Old July 23rd 06, 11:19 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

Default Ratings Life?

I was a member of the USCF about 20 years ago and competed in a couple of
rated tournaments. I had a (very modest) rating and was listed in the
ratings pages in the back of the Chess Life magazine.

If I re-join the USCF, will my old ratings and tournament history be
revived? Will they even put my old info and new info together again? Am I
wasting my time?

Old July 23rd 06, 11:52 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

Ringo wrote:
I was a member of the USCF about 20 years ago and competed in a couple of
rated tournaments. I had a (very modest) rating and was listed in the
ratings pages in the back of the Chess Life magazine.

If I re-join the USCF, will my old ratings and tournament history be
revived? Will they even put my old info and new info together again? Am I
wasting my time?

You need to go to the tournament director, show him your rating list in
the old magazine and he will take care of it.

If Goichberg or Immitt is involved they will handle it correctly. I do
not know about the other directors.

Old July 25th 06, 04:53 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

samsloan wrote:
Ringo wrote:
I was a member of the USCF about 20 years ago and competed in a couple of
rated tournaments. I had a (very modest) rating and was listed in the
ratings pages in the back of the Chess Life magazine.

If I re-join the USCF, will my old ratings and tournament history be
revived? Will they even put my old info and new info together again? Am I
wasting my time?

You need to go to the tournament director, show him your rating list in
the old magazine and he will take care of it.

If Goichberg or Immitt is involved they will handle it correctly. I do
not know about the other directors.

Sam Sloan

Yes, I'm sure that Goichberg or Immitt would handle it correctly. The
question though is will the USCF handle it correctly? Past experience
makes this a very good question.

Back in 2000 I had a player rejoin the USCF after an 8 year abscense.
I used the old 1992 annual supplement to find their old USCF ID number
and what their rating was at that time. I sent in the rating report
with the membership dues and I used the player's old ID and old rating.
When I received the report [i.e. USCF crosstable] back it had a new ID
number for the player, which would be OK. It also treated the player
as a new unrated pplayer! So, I wrote back to the USCF and pointed out
that the player already had an ESTABLISHED rating. The new rating
report that I got back didn't change the rating much. All it actually
did at that point was to treat the ESTABLISHED rating as if it was a
provisional rating; and it averaged it in with the rating from the
first report.

So, as we are talking about a rating that is 20 years old there is some
question of how the USCF will handle it. Past experience shows that
the USCF office was not eager to dig through the old microfisce records
for old ratings. What Ringo should do is go to the USCF web site in
the MSA area. Put in the old ID number and see what if anything comes
up. If nothing comes up, then it is very likely that he will be
treated as an unrated player by the USCF. The only way around this is
to send some proof to the USCF of your past rating, then I would expect
it to be handled with no trouble.

-Larry Cohen

Old July 25th 06, 05:39 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

"BrotherNehoc" Put in the old ID number and see what if anything comes up.
If nothing comes up, then it is very likely that he will be treated as an
unrated player by the USCF.

I don't remember the old number. I think I have the Chess Life with my
ratings in it somewhere (in a box). I checked the website, and I don't show
up when searching by the name; or by the last name.

Old July 26th 06, 03:43 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

"Yutz" writes:

I don't remember the old number. I think I have the Chess Life with my
ratings in it somewhere (in a box). I checked the website, and I don't show
up when searching by the name; or by the last name.

Somewhere in excess of 50,000 IDs were deleted during the 1980's. Another
50,000 or so former members from before 1977 were never given a USCF ID.
(Bobby Fischer is one of them.)

Contact the USCF membership department ), they
can research your ID or rating and can reactive your old ID number
and rating from the rating supplements and the microfilmed copies of the
old rating cards. The more information you can provide about where you
were living and when you last played in a rated event, the easier it is to
do the search.

It may take a couple of days for them to do the research, but unlike the
anecdotes from several years ago the office tries to keep up with requests
for this information. (Several dozen returning members from 20 or more
years ago have had their rating restored in the last year.)

However, if a returning member or the TD doesn't tell the USCF office anything,
then it is almost certainly the case that a new ID would be assigned and the
member would be treated as unrated.
--
Mike Nolan

Old July 26th 06, 04:14 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

"Mike Nolan" Contact the USCF membership department
), they can research your ID or rating and can reactive
your old ID number and rating from the rating supplements and the
microfilmed copies of the old rating cards.

Thanks! I would like to play in a tournament or two, just for fun!

Old July 29th 06, 03:54 AM posted to alt.chess

Yutz wrote:
"Mike Nolan" Contact the USCF membership department
), they can research your ID or rating and can
reactive your old ID number and rating from the rating supplements
and the microfilmed copies of the old rating cards.

Thanks! I would like to play in a tournament or two, just for fun!

Let me know how that goes! I played in several hundred tournaments in the
1970s and 1980s in high school and college age, but quit competitive chess
in the late 1980s. Been thinking about getting back into it as you say
'just for fun'. I was around 1600 in Massachusetts at the time. Now live
in NYC suburbs. Wonder what might happen, rating wise, in 20 years of
inactivity.

Regards -

- Andrew