Old June 25th 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,misc.legal,alt.accounting

Default USCF only owns the Land Directly Under the Building in Crossville

USCF only owns the Land Directly Under the Building in Crossville

The much awaited letter from Crossville Attorney Harry Sabine has
finally been posted. Although dated February 26 it was only posted
yesterday, apparently in response to a question I raised about it.

I often feel that nothing will shock me, but I am shocked. The letter
contains a new zinger that nobody anticipated.

The letter states that we own the land free and clear that is under
the building and we can sell that land.

However, we do not own any of the other land on the three acre plot
that we thought that the City of Crossville had given us.

In other words, we cannot sell the parking lot in front. We cannot
sell the rest and recreation area in the back yard. We cannot even go
skinny dipping in the stream behind the office. All of that land is
still subject to ownership by the City of Crossville.

That old country lawyer Harry Sabine has got us again. He wants to
make sure now that we have been snared there and have given his son a
paying job, we can never leave town. It would be hard enough to sell
the land and the building even under normal conditions. Nobody would
buy land with these restrictions.

This is all in addition to the wetlands problem, the zoning problems,
the gas company, the electric company, the nudist colonies and all the
other problems that nobody told us about when we got into this deal.

Here is Harry Sabines letter:

http://www.uschess.org/org/govern/20...ineOPINION.pdf

Old June 25th 06, 07:21 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,misc.legal,alt.accounting

One can always tell when it's election time at USCF. Sam Sloan
comes out of hibernation with the mud flying all over the place. Grow
up Sam, your smear techniques are pathetic and I'm tempted to vote
for anyone you oppose, just on principle.

Old June 25th 06, 10:49 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,misc.legal,alt.accounting

"Sam Sloan" wrote in message
USCF only owns the Land Directly Under the Building in Crossville

The much awaited letter from Crossville Attorney Harry Sabine has
finally been posted. Although dated February 26 it was only posted
yesterday, apparently in response to a question I raised about it.

I often feel that nothing will shock me, but I am shocked. The letter
contains a new zinger that nobody anticipated.

The letter states that we own the land free and clear that is under
the building and we can sell that land.

However, we do not own any of the other land on the three acre plot
that we thought that the City of Crossville had given us.

In other words, we cannot sell the parking lot in front. We cannot
sell the rest and recreation area in the back yard. We cannot even go
skinny dipping in the stream behind the office. All of that land is
still subject to ownership by the City of Crossville.

That is not what the letter says. The key portion that Sloan is
misrepresenting says "However, the protective convenants further provide
that the USCF could not sell a portion of the land which it was not using
without first offering the land to the City at cost, which in this case was
zero. In other words the USCF could not decide that it did not need all of
the property for its headquarters and offer to sell a portion of the land
not being used by the USCF to a buyer without first offering the land back
to the City."

Please note that constructing and using parking lots, for example,
constitutes use of the land. Any part of the land that the USCF develops
and "uses" is not subject to this. My reading is what the City sought to
avoid from the convenant was the USCF accepting the 3 acres, then erecting a
structure with a very small footprint in a corner of the property,
subdividing the rest of the property and selling the other parcels for a
profit.

That old country lawyer Harry Sabine has got us again. He wants to
make sure now that we have been snared there and have given his son a
paying job, we can never leave town. It would be hard enough to sell
the land and the building even under normal conditions. Nobody would
buy land with these restrictions.

This is all in addition to the wetlands problem, the zoning problems,
the gas company, the electric company, the nudist colonies and all the
other problems that nobody told us about when we got into this deal.

This is typical Sloan illogic. If the property is so fraught with problems,
why would the City take it back? Keep in mind that the City gets no
property tax revenue from itself, so any paying tenant is better than the
City holding onto the land unless it has some use for it. Sloan likes to
construct arguments that are mutually exclusive -- some call it sophistry,
in his case I think it is just stupidity.

Randy Bauer

Old June 25th 06, 11:38 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,misc.legal,alt.accounting

Randy may be right after all. The thing to do is pave all three acres,
sell the whole thing, then move to Crossville, Arkansas.

Old Haasie

Old June 26th 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,misc.legal,alt.accounting

Default Is the Building Finished Yet?

The letter from the lawyer says the ownership was transferred in 2003. It is
three years later. Is the building finished yet?

Old June 26th 06, 12:18 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,misc.legal,alt.accounting

"Steve Cohen" wrote in message
nk.net...
The letter from the lawyer says the ownership was transferred in 2003. It
is
three years later. Is the building finished yet?

Go to the USCF's homepage, scroll down, and you will see a picture of the
completed building, with a caption that reads "we moved in on April 8th."

Randy Bauer

Old June 26th 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,misc.legal,alt.accounting

"Steve Cohen" writes:

The letter from the lawyer says the ownership was transferred in 2003. It is
three years later. Is the building finished yet?

Yes, and they moved in on April 8th.

There will be a public dedication and ribbon cutting ceremony for the
new building at 12:30 PM on July 22nd, with an open house from 1 to 4PM.

The list of invited guests includes the Governor of Tennesee and the
mayors of Crossville and Cumberland County.

The street address for the new USCF headquarters building is 137 O'Brien
Drive, Crossville, Tennessee.
--
Mike Nolan
Old June 26th 06, 03:45 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,misc.legal,alt.accounting

"Steve Cohen" writes:

Considering that the USCF only tabulates scores and collects membership
fees, you would think that a one room shack would be enough. The USCF is
basically one of those boiler-room operations now.

I had mistakenly assumed you were someone who could be taken seriously,
but you are obviously not.
--
Mike Nolan

Old June 26th 06, 04:23 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,misc.legal,alt.accounting

Mike Nolan wrote:
"Steve Cohen" writes:

Considering that the USCF only tabulates scores and collects membership
fees, you would think that a one room shack would be enough. The USCF is
basically one of those boiler-room operations now.

I had mistakenly assumed you were someone who could be taken seriously,
but you are obviously not.
--
Mike Nolan

Mike,

I had made the same mistaken assumption. I have also reached the same
conclusion as you.

Randy Bauer

Old June 27th 06, 01:51 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,misc.legal,alt.accounting

Can any of you explain why this is crossposted so haphazardly?
(Especially to alt.accounting, which is where I'm seeing this OT crap.)