Old May 18th 06, 03:10 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Default Open letter by Bessel Kok regarding proposal for Chess Unity

Open letter by Bessel Kok regarding proposal for Chess Unity
15.05.2006

OPEN LETTER TO PROPOSAL BY MR IGNATIUS LEONG

Dear Mr Leong,

I have studied your open letter and your attempt to propose some form
of compromise. The Right Move Team and its supporting Federations have
some obvious concerns with this particular form of compromise which
has occurred in several past FIDE elections. The Right Move is not
afraid of the ballot box. We are in an election campaign precisely for
the purpose of making badly needed changes in FIDE, not perpetuating
the status quo.

FIDE Statutes have been ignored consistently in the past, always with
the claim of being in the interest of chess. We, on the other hand,
have pledged and carried out an open, honest, transparent campaign
from the very first day. A large working team of advisors from all
areas of the chess world have contributed their ideas and we have
formed a range of proposals based upon their contributions.

Federations have been crying out for years, for somebody to listen to
them and to work with them in developing chess in countries all over
the world. They have been asking to participate in the management of
FIDE which, unfortunately, has been restricted to a few
back-scratching friends. We have strong support from many Federations
all over the world who want to see a new FIDE based on competence,
strategic direction, open communication and more importantly, honesty
and transparency.

You proposal suffers from two fatal defects.

* Firstly, it is contrary to the FIDE statutes and is illegal.

* Secondly, we will not misplace the trust placed in us by the
Federations supporting us and desiring a change in line with the
programs and ideas we have delivered to date.

We ask both sides to respect the outcome of the election. Furthermore,
when elected, the Right Move will welcome with open arms anyone who
wishes to work for the good of chess, regardless of how they may have
voted. In this way we will achieve unity. I am sure that anybody who
truly holds chess close to his heart will continue to support it, no
matter what role he may play in a future FIDE.

We therefore respectfully decline your proposal.

Bessel Kok
Candidate for FIDE President