Old February 20th 07, 02:38 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Default Goichberg, Brady and the "Sam Sloan Award"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessoffice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Lux
Sam Sloan did the same before
the third round. He was also given an award for being a "shining
light" on the Federation. Frank Brady was the presenter.
I heard that the "award" was supplied by Leroy Dubeck and was mostly
to help Sam in the election. I complained to Frank Brady that his
presenting it to Sam would lead people to think he was supporting Sam
in the election, and Frank said he thought the award was "a joke."

Bill Goichberg
Dear All: Here are the facts about the "award." Moments before the
start of the round of the U.S. Team Tournament, Leroy Dubeck showed me
the Sam Sloan award and I cracked up because of its symbolism (and
since it had a candle illuminating it!) I could hardly stop laughing,
considering the whole thing a lark. He then asked if I would present
it. Since I am constantly asked at my University and at chess events to
present this or that, and since I had no time to think about it, I
hastily agreed. It was, in no way, an implied or stated endorsement of
Sam Sloan for his candidacy of the Board. Actually, I haven't made up
mind as to who I am voting for, with two exceptions: Don Schultz and
Susan Polgar. Don has been one of the shining lights of American chess
for almost 50 years. He works fulltime on chess organization, and has
accomplished a great deal for USCF and FIDE, and for chess in general.
He is a superlative candidate. Susan Polgar is a wonderful
spokesperson and role model for chess in this country, and I am
delighted that a former World Champion is considering a run for the
Board. I believe that she will add something special to the USCF if
she is so elected.

If someone could post the above on the USCF Forums and the FIDE Group,
I would appreciate it.

Dr. Frank Brady

Old February 20th 07, 02:56 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

"samsloan" I am constantly asked at my University and at chess events to
present this or that, and since I had no time to think about it, I
hastily agreed.

This guy sounds like a homo. I have never heard of him, and he has never
presented any awards at any of the universities that I lecture at.

Old February 21st 07, 02:55 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

"samsloan" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I was in the room at the time and thought I heard Sam's name but I was
talking to someone and not really paying attention. Does anyone recall the
award to Sam given during the USATE?

Angelo