Old February 24th 07, 06:05 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.accounting,misc.legal,alt.chess

Default Randy Bauer and the Finance Committee

Randy Bauer and the Finance Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanstaafl
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsloan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsawmiller
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanPolgar

The USCF needs the expertise of Randy Bauer. He would be a good asset
for the USCF. This election should not be about partisan politics. It
should be about who can best help the USCF now. I believe that Randy
will be an important piece of the puzzle to help this federation.

Best wishes,
Susan Polgar
Mr. Bauer has certainly impressed me so far.
My vote for him is his to lose, as is mine for you.
I will tell you why he should lose your vote.

According to the latest Financial statement, the USCF is losing
$241,000 so far this year and, according to the analysis by Donna
Alarie, we may actually be losing nearly $100,000 more.

Randy Bauer is Chairman of the Finance Committee, yet he has made no
comment on our financial situation, and possibly has not even looked
at the statements.

Sam Sloan
The Finance Committee works for the EB -- which
includes YOU, Mr. Sloan -- the committee has no control over how much
money is being spent or how much revenues we're getting. The EB has
some control over that. A current EB member implying that a finance
committee member should be held accountable for our current financial
situation is a gross distortion of the facts.

The finance committee can only do what the EB allows them to do. Mr.
Sloan deserves a far greater share of the responsibility than Mr.
Bauer.
Wrong.

The Finance Committee is supposed to analyze and comment on our
finances. That is what Mr. Bauer is supposed to be doing, and he is
not doing his job.

Although I am on the board, I have absolutely no control over the
finances. If I had control over the finances, I would be making
drastic reductions in our expenditures, something which the rest of
the board seems unwilling to do.

Also, we have an ED who cannot even tell us why we spent $38,000 on
the World Youth Championship and $18,000 on the Pan Am Youth
Championship when we should not have spent more than a few thousand
total on the two events combined, not to mention $138,000 on
professional fees.

Mr. Bauer is supposed to be looking into these items and telling us
the answers. He is not doing his job now. Why do you think he will do
his job if he gets elected to the board?

Old February 24th 07, 07:47 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.accounting,misc.legal,alt.chess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bauer
I'm curious, Sam - what exactly IS your job?
When I served on the Executive Board, I darn well did think it was my
duty to help balance the budget -- and we did. I didn't suggest that
it was the duty of the Finance Committee Chair or the Finance
Committee to do that. You see, they don't have a vote. You do. They
don't have a seat at the quarterly meetings -- you do.

The Finance Committee has certainly been active in discussing the USCF
finances and its financail reporting. I act as a Chair of the
Committee, not as the Committee as a whole. There has been plenty of
activity and plenty of discussion and advice provided to the USCF
office staff, the Vice President of Finance, etc.

That is its role. Some have suggested it has a broader "duty" but I
have yet to see a passage from the Bylaws that provides it. If the
Delegates wish for the Finance Committee to have a broader role, they
should specifically articulate it. In the meantime, Sam, I would
suggest you spend more time dealing with the task to which you were
elected and less time on silly posts attacking me for supporting Tom
Vilsack or serving in the volunteer capacity of Finance Committee
chair.
It is absolutely true, as Randy Bauer states, that OTHER MEMBERS of
the Finance Committee, especially Donna Alarie, have been commenting
on USCF Finances, but Randy Bauer has been silent and has not
participated in these discussions and probably has not even read the
latest finances.

Meanwhile, I am the financial watchdog on the USCF Board. I
consistently speak against wasteful expenditures, the only board
member to do so, other than Beatriz Marinello who sometimes joins me
on this.

You will not find the USCF paying $50,000 to an Internet Guru while I
am on the board as it did before I got on the board.

You will not find the USCF paying $10,000 to a "fundraiser" who raises
no funds while I am on the board as it did before I got on the board.

You will not find the USCF spending $10,000 on a retreat to Florida
while I am on the board as it did before I got on the board.

What has Randy Bauer done to stop these and other wasteful
expenditures?

Old February 24th 07, 01:17 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.accounting,misc.legal,alt.chess

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACP
Sam, actually, the ED reports to the EB. In fact, I
believe that at the very same meeting where the EB was unable to
provide answers to the above questions, the EB voted to extend the ED
contract for another 8 months.

Donna Alarie
Massachusetts Delegate
Please note that I voted against that motion, the only one on the
board to do so.

Also, you will find in the tape recording of the meeting in Los
Angeles, if it ever gets posted, that when Beatriz Marinello and even
Bill Goichberg raised the issues that Donna brought up at the meeting,
they were shouted down by Joel Channing and Randy Hough. There was so
much yelling and screaming on this point that the meeting had to be
adjourned. (Thus this portion should come at the very end of the
tape.)

So, Donna, please blame Joel Channing and Randy Hough for this, and do
not blame Sam Sloan because I voted against it.

Read this posting quickly, and do not be surprised when our intrepid
moderator deletes it.