Old June 1st 06, 02:41 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Default USCF Forum Censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanstaafl
Now that we're there, moving seems like a really
dumb idea. How many times would you suggest we move our headquarters?
Every time the board changes? Give me a break.
You are wrong, because we are not there yet.

I do not know the latest statistics but the last I knew the USCF only
had 7 employees in Crossville. The rest are either in New Windsor or
are working out of their homes. The USCF still has an office in New
Windsor and all of the archives and records are still in New Windsor.

This is the problem: The logistics in moving all of these old records
from New Windsor to Crossville is considerable.

Of course, we could simply cut the Gordian Knot, as one USCF Executive
Director did, I believe it was Richard Meyerson, who simply threw all
the old USCF records in the trash. That really solved the problem!

Many USCF employees work out their homes on the Internet and are not
in Crossville. Examples are Mike Nolan and Ernie Schlich. I believe
that Laura Martz, the person who deleted my posting, is in this
category.

I am told that Joel Channing, who provided the swing vote, voted the
way he did because he did not understand the severity of the problem.
I know that efforts are being made to convince him to change his vote.

Old June 1st 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

.

I do not know the latest statistics but the last I knew the USCF only
had 7 employees in Crossville. The rest are either in New Windsor or
are working out of their homes. The USCF still has an office in New
Windsor and all of the archives and records are still in New Windsor.

This is the problem: The logistics in moving all of these old records
from New Windsor to Crossville is considerable.

When I was asking about early USCF records [late 60s] I was told that the
records were thrown out. No one answered my follow up questions about if a
SUMMARY of the records had been made.

I assume Sam Sloan is still referring to paper records.

Phil

Old June 1st 06, 03:26 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

"Chess One" I assume Sam Sloan is still referring to paper records.

I imagine that moving the records involves renting a truck and loading it
with the boxes, and driving to Tennessee and unloading the truck.

Since most of these records should be on computers already, the paper
records are probably of the nature that they really do not need to be
handled much except for reference purposes. The hardest part is properly
itemizing and labeling the records when they are being boxed for shipment.

Old June 1st 06, 06:43 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

"Frank Fistly" wrote in message
k.net...
"Chess One" I assume Sam Sloan is still referring to paper records.

I imagine that moving the records involves renting a truck and loading it
with the boxes, and driving to Tennessee and unloading the truck.

Since most of these records should be on computers already, the paper
records are probably of the nature that they really do not need to be
handled much except for reference purposes.

Right - probably pre-1985?

The hardest part is properly
itemizing and labeling the records when they are being boxed for shipment.

I wonder if they need to be moved at all - and digitised in summary form in
New Windsor. I am not sure what the 'records' are, but if its results of
game scores then digitising them could happen anywhere.

Phil

Old June 4th 06, 12:18 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Frank Fistly wrote:
"Chess One" I assume Sam Sloan is still referring to paper records.

I imagine that moving the records involves renting a truck and loading it
with the boxes, and driving to Tennessee and unloading the truck.

Since most of these records should be on computers already, the paper
records are probably of the nature that they really do not need to be
handled much except for reference purposes. The hardest part is properly
itemizing and labeling the records when they are being boxed for shipment.

The issue is that Chess Life magazine up until now has been produced in
the New Windsor office. The records consist of old photographs, games
scores, tournament records, submitted manuscripts, back issues, and the
sort of material that every magazine needs to keep publishing.

More importantly, all the experienced staff is in New Windsor. None of
then are willing to move to Crossville. They can all get good jobs
whrere they are or in nearby New York City.

So, the final move to Crossville essentially involves firing the art
director and other staff members who have been putting out the magazine
up until now and then finding new qualified people in Crossville
Tennessee capable of doing or learning the same job.

How easy do you think it will be for them to do that?

Old June 4th 06, 12:27 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

"samsloan" The issue is that Chess Life magazine up until now has been
produced in
the New Windsor office. The records consist of old photographs, games

scores, tournament records, submitted manuscripts, back issues, and the sort
of material that every magazine needs to keep publishing.

all that can be scanned onto a computer disk and/or posted to the internet
where it will live forever in cyberspace.

More importantly, all the experienced staff is in New Windsor. None of
then are willing to move to Crossville. the final move to Crossville

essentially involves firing the art director and other staff members

Considering that Chess Life is a piece of trash magazine which has NO art
value and only black & white photos (used very sparingly); I imagine that
they can go to the local Crossville high school's journalism class and get a
full staff that will produce the same Chess Life at internship rates thus
saving the USCF the thousands that they are over-paying to the over-priced
New York hacks that are producing Chess Life now.

Old June 4th 06, 08:24 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Użytkownik "Dan Shelley" napisał w wiadomo¶ci
k.net...
"samsloan" The issue is that Chess Life magazine up until now has been
produced in
the New Windsor office. The records consist of old photographs, games

scores, tournament records, submitted manuscripts, back issues, and the
sort
of material that every magazine needs to keep publishing.

all that can be scanned onto a computer disk and/or posted to the internet
where it will live forever in cyberspace.

I doubt that any serious chess journalist will ever do such a thing.

More importantly, all the experienced staff is in New Windsor. None of
then are willing to move to Crossville. the final move to Crossville

essentially involves firing the art director and other staff members

Considering that Chess Life is a piece of trash magazine which has NO art
value and only black & white photos (used very sparingly); I imagine that
they can go to the local Crossville high school's journalism class and get
full staff that will produce the same Chess Life at internship rates thus
saving the USCF the thousands that they are over-paying to the over-priced
New York hacks that are producing Chess Life now.

You have a big imagination, Dan. Hehe "Crossville high school's journalism
class " :-) Now I know reason why you folks moved there :-)

Old June 4th 06, 02:08 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Dan Shelley wrote:

Considering that Chess Life is a piece of trash magazine which has NO art
value and only black & white photos (used very sparingly); I imagine that
they can go to the local Crossville high school's journalism class and get a
full staff that will produce the same Chess Life at internship rates thus
saving the USCF the thousands that they are over-paying to the over-priced
New York hacks that are producing Chess Life now.

One of the reasons given for the move to Crossville was that it is a
low-cost area and the USCF would be able to hire workers cheaper there
than New York.

This has proven to be completely wrong. All of the new hires in
Crossville are being paid higher salaries than the people they replaced
in New Windsor.

Everything has proven to be more expensive in Crossville. Building
materials are more expensive. Labor is more expensive. The building
just completed in Crossville could have been built in New York City at
must lower cost.

Any more bright ideas?

Old June 4th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

"samsloan" One of the reasons given for the move to Crossville was that
it is a
low-cost area and the USCF would be able to hire workers cheaper there
than New York.

IT IS.

Everything has proven to be more expensive in Crossville.

Wrong. Everything in Crossville has been more expensive because Marinello
and her pals are hiring their best friends to do the work at the highest
rates possible. The move to Crossville was not just freak chance, there were
people there that Marinello wanted to be with, and friends that could kick
back money to her. Out of all the places around, why Crossville?

And if the voters got rid of the Marinello people, you could re-hire staff
in a place like Crossville for minimum wage.