Old February 24th 07, 08:10 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.magyar

Default Why is Sam Sloan critical of Susan Polgar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnibb
Sam, we must see things differently. When I see Susan
at a National tournament, I see a wonderful champion, interacting with
Kindergarten through Adults at just the right level. I can't imagine
she hasn't been in a classroom at some time. If she hasn't, she has a
unique ability to work with kids at their level. I have honestly
never seen her be rude to anyone, and it seems that she has unlimited
patience when working with the kids.

Why are you so critical of a good person?
Dear Mr. Nibbelin,

You ask a good question and I have a good answer.

You are absolutely correct that Susan is very presentable. She is a
very strong chess player, she speaks well, presents herself very well,
she is polite and respectful and she creates a great first impression.

Indeed, these are the reasons why became her biggest backer and
supporter back 21 years ago when nobody else would have anything
publicly to do with her.

Now why would nobody else want to have anything to do with her? It
seemed to be because of her father who was a monstrously difficult man
to deal with. Just about the entire Hungarian Chess Establishment was
completely opposed to Zsuzsa Polgar and indeed practically the entire
country was against her. The Hungarian Government was even trying to
put her father in jail and the family was deeply afraid that this
would happen.

What, you ask, does this have to do with the current situation?

It has everything to do with it, because now we have the same
situation, only involving different people.

Now, instead of her father being the difficult one, we have Mr. Truong
who is causing all the problems. Instead of her fighting all the time
with the Hungarian Chess Federation, she is fighting all the time with
the United States Chess Federation.

Indeed, Mr. Truong has the same physical build as her father. If you
saw them from a distance you could hardly tell which was which.

As to her appearances at the National Scholastic events, if she was
doing this on a volunteer basis everybody would applaud. However,
whenever she appears anywhere she expects to be paid and paid very
well. She says that her standard rate is $5,000 per day but she gives
the USCF a break and only charges $1500 per day plus her expenses of
course.

As to why she has been attacking me ever since I was elected, she
knows that I am a tight-fisted son-of-a-gun and I do not want to pay
anybody anything. She knows that as long as I am on the board those
days of $1500 per day plus expenses will be long gone, so she wants me
thrown off the board.

So, instead of money she demands to be paid in free pages of publicity
in Chess Life. Bill Hall has recently admitted to the board that Susan
Polgar was given three pages of publicity in Chess Life in settlement.
This explains why one entire issue of Chess Life became known as
"Polgar Life Magazine".

And that is only the beginning. There is much more. Does that begin to
answer your question?

Old February 24th 07, 08:41 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.magyar

"samsloan" writes:
This explains why one entire issue of Chess Life became known as
"Polgar Life Magazine".

That really does seem like an improvement over having every issue
be "Hanken Life Magazine".
Old February 24th 07, 08:49 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.magyar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklemoine
If Susan was so greedy for money, then why would
she run for the Executive Board and submit to all of those conflict of
interest rules?
This one is easy.

Once she controls the board, she can do anything she wants. The
conflict of interest rules will mean nothing.

If she is elected but Paul Truong is defeated, which seems likely,
then she plans to appoint Paul Truong as Executive Director and then
they will have complete control over the organization.

Old February 24th 07, 09:35 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.magyar

Note that Susan, or whomever ghost-writes for her, does not answer
your questions.

If she had good answers, she would blow them out of the water.

Old February 26th 07, 02:52 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.magyar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklemoine
Sloan, there's 2 questions about your above post.

1) If the Hungarian gov't wanted to stuff Mr. Polgar in jail, then
why didn't they just go ahead and do so? The Communists were in
control and they certainly weren't bashful about making people
"disappear". In fact, Hungary in those days was one of the more
repressive Communist societies.

It's like Judge Judy always says on her show: if a story doesn't make
sense then it's probably not true.
The Government of Hungary sent political opponents off the the gulags.

However, the case against Laszlo Polgar was basically a child abuse
charge for making his daughters play chess all day long and not
sending them to school.

I know about this because Susan told me about it. The other kids may
have briefly mentioned it as well.

Frankly, I admired Laszlo Polgar for bravely (or perhaps foolishly)
standing up to the Hungarian Government and not capitulating as most
other fathers would have done.

Old February 26th 07, 05:41 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.magyar

On 26 Feb 2007 06:52:55 -0800, "samsloan" wrote:

[quote="jacklemoine"]Sloan, there's 2 questions about your above post.

(...)

In fact, Hungary in those days was one of the more
repressive Communist societies.

in what days?

please don't bull**** the ones in the know
Old February 27th 07, 03:27 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.magyar

Israel Silverman wrote:

Then, unless they were home-schooled, I would consider that negligent.
I suppose one could infer from "...play and study chess all day long"
that they were not home-schooled, like some children in the U.S. are,
but I've learned that people around here sometimes don't say
everything.

Israel Silverman

I lived and traveled with them for six months from May through
October, 1986 and I never saw them read a book or take any lessons or
study or even discuss any subject that did not have to do with the
latest or best moves of chess.

Old February 27th 07, 08:24 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.magyar

On Feb 24, 3:10 pm, "samsloan" wrote:
[...]

Do you actually read what you write?

Appears to be the ramblings of a desperate man in my view....