Old March 25th 06, 01:31 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Default "Americans can be found in the playing hall when the games are not taking place even at night"

In the book "Chessdon" By Don Schultz, page 318-319 there is a letter
from Grandmaster Geller dated August 22, 1972 to the icelandic
organizers of the Fischer-Spassky Match. The letter complains:

"It is surprising that the Americans can be found in the playing hall
when the games are not taking place even at night ..."

Now it can be revealed that that was me, Sam Sloan. I flew to Iceland
late at night after the 13th game, went to the playing hall and then
returned to New York so quickly that few chess players even knew that
I had been to Reykjavik, except for Lombardy who came to meet me at
Keflavik Airport, and Fred Cramer.

Old March 25th 06, 01:50 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

"Sam Sloan" Now it can be revealed that that was me, Sam Sloan. I flew to
Iceland
late at night after the 13th game, went to the playing hall and then
returned to New York so quickly that few chess players even knew that
I had been to Reykjavik,

What an idiot. So you spent as much money as if you had gone to the full
tournament, just to visit the empty playing hall by yourself? YOU ARE CRAZY.

Old March 25th 06, 05:40 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

"Jerzy" Paula, for sure you are not a fan of chess. Sam is so he flew
there and
that`s the difference between you and him. Surely you would not spend a

cent
for any chess event.

I have spent money on a chess event. It sucked, considering how much it
cost. Joining the USCF just to play in a tournament blows chunks.

BTW, if Sam is such a fan, why didn't he go to the whole event? What is the
point of looking at the empty chess hall after it is closed? THAT IS CRAZY.

Old March 25th 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Paula Lemming wrote:
"Jerzy" Paula, for sure you are not a fan of chess. Sam is so he flew
there and
that`s the difference between you and him. Surely you would not spend a

cent
for any chess event.

I have spent money on a chess event. It sucked, considering how much it
cost. Joining the USCF just to play in a tournament blows chunks.

BTW, if Sam is such a fan, why didn't he go to the whole event? What is the
point of looking at the empty chess hall after it is closed? THAT IS CRAZY.

You should read up on chess history, and then you would know that was
to put the radio transmitters in the chairs.

Old March 26th 06, 10:22 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

"Paula Lemming" wrote in message
link.net...
"Jerzy" Paula, for sure you are not a fan of chess. Sam is so he flew
there and
that`s the difference between you and him. Surely you would not spend a

cent
for any chess event.

I have spent money on a chess event. It sucked, considering how much it
cost. Joining the USCF just to play in a tournament blows chunks.

Who cares about the USCF here apart from US citizens ?

BTW, if Sam is such a fan, why didn't he go to the whole event? What is
the
point of looking at the empty chess hall after it is closed? THAT IS
CRAZY.

Paula you are neither a chess fan nor a man so you will never understand
them.

Old April 26th 06, 11:39 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 13:50:04 GMT, "Paula Lemming"
wrote:

"Sam Sloan" Now it can be revealed that that was me, Sam Sloan. I flew to
Iceland
late at night after the 13th game, went to the playing hall and then
returned to New York so quickly that few chess players even knew that
I had been to Reykjavik,

What an idiot. So you spent as much money as if you had gone to the full
tournament, just to visit the empty playing hall by yourself? YOU ARE CRAZY.

I did not say that I was by myself. There were two other Americans
with me. I just made some adjustments to the chairs and changed the
tables and the inlaid boards. Then I flew back to New York so that
almost nobody even knew that I had been there.