Old April 27th 06, 03:47 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.architecture,alt.chess

Default Has anybody ever actually designed a House Shaped like a Rook?

Has anybody ever actually designed a House Shaped like a Rook?

In his famous 1962 interview, Bobby Fischer said:

"I got strong ideas about my house. I'm going to hire the best
architect and have him build it in the shape of a rook. Yeh, that's
for me. Class. Spiral staircases, parapets, everything. I want to live
the rest of my life in a house built exactly like a rook."

This seems like an interesting idea. Has anybody ever done this or
designed one?

Old April 27th 06, 03:56 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.architecture,alt.chess

Sam Sloan wrote:
Has anybody ever actually designed a House Shaped like a Rook?

In his famous 1962 interview, Bobby Fischer said:

"I got strong ideas about my house. I'm going to hire the best
architect and have him build it in the shape of a rook. Yeh, that's
for me. Class. Spiral staircases, parapets, everything. I want to live
the rest of my life in a house built exactly like a rook."

This seems like an interesting idea. Has anybody ever done this or
designed one?

What's another name for a rook? There's your answer.

Old April 27th 06, 04:32 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.architecture,alt.chess

(Sam Sloan) writes:
Has anybody ever actually designed a House Shaped like a Rook?

http://pkchess.bizland.com/ak/rook-house-story.html

There is also an album about the concept:

http://www.drownedinsound.com/articles/13307
Old April 27th 06, 04:49 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.architecture,alt.chess

If you search for "tower house" or "Turmhaus", you'll find a number of
examples of old houses that are pretty close.

Here's one in Switzerland:

http://www.picswiss.ch/Nidwalden/NW-l4-02.html

Larry T.

Old April 27th 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.architecture,alt.chess

Larry Tapper wrote:
If you search for "tower house" or "Turmhaus", you'll find a number of
examples of old houses that are pretty close.

Here's one in Switzerland:

http://www.picswiss.ch/Nidwalden/NW-l4-02.html

Larry T.

Best example I've seen is this:

http://www.bcarquitectos.com/imagtra...eleon_1992.pdf
(warning, PDF link!)

--
Edgar
(The advertising below is not authorized by me. You agree to use any

Old April 27th 06, 06:10 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.architecture,alt.chess
Pat Pat is offline

Sort of like this?

http://www.dilbert.com/comics/dilbert/duh/

Old April 28th 06, 11:46 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.architecture,alt.chess
Don Don is offline

Hah!

"Ray Gordon" wrote in message
om...
Most every king before 1500?

Old April 28th 06, 01:03 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.architecture,alt.chess

Here is a great article about this.

http://pkchess.bizland.com/ak/rook-house-story.html

Now, there is a new development. Bobby lives in Iceland which, due to
the cold temperature, makes it the ideal place to build a house shaped
like a rook.

Bobby has money now, so why not propose to really build his house for
him?