Old March 25th 06, 05:38 AM posted to alt.chess

Default Look, I Just Want to Enjoy

I'm an older guy who used to play a little (very little) chess a
zillion years ago.

I want to ease back in a bit and be able to play and enjoy. I'm not
going to be a chess champ, I'm not all that great at seeing a zillion
moves ahead, I have trouble often with one!

I'd like to settle on a couple of good basic openings and work my way
through as a duffer, doing the best I can. There are chess clubs here,
but I suspect they are full of people who would eat me for breakfast.

So, if I wanted to be able to sit down and play chess and, if possible,
get better inch by inch, where should I start? I'm overwelmed by the
insane number of sites that offer lessons and advice and would love any
recommendation on one that I can sit with, read, and work with to get
the basics down.

Secondly, I'd like a recommendation of a good chess program, and by
good I don't mean one geared toward long time players going for a
hernia-inducing game. One that will give me a challenge at this low
level, give me a chance of winning and doesn't do 12 move forks while I
stare at the screen trying to make a decision on my next move.

Possible?

I thank you all for any bit of advice or encouragement.

Thanks!

Big Easy