Old February 24th 07, 01:13 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Default Who is to Blame for the Failure of the AF4C Deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpawn
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsloan
How can you blame the rest of the
board for this? How can you blame myself and Randy Hough for this,
when these events occurred before we even got on the board?
Fortunately I have friends (parents of students) with ties to AF4C.
Perhaps I know a little more than you do. Or maybe you are hiding
from something.

In any case, there is plenty of blame to go around. If nothing else,
each individual Board member should have personally contacted Mr.
Anderson and others within AF4C to see if there was something they
could do to solve this problem. Instead, everyone just left it to Mr.
Goichberg and Sir Bill was unable to deliver the goods. Running away
from the sinking ship might help you with other voters, but not with
me and the parents of my students.

Mr. Sloan, you promised to bring accountability to the Board. I
hereby hold you, Mr. Schultz and the other members of this Board
accountable.

Michael Aigner
Mike,

Although Erik Anderson avoided talking to Bill Goichberg, he did call
Robert Tanner and Don Schultz from time to time and, according to
them, he expressed deep frustration with Bill Goichberg. When Erik
Anderson pulled out completely, he called Don Schultz. He did not call
Bill Goichberg.

However, you cannot blame Don or Bob for the problems. The problems
lie entirely with Bill Goichberg because he was holding all the cards
in the deck. There was nothing that any of the rest of us could do
about it, as long as Bill was president.

I especially could not do anything about it because I do not know Erik
Anderson, have never spoken to him and do not know his number. I would
have been sternly rebuked if I had gone around the back of Bill
Goichberg and tried to call him myself and besides what could I have
said that would have changed anything anyway.

Old February 24th 07, 04:23 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfalter
Contrast Schultz's statement with Sloan's:

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsloan
Bill Goichberg did all this. He kept it a secret
from the rest of the board what he was doing.
Also, Sloan portrays Goichberg as having placed all his US
Championship eggs in one basket, the AF4C. Yet we have already in
this forum discussed extensively how the USCF had lined up another
major sponsor, but the deal got scuttled because of material Sloan
posted to the internet. See the following thread for details:

"Does Sam Sloan's website damage our quest for sponsors?"
http://www.uschess.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1986

Based on the publicly available facts, my take on all this is that the
Board member who undermined the major sponsorship is now trying to
pin blame for the US Championship difficulties on the Board member who
was working hard to make the deal happen. It is unseemly, to say the
least.
Again, Chris Falter, being new here, misunderstands the situation.

Our only dealings were with AF4C. However, AF4C was supposedly in
contact with a big financial organization who was to be the sponsor.

Nobody at the USCF was ever in contact with that big sponsor. We had
no dealings or discussions with Mr. Big. Only AF4C did that.

Thus, for us, there was never another sponsor. There was only AF4C.