Old June 23rd 06, 09:04 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,misc.legal

Default Grant Perks paid Beatriz Marinello most of the $13,926.00

Grant Perks paid Beatriz Marinello most of the $13,926.00

I had been trying to figure out why Grant Perks would defend the
obviously exorbitant amount of $13,926.00 which Beatriz Marinello
took for her expenses in 2005, when suddenly I remembered that she
took most of that money while Grant Perks was CFO.

When Beatriz Marinello took over as USCF President in August 2003,
Frank Niro immediately resigned as Executive Director. Grant Perks was
appointed in his place.

However, Perks only lasted a few months before he was fired by
Beatriz. I was surprised at this because Perks seems to be a nice guy
who knows what he is doing. However, one board member told me
privately, "Perks was terrible. He didn't do anything."

(No. I am not willing to reveal who said that, but that is a real
quote.)

Perks was replaced by Bill Goichberg. Goichberg later appointed Ken
Thomas as his CFO.

The problem was that Ken Thomas was a real hard-assed ******* who
would not give Beatriz Marinello any significant amount of money. Some
flimsy excuse about it being prohibited by the by-laws.

Goichberg and Thomas left simultaneously on December 31, 2004.

Starting on January 3, 2005, Beatriz Marinello appointed herself as
Chief Operating Officer. She did this because there is a specific rule
that states that the president cannot be the Executive Director. To
evade this rule, Beatriz left the position of Executive Director
vacant and gave herself the title of Chief Operating Officer.

Beatriz then appointed Grant Perks as the Chief Financial Officer,
which seemed odd because Beatriz had fired Perks as Executive Director
one year earlier.

However, as it turned out Grant Perks was a much better Chief
Financial Officer than Ken Thomas had been because, whereas Thomas had
refused to give Beatriz any money, while Perks was there, his
checkbook was always open for her. Perks was a real sweet guy and any
time Beatriz wanted money, Perks was always there to give it to her.

Since both Perks and Beatriz had check signing authority it is not
known to us outsiders who signed the checks, but one thing is certain
is that it was not the VP of Finance, who is supposed to oversee these
matters, because the VP of Finance had written a letter dated January
2005 stating that he had reenlisted in the National Guard and had
volunteered to go fight in Iraq. He has not been heard from since.

Here are the dates of checks and the amounts taken by Beatriz
Marinello while Grant Perks was CFO:

Date Check Number Amount

1/6/05 63250 824.79
1/13/05 63306 185.81
1/13/05 63292 654.77
1/20/05 63314 320.00
2/3/05 63383 738.90
3/1/05 63529 3,898.36
3/16/05 63566 668.30
4/12/05 64141 1,025.00
5/2/05 64321 1,325.00

$10,833.11

Please note the big item of $3,898.36 paid on March 1, 2005.

Strangely, in spite of giving all this money to Beatriz Marinello, she
eventually fired Grant Perks again anyway.

One wonders why.

Under these circumstances, it is fairly clear why Perks would want to
be elected to the board.

Old June 24th 06, 12:39 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,misc.legal

Default Grant Perks paid Beatriz Marinello in many ways

Sam Sloan wrote:

[...]

Date Check Number Amount

1/6/05 63250 824.79
1/13/05 63306 185.81
1/13/05 63292 654.77
1/20/05 63314 320.00
2/3/05 63383 738.90
3/1/05 63529 3,898.36
3/16/05 63566 668.30
4/12/05 64141 1,025.00
5/2/05 64321 1,325.00

$10,833.11

Please note the big item of $3,898.36 paid on March 1, 2005.

Strangely, in spite of giving all this money to Beatriz Marinello, she
eventually fired Grant Perks again anyway.

One wonders why.

Under these circumstances, it is fairly clear why Perks would want to
be elected to the board.

Sam Sloan

The other serious question is did Marinello sit on Grant's face? My
sources said that she did and that's sexual harassment. No one wants to
eat her lesbian pussy. Is that one of the Perks for being Madame
President?

Old July 2nd 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,misc.legal,alt.accounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfeditor

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsloan
The by-laws require that the VP of Finance
"sign-off" on all payments to the President. That means that in order
for these payments to be legal, there must be a piece of paper bearing
the signature of Tim Hanke authorizing Grant Perks, CFO, to pay
$13,926.00 to Beatriz Marinello.

Sam Sloan
Please supply a Bylaws citation supporting this statement.
I have been searching for this. This has always been the practice that
the President signs off on the expense money paid to the board members
except that the VP of Finance signs off on all payments to the
President.

Tim Hanke did not sign off on the $13,926 paid to Beatriz Marinello.

Although I know that this is the practice I am still searching for the
rule.

Regarding Bill Hall certifying that a "need" existed to borrow
$561,000 to build a building, that was done on or about July 27, 2005
and construction started the following day.

The real "need" was that the votes had been counted three days earlier
on July 23, 2005. The incumbent candidates were all defeated and the
newly elected board was going to take office on August 14, 2005. The
new board informed Bill Hall and the office that they did not want to
build a new building. Therefore, Bill Hall "neded" to start the
construction of the new building before August 14, 2005 because
otherwise the building would never be built.

Please look at Section 9 and 10 of the by-laws which state that no
assets of the USCF may be emcumbered and no borrowing of more than
$200,000 may take place unless the Executive Director certifies that
there is a "need" for such borrowing. Normal understand of this
terminology would be that the USCF was going to go out of business if
we did not get this money, not that we needed to squander our entire
remaining assets on a new white elephant of a building.