Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old February 15th 07, 11:58 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.magyar
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 14,870
Default Safe Harbor against Deletion by the Moderator

Because the moderators selected by Bill Goichberg now often delete my
postings to uschess.org/forums before anybody has a chance to read
them, I will start posting them here too so that I will not lose them
if they are deleted again.

Here is a posting I just made the

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessPromotion
Chris,

May I suggest to ask Susan directly instead of getting incorrect
information from from others? She has an Open Forum every Saturday on
her blog (www.susanpolgar.blogspot.com). She answers many questions
from fans there every week. I know that Susan was the first woman ever
to qualify for the men's cycle but was not allowed to play because of
both Hungarian Federation and FIDE. She had 3 strikes against her:

- Being Jewish
- Being a female
- Being young

FIDE later changed the rules because of her. The Hungarians only
started to accept Susan and her sisters after they came home with the
Gold medals in the 1988 Olympiad, ending the Soviet dominance. They
repeated that feat again in 1990.

These info were well documented in her book Breaking Through.

Good luck!
PT
Susan was not the first woman ever to qualify to the men's world
championship cycle. Pia Cramling had done that several years earlier
and played in the zonal tournament.

I object to the statement often made that Susan was the victim of
discrimination because she is Jewish. Jews have long occupied the top
positions in the world of chess. At one time, 50% of the top players
in the world were Jewish. None of them have ever claimed to the the
victims of religious discrimination.

Susan through her father fought endless battles with the Hungarian
Chess Federation, much the same as she is fighting with the United
States Chess Federation now.

There is a famous story that once Sandur Serenyi, President of the
Hungarian Chess Federation, asked Laszlo Polgar, Susan's father, why
he resigned his membership in the Communist Party.

Laszlo Polgar replied, "Because people like you are members of the
Communist Party".

Sam Sloan

  #2   Report Post  
Old February 15th 07, 12:04 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.magyar
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 14,870
Default Safe Harbor against Deletion by the Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessPromotion
Chris,

May I suggest to ask Susan directly instead of getting incorrect
information from from others? She has an Open Forum every Saturday on
her blog (www.susanpolgar.blogspot.com). She answers many questions
from fans there every week. I know that Susan was the first woman ever
to qualify for the men's cycle but was not allowed to play because of
both Hungarian Federation and FIDE. She had 3 strikes against her:

- Being Jewish
- Being a female
- Being young

FIDE later changed the rules because of her. The Hungarians only
started to accept Susan and her sisters after they came home with the
Gold medals in the 1988 Olympiad, ending the Soviet dominance. They
repeated that feat again in 1990.

These info were well documented in her book Breaking Through.

Good luck!
PT
Susan was not the first woman ever to qualify to the men's world
championship cycle. Pia Cramling had done that several years earlier
and played in the zonal tournament.

I object to the statement often made that Susan was the victim of
discrimination because she is Jewish. Jews have long occupied the top
positions in the world of chess. At one time, 50% of the top players
in the world were Jewish. None of them have ever claimed to be the
victims of religious discrimination. In addition, a little known fact
is that the Polgar Family changed their name to Polgar to hide the
fact that they were Jewish. Polgar is not their original name and is a
typical Hungarian name.

Susan through her father fought endless battles with the Hungarian
Chess Federation, much the same as she is fighting with the United
States Chess Federation now.

There is a famous story that once Sandur Serenyi, President of the
Hungarian Chess Federation, asked Laszlo Polgar, Susan's father, why
he resigned his membership in the Communist Party.

Laszlo Polgar replied, "Because people like you are members of the
Communist Party".

Sam Sloan

  #3   Report Post  
Old February 15th 07, 03:10 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.magyar
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Jun 2005
Posts: 662
Default Safe Harbor against Deletion by the Moderator

On Feb 15, 5:58 am, "samsloan" wrote:


There is a famous story that once Sandur Serenyi, President of the
Hungarian Chess Federation, asked Laszlo Polgar, Susan's father, why
he resigned his membership in the Communist Party.

Laszlo Polgar replied, "Because people like you are members of the
Communist Party".

Sam Sloan



  #4   Report Post  
Old February 15th 07, 05:50 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 14,870
Default Safe Harbor against Deletion by the Moderator

Nobody is claiming that the Jews in General did not suffer terrible
discrimination. In the case of Susan in particular, although her
grandparents survived the war and came back from the Nazi
concentration camps (without which Susan and her father would never
have been born) her uncles and aunts died in Auschwitz Nazi death
camps.

However, Paul Truong makes a statement that is actually true when he
writes:

"The Hungarians only started to accept Susan and her sisters after
they came home with the Gold medals in the 1988 Olympiad, ending the
Soviet dominance. They repeated that feat again in 1990."

This is correct. However, the reason for this is not because the
Hungarian Chess Federation suddenly changed their attitude about Jews.
Rather is was because up until then Susan had refused to play on the
Hungarian Woman's Team. Had she played in the 1984 or the 1986
Olympiads, as they had requested, they might have won in those years
too. However, she refused to play then, just as she refused to play on
the US Team in the 2006 Olympiad in Italy.

Thus, by playing on the Hungarian Woman's Team in 1988 Susan finally
had agreed to a long standing demand by the Hungarian Chess
Federation, and for that reason they were friends again.

Sam Sloan

  #5   Report Post  
Old February 15th 07, 05:53 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Feb 2007
Posts: 49
Default Safe Harbor against Deletion by the Moderator

Who gives a ****? Get a life. Just because you saw her boobies when she was
14 does not make her such a force in the life of everyone else.




  #6   Report Post  
Old February 17th 07, 12:09 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.magyar
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 14,870
Default Safe Harbor against Deletion by the Moderator

I disagree and here are my reasons:

Polgar and Truong are claiming the right to be paid these large
amounts of money on the basis of verbal agreements with Frank Niro
while Niro was Executive Director.

However, oral contracts are not valid with corporations unless they
are confirmed in writing.

I will give one example from the stock market, since I worked in the
stock market for years.

All stock market contracts are initially oral. A customer calls his
broker and tells him to by 100 shares of XYZ stock. The broker tells
his order clerk. The order clerk in the old days would call down the
order to the floor of the New York Stock Exchange. The floor broker
receives the order and walks out to the ring where he buys the stock
from the specialist. He then walks back and has his order clerk call
up to the office to report the transaction which is then reported to
the customer.

All of these contracts are oral. However, within three days under New
York Stock Exchange rules, this transaction must be confirmed in
writing. The brokers must send written confirmation to each other and
the buying broker must send written confirmation to his customer.

If after three days there is no written confirmation and no protest,
then the transaction is deemed not to have occurred.

On or about the first of August 2003, Frank Niro left the USCF offices
in New Windsor New York supposedly to go to Los Angeles to attend the
USCF delegates meeting. He never made it to Los Angeles. He
disappeared. Nobody knows where he was except that Polgar and Truong
state that he was in a hospital in Connecticut.

It was only after Frank Niro disappeared that Polgar and Truong
started demanding payment of these huge amounts of money that they
claim that Frank Niro had agreed to pay them. However, they have
produced no written evidence that Niro had ever agreed to pay these
huge amounts.

One of the issues was INVOICE # 102003 in which Polgar and Truong
wrote $15,974.57 Please make check payable to Polgar Chess, Inc. Thank
you!

In December, 2003, Bill Goichberg, as Executive Director, settled this
demand for payment by paying $13,358.36.

It is this payment of $13,358.36 that Beatriz Marinello and I are
questioning. We have never stated that we believe that this amount was
paid twice. Rather we are stating that this amount was not owed and
should not have been paid at all.

In the box of stuff Bill was looking through in Los Angeles on
February 5, 2007, Bill had evidence in the form of invoices and memos
supporting other payments to Polgar, but nothing supporting this
payment.

For example, there were several payments for three boxes of books
totaling 72 books for Queen of the Kings Game at $24.95 per book. This
explains several payments of that amount. What is shocking about this
is that Frank Niro was paying Polgar the full retail price of the
book, meaning that the USCF made no profit from selling the book and
to the contrary had to pay shipping and handling and staff and
warehouse expenses for each book sold.

Regarding the $13,358.36, Bill Goichberg at one point blamed this
payment on a low level clerk in the USCF Office, Linda Somebody. He
still has not explained his payment of this amount. It is clear from
the debates on rec.games.chess.politics at that time which you can
search and find, that neither the President, the VP of Finance or the
Chairman of the Finance Committee were agreeing to pay this amount.
Indeed, we all assumed that this amount had never been paid until
recently when I discovered this payment on the CD Bill Hall sent us.

No written evidence has ever been produced that Polgar and Truong were
owed this amount by the USCF. Interestingly, any evidence that this
amount was owed would have been on the laptop computer in Frank Niros
former office in the USCF. However, Polgar and Truong removed that
laptop computer from the USCF office on or about August 20, 2003.
Thus, by taking that computer, they were taking the only evidence, if
it existed, that they were legitimately owed this $13,358.36.

Therefore, I do not regard this matter in any way closed. I still
await evidence that they were entitled to be paid this amount and that
Bill Goichberg was justified in paying them this amount, especially
since the President, the VP of Finance and the Chairman of the Finance
Committee had all objected to paying this amount and Bill Goichberg
had gone over their heads and kept secret until recently the fact that
he had paid this amount.

Sam Sloan

  #8   Report Post  
Old February 19th 07, 09:27 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Feb 2007
Posts: 67
Default Safe Harbor against Deletion by the Moderator

I am not surprised that they want to delete your posts on account that
you are a cross-posting troll.

On Feb 15, 12:58 pm, "samsloan" wrote:
Because the moderators selected by Bill Goichberg now often delete my
postings to uschess.org/forums before anybody has a chance to read
them, I will start posting them here too so that I will not lose them
if they are deleted again.

Here is a posting I just made the

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessPromotion
Chris,

May I suggest to ask Susan directly instead of getting incorrect
information from from others? She has an Open Forum every Saturday on
her blog (www.susanpolgar.blogspot.com). She answers many questions
from fans there every week. I know that Susan was the first woman ever
to qualify for the men's cycle but was not allowed to play because of
both Hungarian Federation and FIDE. She had 3 strikes against her:

- Being Jewish
- Being a female
- Being young

FIDE later changed the rules because of her. The Hungarians only
started to accept Susan and her sisters after they came home with the
Gold medals in the 1988 Olympiad, ending the Soviet dominance. They
repeated that feat again in 1990.

These info were well documented in her book Breaking Through.

Good luck!
PT
Susan was not the first woman ever to qualify to the men's world
championship cycle. Pia Cramling had done that several years earlier
and played in the zonal tournament.

I object to the statement often made that Susan was the victim of
discrimination because she is Jewish. Jews have long occupied the top
positions in the world of chess. At one time, 50% of the top players
in the world were Jewish. None of them have ever claimed to the the
victims of religious discrimination.

Susan through her father fought endless battles with the Hungarian
Chess Federation, much the same as she is fighting with the United
States Chess Federation now.

There is a famous story that once Sandur Serenyi, President of the
Hungarian Chess Federation, asked Laszlo Polgar, Susan's father, why
he resigned his membership in the Communist Party.

Laszlo Polgar replied, "Because people like you are members of the
Communist Party".

Sam Sloan



  #9   Report Post  
Old February 19th 07, 09:31 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Feb 2007
Posts: 67
Default Safe Harbor against Deletion by the Moderator

On Feb 15, 6:53 pm, "Joker" wrote:
Who gives a ****? Get a life. Just because you saw her boobies when she was
14 does not make her such a force in the life of everyone else.


I heard that chess players are nuts but didn't know for sure until now.

  #10   Report Post  
Old February 20th 07, 04:45 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.magyar
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 14,870
Default Safe Harbor against Deletion by the Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessPromotion
Language barrier on my part? I do not
understand your criticism or complaint. I am very confused.

My understanding is if someone does something that he/she is not
supposed to do, he/she is doing something illegally. For example, if I
make a U-turn where I am not supposed to, I am doing it illegally. It
has nothing to do with the lawyers or the court and it is also not
what I meant. It was just an expression. Do I have the wrong
understanding of this word?

Illegal (Dictionary.com):

1. forbidden by law or statute.
2. contrary to or forbidden by official rules, regulations, etc.:
The referee ruled that it was an illegal forward pass.


If I am wrong with my understanding of the word "illegal", please feel
free to suggest another word to describe board members leaking
confidential information. This habit of leaking crucial and
confidential information for political purpose really concerns me.

The welfare of US Chess and the USCF should be the top priority and
not political ambition of ANY individual. I love chess. I do not care
for petty, destructive and vindictive chess politics.

Thank you!
PT
Paul Truong feels that it was "illegal" for me to release confidential
information, in clear and contumacious violation of the "Official
Secrets of the USCF Act", 42 USCF 1083(d).

Mr. Truong also states that the USCF signed an "illegal contract" with
the Kasparov Chess Foundation to sponsor the US Team to the 2006 World
Chess Olympiad under which the KCF paid the USCF a check for $30,000.

Sam Sloan

Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Safe Harbor against Deletion by the Moderator samsloan rec.games.chess.politics (Chess Politics) 183 January 24th 08 11:43 PM
Safe Harbor against Deletion by the Moderator samsloan rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) 181 January 24th 08 11:43 PM
Deleted from uschess.org/forums by the Moderator samsloan alt.chess (Alternative Chess Group) 21 February 15th 07 03:06 PM
The Channing Four [email protected] rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) 272 January 16th 07 07:06 PM
The Channing Four [email protected] rec.games.chess.politics (Chess Politics) 178 January 14th 07 09:42 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 ChessBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Chess"

 

Copyright © 2017