Old July 2nd 06, 10:45 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Default Mike Goodall's Complaint

Sam Sloan wrote:
On 1 Jul 2006 20:32:21 -0700, "Randy Bauer"
wrote:

Sam Sloan wrote:

Bauer implies here that the seven-member board approved this deal. Not
true. Frank Brady, the board member with deep qualifications and
experience in running businesses, was vehemently opposed and voted no
every time.

Nothing that Sloan writes contradicts what I wrote. The seven member
board did indeed approve of this.

Frank Brady's "deep qualifications and experience" are mostly as a
faculty member in a University, hardly the typical business.

Randy Bauer

Here Randy Bauer demonstrates a shocking lack of knowledge of the
background of Frank Brady. This is especially unbelievable since they
served on the board together.

It is not "especially unbelievable" because for the year that I served
on the Board, Brady did not attend a single board meeting, including
the annual meeting in Florida. If Brady had such wonderful
credentials, it would have been nice if he had taken the time to
actually attend Board meetings to provide us with all of the insight
Sloan claims.

Frank Brady did not get to be the Chairman of the Department of
Journalism at St. John's University with 60 University Professors
working under him for no reason. He has extensive financial and
business background working in the publishing industry.

I've been around literally a score of faculty chairs in my experience
in state government; Sloan's opinion of their financial prowess is far
different from mine.

Frank Brady has been the publisher of numerous magazines. He founded
Chess Life and Chess World Magazines. He became a top executive in the
Playboy Empire, as the Editor in Chief of one of Hugh Hefner's
magazines. He has written 12 books and has a Ph.D. in Journalism. He
is a member of the British Academy of Film and Television Arts.

Here is his biography:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Brady

Getting a top quality person like Frank Brady to serve on the board
should have been a major coup for the USCF. Instead he was completely
ignored and frozen out of the decision making process. Time and again,
Brady warned the other members of the board that they were engaging in
an improper and possibly illegal course of action.

Brady mostly warned us that the move to Crossville would cause a
financial hardship for the USCF. Hardly. The USCF did fine last
fiscal year and will do fine this year. Given that the USCF lost money
for 8 straight years and then showed a profit in both years of the
Marinello administration, Sloan is typically off base.

Now, look at the other members of the board. They include a substitute
teacher of high school Latin, a high school gym teacher, and two
teachers of chess in the schools. None of them have any business
qualifications or experience. We all thought that Randy Bauer would
bring some qualifications to the board but as everybody here can
plainly see, Bauer lacks common sense.

Since Sloan wants to look at qualifications, what are his? He is a
convicted felon who did time in prison, he had a securities license
revoked for misconduct, and has resided in a homeless shelter.

Meanwhile, Sloan suggests that I "lack common sense." If that includes
making decisions that kept the USCF running in the black, making
decisions that kept a state budget in the black during a period
considered the worst for the states since the Great Depresssion, and
deeming Sam Sloan a loser, I'm fine with it.

Randy Bauer