Old February 24th 07, 04:02 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.magyar

Default The Joe Lux Program for Chess in the Schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Lux
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessPromotion
How come other chess
organizations like AF4C, SPF, KCF or NSCF, etc. do not have the same
problems?
[/b]
Democracy, Paul! All of the other organizations can speak in a
monolith voice. We in the Federation have to balance the interests of
90,000 members. Slates have been dangerous for the USCF before. The
present Board was created by a slate, and we see the results.

More to follow...I have to prepare for tomorrow's trip to the NJ
Elementary and JHS Championships. I managed to get five schools to pay
for the kids' EFs. My TD fee will help cover new USCF memberships for
20 of the 35 kids travelling on the school bus with me, provided by
the Board of Education. You may do some glamorous stuff, Paul. I just
do the grunt work in the field. That gives me a better understanding
of what the field workers need from USCF. By the way, how many new
USCF members will be brought in by Texas Tech?

Chessically yours, Joe Lux
A very good posting by Joe Lux, thank you.

As far as I am aware, neither Paul Truong nor Susan Polgar have ever
taught a regular chess class in a schoolroom setting and have never
traveled on a bus with a bunch of school kids like Joe Lux does.

What they do instead is make celebrity appearances at big scholastic
events, where Paul takes a hundred pictures of Susan posing with a
bunch of school kids, none of whom she ever taught, and then Paul
brags about all the big shots that they have meetings with none of
whom ever actually come up with any money, and then they send an
invoice to the USCF expecting the USCF to pay Paul and Susan out of
membership dues money for these appearences.