn to the Polgar column and
ignore the rest of the magazine.

Now, take a look at the other columns. None of the other columnist are
active players any more. They answer questions from beginners. They
write about historical events. None of them will tell you what opening
to play in the big tournament game tomorrow.

I will tell you a little secret: It was because of the Polgar column
that I won my famous Grudge Match against Bill Brock in Chicago, June
2005. I played a line that I had never played before in my life but
which I had learned about by reading Polgar's column in the current
Chess Life. Bill Brock had not read the column. That is why he lost
the chess match. I really should give Zsuzsa Polgar part of the one
thousand dollars I won by winning that game. On the other hand, I
think I will keep the cash.

Why is the Polgar column controversial? I think because of the way it
came to Chess Life. Paul Truong, who was holding Susan's power of
attorney, signed a secret contract with the now disgraced Executive
Director Frank Niro. This contract was one of the unpleasant surprises
the Executive Board discovered a few months after Frank Niro left
office. The contract gave Polgar a longer term contract at higher pay
than any of the other established columnists were receiving, more than
Grandmasters Evans, Benko, Soltis, Byrne, Rohde or Alburt were
receiving. More than that, Paul Truong has a history of getting into
big fights and arguments with everybody he deals with. He certainly
got into a lot of big arguments with Kalev Pehme when Pehme was editor
of Chess Life.

Nevertheless, there is one column that needs to stay in Chess Life,
and that is the Polgar column. By the way, some are suggesting that
the Polgar column should stay because she is a woman. That is not the
reason. Her column should stay because it is the best.

Old March 22nd 06, 03:35 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.magyar

I agree. The Polgar column is one of the best they have.

Old March 22nd 06, 05:26 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.magyar

I don't think she's married. Most of the top American women players are
not married: Polgar, Zatonskih, Krush, Shahade, Abrahamyan, Batchimeg,
etc. I think Goletiani is married but not 100% sure.

Old March 22nd 06, 06:27 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.magyar

Boggle. She has been married for years. Has 2 kids. You are as
bad as Sloan in getting your facts straight, Zito.

Old March 22nd 06, 08:08 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.magyar

"Chess Freak" Boggle. She has been married for years. Has 2 kids. You
are as
bad as Sloan in getting your facts straight, Zito.

Melissa Etheridge has three kids. Most of those Chess Chicks are
crack-lickers and rug-munchers.

Old March 22nd 06, 08:25 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.magyar

And your point is...?

Old March 22nd 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.magyar

_
"By the end of 2001, the pair had split."
- Jennifer Shahade

Old March 23rd 06, 06:12 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.magyar

John J. wrote:
You're right. Polgar's column is very good. I hope it's not cancelled.
Is that guy Paul Truong her husband? He seems joined at the hip with her.

Susan Polgar married Jacob Shutzman. ("Queen of the Kings Game"
was written by Susan Polgar and Jacob Shutzman.) Susan Polgar
has been seeking to divorce Jacob Shutzman. I am not certain of
the current state of those legal proceedings.

Paul Truong is Susan Polgar's business manager and literary
collaborator. As I recall, Susan Polgar has described Paul
Truong as her best friend.

There has been some speculation about the private relationship
between Susan Polgar and Paul Truong. As I recall, Tim Hanke
(a former USCF Executive Board member) once wrote clearly
enough, though not quite naming them explicitly, that he believed
that Susan Polgar and Paul Truong have a romantic relationship.
In response, Jerome Bibuld rebuked Tim Hanke for speculating
inappropriately about a private relationship.

In my view, it's unfair to attribute responsibility (as some writers
in RGC* tend to do) to Paul Truong for everything that has been
done by Susan Polgar. As far as I know, for instance, Paul
Truong had no responsibility for the writing of "Queen of the
Kings Game" by Susan Polgar and Jacob Shutzman.

--Nick

Old March 23rd 06, 02:41 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.magyar

Andrew Zito wrote:
I don't think she's married. Most of the top American women players are
not married: Polgar, Zatonskih, Krush, Shahade, Abrahamyan, Batchimeg,
etc. I think Goletiani is married but not 100% sure.

Polgar, Zatonskih, and Goletiani are married, although Polgar, who has
two kids, might be divorced now. Krush very notoriously has a
boyfriend. She is always making out with him on the couch at major
chess tournaments. I was shocked and disbelieving when I first saw it.
Abrahamyan and Batchimeg are still teenagers, too young to be married.
If you want to know about Shahade, you should buy and read her book,
"Chess Bitch".

However, all of this is very unfair. Why not ask whether Andrew Zito,
Paul Rubin and Ray Gordon have ever been married? Have they ever even
had a girlfriend? I suspect that they have never had one, and never
will have one either.