Old July 15th 06, 08:02 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.polish

Default RIP Alexander Wojtkiewicz

http://beta.uschess.org/frontend/news_7_66.php

GM Alexander Wojtkiewicz dies at 43.
Chess Life Online is very sad to report that Grandmaster Alexander
Wojtkiewicz passed away on Friday, July 14 around 6 pm. We lost
Wojtkiewicz at the top of his game. He was among the nine players tied
for first in the World Open (July) and the winner of the National
Open. (June)

We will update this as soon as possible with information on funeral
arrangements as well as some memories of Alex.

This is unbelievable. I saw Alex at the World Open last week. I admit
he looked bedraggled, but otherwise he seemed healthy and he tied for
first.

My son Peter who was friendly with him told me that he had some health
problems. I am trying to reach Peter to find out what his problems
were.

Peter said that "Wojo" as he was called could have been World Chess
Champion or at least in the top ten had he not had health and
lifestyle problems.

Old July 15th 06, 08:27 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.polish

Użytkownik "Sam Sloan" napisał w wiadomo¶ci
http://beta.uschess.org/frontend/news_7_66.php

GM Alexander Wojtkiewicz dies at 43.

[...]

Yes, this is all sad news. R.I.P Alex.

Peter said that "Wojo" as he was called could have been World Chess
Champion or at least in the top ten had he not had health and
lifestyle problems.

That`s correct he was very talented and I will remember him as the most
sociable one from all chess grandmasters I knew.

Regards,

Jerzy

Old July 15th 06, 09:11 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.polish

I remember WoJo as an extremely brilliant individule. (True, that is
how many of these Top-GM guys seem to me - But then again that's what
they are...).

One year when I was having trouble using the merge part of the Dos
program Swiss-Sys for the Saturday round of the Marshall Championship,
Wojo along with Yudasin sped things up considerable for me by helping
me to do these pairings by hand essentially from the printout of the
previous round - This took these top-G.M.'s approximately 3-minutes.
(Another 5 or 6 for checking).

Another time when I played him in a 30-minute game I chose 1.b3 -
Larsens opening and the opening that I once beat I.M. Rohde with.
Barely looking at the board he reached a winning position against me
within 10-moves. Of course I lose to most G.M.'s, but am often in the
game longer then this.

Of course WoJo had his faults; He was definately a dedicated smoker
often needing to go into the backyard of the Marshall too tame this
need and it is quite possible that it contributed to his untimely
demise. On the other hand, from what I heard he came from a very tough
time in his native country and this addiction most certainly helped get
him through some very-tough times.

I didn't know him very well but he seemed like a nice guy (outside of
the chessboard). He once came 23 minutes late to a game against now
I.M. Fabiano Caruana (he was 9 at the time). Wojo simply couldn't find
a place to park that morning. Fabiano won against his favorite
Accelerated Dragon in a very-rocky game that was likely just dead lost
for Fabiano,(who had White). After the game Wojo merely shrugged his
shoulders and gave me a sheepish grin - Like 'What can you do against a
tallented kid who has no fear and you have no time' type of reaction.

My last memory of him (playing), was at last years World Open where I
was employed as an move relayer for the Internet chess club. I
remember the game where he defeated I.M. Irina Krush in a very complex
strategical battle that lasted many hours. It seemed to many watching
on the ICC to be a draw at best. It was also facinating to see their
post-game analysis of the game where WoJo pointed out many of the
break-through themes that existed in this game.

WoJo was often in NY city in the last few years and played in many of
the NY Masters as well as many of the Chess Center of NY tournaments.
I will miss the excitement he brought to quite a lot of these events.

Larry S. Tamarkin

Old July 15th 06, 11:55 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.polish

Uzytkownik "JoeBanks" napisal w wiadomosci
oups.com...

Of course WoJo had his faults; He was definately a dedicated smoker
often needing to go into the backyard of the Marshall too tame this
need and it is quite possible that it contributed to his untimely
demise. On the other hand, from what I heard he came from a very tough
time in his native country and this addiction most certainly helped get
him through some very-tough times.

Of course he was Polish by nationality but he came out from the USSR where
he was born in 1963. There he was jailed for two years because he rejected
to join and serve in Soviet Army. When Poland regained independence he moved
from Riga to Warsaw where he won two Polish Championships.

Regards,

Jerzy

Old July 15th 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.polish

Was Alex on stuff? Of course it is a tragedy for all that a strong player
should die aged 43, but at this age playing chess alone is insufficient
explanation for it. While we may honour his memory, what of the living? If
the gentleman had been overexposed to some things outside of chess, we
should note this too, since strong players are role models and it is a
despicable thing to admire the player while ignoring the person.

Phil Innes

Old July 15th 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.polish

Was he on stuff ? Well, I think it was well known that he liked to
consume "potent potables", to use the Jeopardy category. I do not know
if it was still a habit.

Old July 16th 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.polish

Lots of people I know of or know personally have been dropping dead in
their 40's and 50's. I could be next with my post heart attack .25
ejection fraction and if my recently inplanted $84,000 defibrillator
doesn't work as advertised.

Old Haasie