Old July 8th 06, 06:42 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.politics.bush,soc.culture.usa,alt.chess

Default The Curse of Pillsbury

Sam Sloan wrote:
Curse of Pillsbury Explained
As everybody who has studied chess history knows, Harry Nelson
Pillsbury (1872-1906) had the most brilliant mind and was the most
talented chess player in the history of the game.

Highly debatable. Certainly he was very talented, but to say he had
more chess talent than Lasker, Capablanca, Alekhine, Bronstein, Tal,
Fischer, Kasparov et al is rather a stretch.

In his short life, Pillsbury won Hastings 1895, the strongest
tournament in chess history,

It was the probably strongest held up to that time, but certainly not
the strongest in all of chess history. In terms of overall strength,
both relative and absolute, it would have to rank behind Las Palmas
1997, Reggio Emilia 1991-92, AVRO 1938, Hague-Moscow 1948, several
Candidates tournaments, Linares events and many others. In fact, the
BCM rated Hastings 1895 as only a Category 10 (average Elo 2476-2500).
By comparison, Las Palmas 1997 (Kasparov, Anand, Kramnik, Topalov,
Ivanchuk, Karpov) was Category 21.

and he several times defeated the World
Chess Champion, Emmanuel Lasker.

So far, the only solid fact you've presented.

However, shortly thereafter, Pillsbury became afflicted with some
horrible, loathsome disease which caused him slowly to become utterly
mad and finally to sink into depravity and death.

What "depravity"? As far as I know, Pillsbury acted normally until
very near the end.

It has been widely reported that Pillsbury died of syphilis. This was
an easy mistake to make, because the insanity from which Pillsbury
suffered was characteristic of syphilis, but what he actually had was
far more evil and horrible.

So tell, already.

After being visited by the FBI on an unrelated matter I have been
reluctant to reveal this matter, but now I feel that the truth must be
told. Out of concern for the implications this has for our modern
society, now I must reveal it.

The source of the Pillsbury malady was his wife, Mary Ellen Bush. He
married her in 1901.

Are you still insisting she died in 1902, when in fact she survived
her husband?

She had a genetic disease inherited from her
great grandfather, Prescott Bush (1758-1846).

It is of course rare for a genetic disease to pass from wife to
husband. However, it is not impossible. The chances are millions to
one against it, but it can happen and it did happen that Mary Ellen
Bush passed this disease to her husband, Harry Nelson Pillsbury.

And yes, it is really true that the great-grandfather of Mary Ellen
Bush was Prescott Bush. This information is available on an
unimpeachable source, namely Sam Sloan's daughter's website. See:

http://www.shamema.com/pafg629.htm#18929C
http://www.shamema.com/pafg610.htm#17920

By now, everybody of above average intelligence should have figured
this out. The grandfather of our great leader was also named Prescott
Bush !!!!

Now, here is the problem. The symptoms are similar, other than the
part about the brilliant mind, but defenders of our leadership are
claiming that the Prescott Bush who was the great grandfather of Mary
Ellen Bush, the wife of Harry Nelson Pillsbury, was a different person
from the Prescott Bush who is the grandfather of our great leader.

That Prescott Bush, the grandfather of our great leader, was born on
15 May 1894 in Columbus, Ohio. He died on 8 Oct 1972 in New York NY.

http://www.shamema.com/pafg567.htm#16038

Therefore, he could not be the same person who was the
great-grandfather of the wife of Harry Nelson Pillsbury and therefore
the insanity that affected Harry Nelson Pillsbury and led to his death
could not possibly be affecting our great leader, his defenders say.

However, I met a man in the Amherst County Sheriffs Department in
Amherst County Virginia who is a descendant of the same Prescott Bush
who was the grandfather of Mary Ellen Bush and he says that his
research has established that they really were the same person.

So this Prescott Bush lived from 1758 to 1972, a total of 214 years?
Sounds like this genetic disorder didn't do him any harm at all! Where
can I get it?

I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP. I swear on God's oath that I really did meet
a man in the Amherst County Sheriffs Department who told me that his
ancestor, Prescott Bush, and the ancestor of our president, also named
Prescott Bush, was the same person

I once met a man who told me he could tear down buildings just by
thinking about it. He mercifully refrained from demonstrating this
talent. I am not making this up.

I have explained the Curse of Pillsbury, for which there is,
unfortunately, no cure. All of my facts are correct. Please go and
check them. Go everywhere and look and you will see that I am right.

Granting, just for the sake of argument, your premise that
Pillsbury's wife's ancestor lived for 214 years, and that he passed on
a genetic disorder to her, this still leaves unexplained how the
disorder could have been transmitted to Pillsbury. As I understand it,
a genetic disorder by definition is in the DNA, which is set before a
person is born, at conception. It cannot become contagious. A healthy
person cannot catch, say, hemophilia, or sickle-cell anemia, no matter
how intimate one may be with one who suffers from it.
So unless Pillsbury had a machine like Jeff Goldblum's in "The Fly,"
it's hard to see how his wife could have transmitted a genetic disorder
to him. Also, one wonders why the disease would kill Pillsbury, but not
the woman from whom he supposedly contracted it.

You will immediately understand why the Curse of Pillsbury has until
now been kept secret for National Security Reasons.

A few days ago I jokingly told Jerry Spinrad that what chess history
needed was a bunch of new myths, and contributed one myself, about
Morphy's bathtub (see the "Napoleon's Will" thread). Maybe Sam is
trying to contribute to the effort.