Old July 14th 06, 11:01 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Default Ignore the forgeries with the Damiano, here are some real games

samsloan wrote:
wrote:

Excellent point. I've always considered Sloan the most likely candidate
for the author of the "fake sam" posts.

Excellent point, since a lot of people consider Neil Brennen to be a
prime suspect for being one of the Fake Sam Sloans.

Who are "a lot of people?" The only person I can think of is the Nearly
an IM, who is himself a suspect. Then again, the Nearly an IM thinks I
control nearly every anonymous poster on usenet, and some not so
anonymous - witness his repeated confusion between me and "seeker" on
HLAS, and me and Matt Nemmers here.

The IP addresses used by the Fake Sam Sloan indicates that he lives in
the Philadephia area.

Neil Brennen lives in the Philadephia area. So do Ray Gordon, Stan Booz
and Andrew Zito, all of whom are suspected of being the Fake Sam Sloan.

So do about 4 million other people. You are one step from Moron Tomic's
spectacular achievements in identification. You recall he claimed I
lived in Atlanta because Earthlink is headquartered there?

Neil Brennen calls himself Spamscone, which is a take-off or parody on
my name. This certainly makes him a prime suspect for being a Fake Sam
Sloan.

Now, his claim that I am faking myself is certainly evidence that he is
the Fake Sam Sloan.

Not in any sane court.

Old July 15th 06, 01:16 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

wrote in message
oups.com...

The IP addresses used by the Fake Sam Sloan indicates that he lives in
the Philadephia area.

Neil Brennen lives in the Philadephia area. So do Ray Gordon, Stan Booz
and Andrew Zito, all of whom are suspected of being the Fake Sam Sloan.

So do about 4 million other people. You are one step from Moron Tomic's
spectacular achievements in identification. You recall he claimed I
lived in Atlanta because Earthlink is headquartered there?

Neil Brennen calls himself Spamscone, which is a take-off or parody on
my name. This certainly makes him a prime suspect for being a Fake Sam
Sloan.

Now, his claim that I am faking myself is certainly evidence that he is
the Fake Sam Sloan.

That's Brennen's pattern exactly! He wrote that I would as anon write filthy
abuse about my own family! He spends all his net time spreading slime about
the place and causing as much dissention between people as he can.

Not in any sane court.

No person happy in themselves spend all their time bringing down others to
below their own level - that's a neurosis, and when it is compulsively
repeated, a pathological one. [This means he is sick, as well as too thick
to write about chess subjects].

Phil Innes

Old July 15th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Chess One wrote:
He wrote that I would as anon write filthy
abuse about my own family!

While on the subject, when your buddy Goran Tomic offered to track down
the identity of "Xganon", why did you decline? After years of saying
you would "sue into the ground" the person behind the Xganon posts, why
didn't you want Tomic to try to identify him? One answer comes to
mind....

Old July 15th 06, 05:04 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

samsloan wrote:

Neil Brennen lives in the Philadephia area. So do Ray Gordon, Stan Booz
and Andrew Zito, all of whom are suspected of being the Fake Sam Sloan.

I didn't catch this error in my previous post. Andrew Zito, unless he's
moved, doesn't live near Philadelphia. I suggest Mr. Sloan locate
Altoona on a map.

Old July 17th 06, 02:26 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

This is something like 50 'personal' messages in one weekend - ALL of them
speculate negatively about other people - and of course every one is
off-topic. Brennan has an obsession - and wants even more personal
information [!] to willfully distort or misrepresent those to whom he
attaches himself - as a sportulary [that's a word from the 1600's, and means
'a dole'].

The fact that this Xganon always and only follows his, and only his, posts
is a curiosity. That he delights in writing under pseudonyms is his own
foible. Brennen suffers obsessional delusions that he is not seen for what
he is.

What I wrote below he dares not repeat about himself as an explanation of
his own behavior, nor is he able to vary it. That he should now risk his
commentary on the worth of Grandmaster writing is his own very special gift
to us.

Quote that [all of that!] Dr. Blair.

Phil Innes

wrote in message
ps.com...

------------

Old July 17th 06, 11:12 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

"Chess One" wrote:
This is something like 50 'personal' messages in one weekend - ALL of
them speculate negatively about other people - and of course every one is
off-topic. Brennan has an obsession - and wants even more personal
information [!] to willfully distort or misrepresent those to whom he
attaches himself - as a sportulary [that's a word from the 1600's, and
means 'a dole'].

Excellent, Phil. Sportulary, Supported by, dependent or subsisting on, the
doles or gifts of patrons. The last reference to the word in my OED is from
1649, a time when many artists, philosophers and chess players were on the
dole, IIRC.

~Semper Fi~
Old July 18th 06, 01:38 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

wrote in message
"Chess One" wrote:

Excellent, Phil. Sportulary, Supported by, dependent or subsisting on, the
doles or gifts of patrons. The last reference to the word in my OED is
from
1649, a time when many artists, philosophers and chess players were on the
dole, IIRC.

But not Greco, which can be this week's QUIZ - having published some Codex
material in Paris in 1624/25 and after some appearances in London and France
immediately precedeing these writings, he dissapeared! Presumably he
couldn't find anyone to dole him. Later writing mentions he may have gone to
the West Indies and died there ["in the 1630s"]. So what happened to the guy
who brought the serious new chess to England and France?

We owe much to (Gioachino) Greco, since there was a printed pamphlet
published in Frnace in the 1530s, the /Sensuit Ieux Partis des eschez - then
no more mention of the game at all. In England material was as scarce and
one Roger Hartwell had a problem manuscript in 1529, but this was in fact a
record of medieval problems. A poem by Henry Howard [undated, but Howard
died 1547] contains some references to chess. Chess seems to have migrated
to Germany circa 1536 and there is a record by Christian Egenolff in his
/Jacobus de Cessolis' morality/ final edition only.

If there are German scholars out there, here is another question: The origin
of the new game in Germany was given as from the word "welsch" which is
usually translated to "foreign" and is sometimes translated to "Italian",
but Eales says this is likely a mistake "for that part of Germany it is more
likely to refer to France". Of course, the term may not be specific at all.

To be on topic, if ironically in the case of Damiano who was a sort of open
plageriser: Damiano's claim to fame was to republish almost entire from
Lucena, except that he wrote his own introcuction to largely the same
material [only 2 exceptions from the Gottingen Manuscript].

It would be interesting to discover any writings extant from Luca Pacioli
(1455-1509) since the gent was a mathematician and friend of Leonardo da
Vinci, whose own papers as we know were to uncertain degree destroyed.
Leonardo met Ruy Lopez in Rome, and was defeated, and which could have been
as early as 1560, if "it is the contest referred to by Lopez himself."
Subsequently Leonardo played many games with Boi, and was apparentlyu of
equal strength.

-----------
I didn't know SPORTULARY was in the OED. There seems no exact date, though
Sir James Maurray's NED, 1919, cited "1600s".
And the word is mentioned in Henry Edwards's Old Engish Customes, Curious
Bequests and Charities (1842)

A very uncertain definition leads to [A. Sax], in SPORE; spur; prick - from
which the derivation might be "to bleed" someone for cash.

He smote the stede wyth the sporys
And sparred nother dyke nor forowe.
/MS Cantab. Ff ii 38, f 159

Though more recently may be from A. N. and SPORGE: to have a lask; to clean
or cleanse, and a word still in use 1850, and some derivations mean 'to
bring to an end' - hence, ending suffering or want by means of a dole.

Phil

Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops. You are not forgotten. Thanks ! !
!
~Semper Fi~

Old July 19th 06, 01:09 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

wrote in message
"Chess One" wrote:
wrote in message
"Chess One" wrote:

[ . . . ]
It would be interesting to discover any writings extant from Luca Pacioli
(1455-1509) since the gent was a mathematician and friend of Leonardo da
Vinci, whose own papers as we know were to uncertain degree destroyed.
Leonardo met Ruy Lopez in Rome, and was defeated, and which could have
been as early as 1560, if "it is the contest referred to by Lopez
himself." Subsequently Leonardo played many games with Boi, and was
apparentlyu of equal strength.

Interesting, Phil. Although I have studies the art & science of "'nardo"
for many decades, I don't recall mention of his chessmanship. Your
knowledge of chess history is apparently far greater than mine.

Most of this material is scarfed from Eales, who sometimes glosses, but
mentions much - but a lot of chess anecdotes relate to the /older/ form of
the game, the one of ritual manners which were more important in another
age, and from Romance literature [here Romance simply means the opposite of
Novel, and look back rather than to the new], some of it surprisingly old,
eg /Huon of Bordeaux/ written in French about 1230, where a female Arab
chess champion has an adventure, and escapes with the aid of the fairy King
Auberon, ancestor of Shakespeare's Oberon in MND. Shakespeare used [the new]
chess agian in Tempest with Miranda and Ferdinand.

But this Romance literature was read all over Europe, especially in the
North, but by Protestants, Jews and Catholics alike with a fair salting of
neo-Platonists, by Kings and Commoners, and the appeal might have been that
it was played equally [and by all accounts with equal success] by both
sexes. Albrecht of Bavaria and Anne of Austria are figured playing the [new]
game on a title page illustration by Muelich 1552.

As Yalom writes, the game remains [for pre-Elizabethan Europe] a positive
symbol of conjugal interaction.

So many sources are of the old game, whereas the new game sponsored stronger
attention to playing itself, as introduced and disseminiated by Lucena,
Damiano, Greco
--------

The complete entry in the OED2 on CD-ROM, v. 1.14, OUP, 1994, is:

'sportulary, a. Obs.1
[f. L. sportula little basket, dole, gift, dim. of sporta sport n.2]
Supported by, dependent or subsisting on, the doles or gifts of patrons.

1649 Bp. Hall Cases Consc. iii. vii. (1650) 231 Hereupon it is, that these
sportulary preachers are faine to sooth up their many maisters.

One of the nice things about obsolete words is the brevity of the entries.

I love languages. Words are the way we communicate, math is the language
of
sciences.

For who else built the stubborn structure of language
And rose against a silent melancholy and a dumb despair?

Come Caedmon, come Cynewulf!
So I telleth thee, ere that ye further wende.

To finish with Chaucer, 1369, Book of the Duchess:

At the ches with me she [Fortune] gan to pleye;
With hir false draughts [oieces] dyvers
She staal on me, and took my fers.
And whan I saw my fers awaye,
Allas! I kouthe no lenger playe.

Cordially, Phil

ps: you probable found references to your own name, which is both noun and
verb in the North of England; a tinker, also to join or to mend.
in fact CRAME is a specific to Lancashire, to bend. It is very unusual stem~
in English, though Dekker cites a game called Crambo. A KRAIM is a booth at
a fair [North] and the person attending it a CREAMER, tho' CRYMOSIN means
crimson. Unknown if any of these mainly northern words are still extant.
They sound like late A. Norman and C14th earliest, with any respectable
connection with A. Sax. Oldest ref I can find for the stem~ [in this case
meaning, to shout] is Morte Arthure, MS Linc F. 70 [at least it hs a Knight
in it, and wordez!]

With knyghttly contenaunce sir Clegis hymselfene
Kryes to the companye, and carpes thees wordez.

Old July 19th 06, 07:29 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

"Chess One" wrote:
wrote in message
"Chess One" wrote:
wrote in message
"Chess One" wrote:
[ . . . ]

The study of the history of language, arts and science has, on more than
one occasion, led me from one thing to another until I noticed the Sun
rising.

ps: you probable found references to your own name, which is both noun
and
verb in the North of England; a tinker, also to join or to mend.
in fact CRAME is a specific to Lancashire, to bend.[ . . . ]

My birth name is Cristofalo, a Sicilian name. Since my ancestors were from
Giardini-Naxos, the site of the first Greek colony in Sicily, ca. 753 BC,
there is a strong likelihood the name is of Greek derivation. I've only
been able to trace that branch of my family tree back to about 1800. I
picked Cramer when I came to California in the early 60's.

~Semper Fi~