Old May 4th 06, 02:50 PM posted to soc.culture.puerto-rico,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Default Puerto Rico Chess Federation

I do not know when Puerto Rico joined FIDE but I suspect that it was
not long before the 1969 FIDE Congress in San Juan which I attanded.
(A tournament was held at that time where I defeated Hugh Meyers and
drew International Master from Chile Rene Letelier. Walter Browne got
his grandmaster title at a tournament held there at the same time.)

The President of the Puerto Rico Chess Federation was Narciso Rabell
Mendez, who also ran for FIDE President twice.
http://www.fide.com/ratings/card.phtml?event=3100332

Rabell was an "Independista" meaning that he wanted independence for
Puerto Rico. He was a member of the same group that shot up the United
States Congress. His cousin was serving life in prison for planting a
bomb.

I suspect that this belief that Puerto Rico should be independent from
the USA is what led Rabell to apply for and receive membership in
FIDE.

About one month ago the Puerto Rican Consulate wrote me asking if I
knew the whereabouts of Narcisso Rabell Mendez. I suppose that they
wrote me because I mention Rabell on my website. I wrote back that I
have not seen Rabell since 1986 and I have no idea what ever happened
to him.

Old May 4th 06, 06:23 PM posted to soc.culture.puerto-rico,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Default Get your facts straight, please.

First of all, PR had been a long time member of FIDE before the 1969 San
Juan Open. Probab;y since the 1950's.

'Secondly, Narciso Rabell Mendez was no more an 'Independentista' or
connected to the Island's independence movement than you are. His cousin
was. I know Narciso personally. He was a friend of mine.

Your confusion stems from the fact that his cousin's name is Narciso Rabell
Martinez. Very close, indeed.

Back in the 1970's Narciso was a neighbour of mine. He lived about 10
townhouses up from mine when a powerfull terrorist's bomb went off. I was
the first person on the scene and I determined that Narciso and his lovely
family weren't there. The bomb left a 6" deep crater in his solid concrete
doorstep and blew out all the windows in his house. Apparently, the extreme
right terrorists mistook him for his cousin, just as you did.

Old May 4th 06, 06:28 PM posted to soc.culture.puerto-rico,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

John J. wrote:
First of all, PR had been a long time member of FIDE before the 1969 San
Juan Open. Probab;y since the 1950's.

The first Olympiad Puerto Rico played in was 1956. I believe this
means they joined FIDE no later than that.

Old May 4th 06, 07:28 PM posted to soc.culture.puerto-rico,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

John J. wrote:
Was that the one where the Frank Benitez (PR) eeked out a draw with Keres?
Do you have that info?

It looks like that was 1958:

SICILIAN def. DRAGON var.
Keres P. - Benites F.
:, Munich OL,1958.

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 g6 6. f4 Nc6 7. Bc4
Bd7 8. Nxc6 Bxc6 9. Qe2 d5 10. exd5 Nxd5 11. Nxd5 Bxd5 12. Qe5 Bxc4 13.
Qxh8 Qd5 14. Kf2 f6 15. Be3 Qh5 16. Rhe1 Kf7 17. Bd4 e5 18. fxe5 Qh4
19. Kg1 Qxd4 20. Kh1 Qh4 21. Re3 Re8 22. Rh3 Qxh3 23. Qxf6 Kg8 24. gxh3
Bd5 25. Kg1 Bc5 26. Kf1 Rf8 27. Qxf8 Kxf8 28. Rd1 Bc6 29. a3 a5 30. Ke2
Ke7 31. Kd3 Bb5 32. Ke4 Ke6 33. Rd8 Bg1 34. Rd6 Ke7 35. Rd2 Bc5 36. h4
Ke6 37. Rd8 Be7 38. Rh8 Bxh4 39. Rxh7 Be7 40. Rh6 Be8 41. h4 Bf8
[:]

Old May 4th 06, 07:34 PM posted to soc.culture.puerto-rico,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Thanks, Taylor.

Francisco(Frank) was such a nice guy and a gentleman. He showed me the game
but I had forgotten it.

He told me that the team Captains negotiated for a long time about whether
to agree to a draw or not.

Old May 4th 06, 11:03 PM posted to soc.culture.puerto-rico,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

John J. wrote:
Thanks, Taylor.

You are very welcome.

Francisco(Frank) was such a nice guy and a gentleman. He showed me the game
but I had forgotten it.

He told me that the team Captains negotiated for a long time about whether
to agree to a draw or not.

Yes, that's important in Olympiads. The captains have to consider how
it affects the team's overall standing, so it's not just up to the
players, as it would be in most other tournaments.

Old May 5th 06, 11:41 AM posted to soc.culture.puerto-rico,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

--- In , [email protected] wrote:

Dear Sam:

I know Rabell and am not aware of what you say about him regarding his
separatist activities, though I have no reason think otherwise other

than I always
found him friendly to the USCF. I do believe he helped his friend Ed
Edmondson in Ed's quest to help Fischer become world champion.

Rabell was an engineer and made a great deal of money in construction
contracts with Venezuela sponsored by his very close friend Rafael

Tudela.

Rabell started the World Youth Championship tournaments.

Right. I was there, as usual. I was at the World Championship for
Under-14, Under-12, and Under-10 in San Juan. I was there as the
trainer and
manager of the Polgar Sisters. Judit and Sophia Polgar tied for second
in the World Under-14. Winner was Joel Lautier.

Have you ever played in a tournament directed by Narcisso Rabell
Mendez? I did not think so. I have. His tournaments are absolutely the
worst, worst, worst ever. They are run just to boost himself, not for
the benefit of the players.

In the 1986 events, Rabell refused to post a wall chart. Everybody had
to keep their own notes to figure out who was winning. Pairings were
made in secret. Nobody could figure out why he made certain pairings.

One little Puerto Rican kid was given full point byes in the first two
rounds in the World Under-10. This put him in first place. Then
headlines in the San Juan newspapers the following day: "Puerto Rican
boy is the LEADER IN WORLD CHESS CHAMPIONSHIP".

The kid lost all the rest of his games.

I could go on and on about the many antics of Mr. Rabell. He has done
so many bad things it would take me hours to write them all. Let me
just say that Rabell is absolutely the worst. The worst. The worst.

As far as Edmondson being his friend, Edmondson kicked him out of the
USCF. That is why Puerto Rico is no longer a USCF affiliate. This
happened after the 1969 "World Open Chess Championship" in San Juan.
This was the best tournament of my life. I beat High Myers who played
his Nimzovitch Defense. I drew International Master Rene Letellier
from Chile. I lost only to IM Gutierrez from Colombia. I won his queen
with a nice combination, but then lost the game in time trouble. The
game was published in the Colombian chess magazine. (Does anybody have
it? I would like to get the score.) I won all the rest of my games. It
was supposed to have been USCF rated but never was due to a dispute
between Rabell and Edmondson so I never got all those rating points.
That was the last USCF tournament ever held in Puerto Rico.

Sam Sloan

On Thu, 04 May 2006 13:50:36 GMT,
(Sam Sloan)

Old May 5th 06, 12:30 PM posted to soc.culture.puerto-rico,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Here is the letter. It is dated February 6, 2006:

Mr. Rabell Mendez

Barbara Hostettler to Sloan
Feb 6

Dear Sir,

I am trying to find a contact address for Mr. Narciso Rabell Mendez.
Would it be possible for you to help me in that matter? I greatly
appreciate your help.

Best regards,

Barbara Hostettler
Hon. Consul of Switzerland for Puerto Rico and
the U.S. Virgin Islands
816 Calle Diana
Urb. Dos Pinos
San Juan, PR 00923-2334
Tels & Faxes 787 - 751-3182
787 - 977-0286
e-mail
Old May 5th 06, 06:39 PM posted to soc.culture.puerto-rico,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

As far as Edmondson being his friend, Edmondson kicked him out of the
USCF. That is why Puerto Rico is no longer a USCF affiliate. This
happened after the 1969 "World Open Chess Championship" in San Juan.
This was the best tournament of my life. I beat High Myers who played
his Nimzovitch Defense. I drew International Master Rene Letellier
from Chile. I lost only to IM Gutierrez from Colombia. I won his queen
with a nice combination, but then lost the game in time trouble. The
game was published in the Colombian chess magazine. (Does anybody have
it? I would like to get the score.) I won all the rest of my games. It
was supposed to have been USCF rated but never was due to a dispute
between Rabell and Edmondson so I never got all those rating points.

Sam,

I believe you had previously posted that you actually beat Letellier?

That was the last USCF tournament ever held in Puerto Rico.

Not true. When I left the island for the second time, in 1986, USCF
tournaments were alive and well. Even up to 1969 there were not that many.

I would also appreciate it if you would stop posting that Narciso is
involved in the 'seperatist' movement. He's not in any way, shape, or form.
You just don't know what you're talking about. You should stop defaming him.