Old July 1st 06, 08:05 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Default Mike Goodall's Complaint

Greetings!

Sometime last week I received my ballot, voted, and mailed it back out.

John McCumiskey
Northern California

PS: Note that the non-chess newsgroups from the original message have
been removed.

Sam Sloan wrote:
Mike Goodall's Complaint

Mike Goodall has complained again about the fact that the USCF
Election Ballots were mailed bulk rate from the USCFs offices in
Crossville Tennessee. So far, many voters in Northern California have
not received their ballots and therefore cannot vote.

I assume that this affects Randy Hough, who loves in Southern
California, as well.

Note that even before the ballots were mailed, Mike Goodall complained
that fourth class mail often does not reach its destination.

I received my ballot in New York City on Monday nearly two weeks ago
and have mailed it in.

The Northern California vote is critical to Mike Goodall because my
preliminary asking around indicates that nobody is going to vote for
Mike outside of Northern California, but in Northern California where
he is a popular tournament organizer he can expect a big turnout in
his favor.

This affects me too because I can expect a few votes from Northern
California since I used to live there, although not nearly as many as
Mike Goodall of course.

Cannot we, just for the sake of appearance, give those two guys out in
California a fair chance to get some votes?

I mean it is going to look kind of bad if those two guys get no votes
at all. I mean we already know that this election is rigged in favor
of Perks and Schlich. It is perfectly obvious that when two regular
office employees are running against three outside candidates and
especially when the three outsiders are going to probably want to fire
a few people and change some of the office procedures if they win and
especially when the office staff is going to be counting the ballots,
anybody can just figure out what the result is likely to be. How
stupid do we think anybody is?

The two home boys already have a big advantage over the three
outsiders but, just for the sake of common decency, can't the office
just throw a few votes to the two California guys? Don't let them win
of course. Just make it look like it might have been fair, for the
sake of appearance.

Otherwise, it will look bad.

Here is Mike Goodall's latest letter to Mike Nolan:

John Donaldson, Walter Shipman, and maybe others have not
received their ballots yet. Having worked for the PO I know that bulk
rate mail is frequently 'lost'. I may lose the election because a
segment of Northern California bulk rate mail wound up in some
dumpster. I strongly urge that if we're going to take these elections
seriously we must use a higher rate of postage.

If John and Walter and others don't receive a ballot can they
vote anyway, at least in the EB election? Since you're checking the
names anyway I don't see why not. They could send a note to the
office.

Thanks, Mike Goodall