Old June 29th 06, 01:45 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,alt.language.latin,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,humanities.classics

Default Classics as a career

Here is a posting by Tim Hanke in the newsgroups
alt.language.latin,humanities.classics that appears to explain his
dropping out from chess governance:

From: Tim Hanke
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 13:55:34 -0500
Subject: Classics as a career

Amusing indeed. :-)

I appreciate and am enjoying people's interesting feedback on this
topic.

My situation is unusual--isn't everyone's?--in that I lost my job in
November, after 20 years working in university and nonprofit jobs,
then fell into a part-time job teaching Latin at a prep day school.
There's no money in it--my only solid source of income these days is
my unemployment check--but the school has suggested there might be a
full-time job for me in the fall, if I will also teach Spanish. My
Spanish courses are as old as my Greek and Latin courses--twenty years
or more. But I kept up my Spanish a bit when traveling on National
Guard assignments, and my wife studied in Spain, and Spanish is after
all the favorite foreign language of my family, so I believe I could
do it with considerable brushing-up.

But the scenario is rife with uncertainty. There's no guarantee the
school will hire me in the fall, while if they do, the pay will
certainly be low, perhaps in the $25-30K range, and they don't
currently offer health insurance.

If my wife could find some sort of job, and if I could scrounge around

earning spare $$ here and there especially in the summers, and if I
borrowed the money to attend graduate school part-time and got some
tuition breaks through teaching assistantships, it is just barely
possible I could emerge one day, several years from now, blinking into
the dim light of the classics Ph.D. ranks.

Fortunately we have a low fixed mortgage on our first home, our second
home is already paid for, our cars are paid for, we have no
significant debt, and neither I, my wife, nor our two boys have
expensive tastes. Then again, as Phaedrus says, the educated man has
riches within himself. :-)

Tim Hanke
Old June 29th 06, 02:24 PM posted to alt.chess

Default How to multi-post Classics as a career