Old May 27th 06, 05:01 AM posted to alt.chess
tjb tjb is offline

Default [Newbie] Tempo Question

I'm learning about time in chess, and I've come across an example which has
confused me. I'd like to resolve this confusion quickly, since until I
have, I don't want to continue reading the book, and I'd like to finish the
book soon. So any thoughts will be appreciated!

My book presents a game which begins thus:

1. e4 e5
2. Nf3 Nc6
3. d4

At this point it reads that "this move [d4], called the Scotch Opening, is
no longer popular because White will lose a tempo recapturing the pawn on
d4".

I don't understand how this is bad, since both White and Black will lose a
tempo each, making all things equal in that respect. I understand that if
only White were to lose a tempo then it would bad for White.

Have I misunderstood something, or has the author made an error?

Old May 28th 06, 09:11 PM posted to alt.chess,rec.games.chess.misc
Ron Ron is offline

In article ,
tjb wrote:

[...]

The author is wrong.

The Scotch has been very popular over the last 20 years. At the top
level, it's probably second only to the Ruy - and to the extent it's
popularity may have waned in the last five years, the reasons are far
more sophisticated than the supposed loss of a tempo here.

You're absolutely correct: 3. ...ed is not a developing move for black,
so it doesn't matter than 4.Nxd4 isn't a developing move for white. No
tempo is lost.

-Ron
Old May 29th 06, 12:14 AM posted to alt.chess,rec.games.chess.misc
tjb tjb is offline

Ron wrote:

The author is wrong.

The Scotch has been very popular over the last 20 years. At the top
level, it's probably second only to the Ruy - and to the extent it's
popularity may have waned in the last five years, the reasons are far
more sophisticated than the supposed loss of a tempo here.

You're absolutely correct: 3. ...ed is not a developing move for black,
so it doesn't matter than 4.Nxd4 isn't a developing move for white. No
tempo is lost.

Thanks. I've been pulling my hair out over this for weeks.
Old May 30th 06, 02:29 PM posted to alt.chess,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer

tjb wrote:
At this point it reads that "this move [d4], called the Scotch Opening, is
no longer popular because White will lose a tempo recapturing the pawn on
d4".

I don't understand how this is bad, since both White and Black will lose a
tempo each, making all things equal in that respect. I understand that if
only White were to lose a tempo then it would bad for White.

Have I misunderstood something, or has the author made an error?

I guess the author may have been oversimplifying. It's absolutely true,
White doesn't lose a tempo because Black also needs a tempo to capture.
In subsequent moves, Black attacks the knight and then White has to
invest an additional tempo. Either by trading off a knight at c6, where
the black knight needed only one tempo to arrive at c6 and the white
knight needed three (white gains back one tempo because Black has to
recapture, so in total he loses just one tempo) or by defending the
knight with c3 which uses up a tempo that is no developing move. As
compensation White either deteriorates Black's pawn structure or
maintains a centralized knight.

White trades:

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 exd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nxc6 (or 5. Nc3 Bb4 6.
Nxc6) 5...bxc6.

White defends his position in the center:

4...Bc5 5. Be3 Qf6 6. c3 Nge7.

Claus-Juergen