Old February 25th 07, 06:53 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Default Another Unauthorized Deal by Bill Hall with Susan Polgar

Another Unauthorized Deal by Bill Hall with Susan Polgar

Our eagle-eyed Finance Committee member Donna Alarie has pointed out
another serious discrepancy.

Previously, Bill Hall has stated that a bunch of the Free Ads for
Polgar in Chess Life were part of a deal passed by the board on
February 19, 2006 where she was to be given free advertising space in
Chess Life in compensation for organizing the Polgar Tournament for
Girls.

However, after searching the BINFOS Donna has found that the board
never agreed to this. The last BINFO on this subject is 200601292

Here is what Joel Channing, the maker of the motion passed by the
board, wrote:

Dear board members:

I thought that when we voted on the proposed Susan Polgar event we
were voting on a concept that was to be run past a couple of
committees and then negotiated by Bill Hall and then brought back to
us in the form of a proposed contract for us to vote on - and that
until we were able to review the details and voted there was to be no
publicity regarding the proposed deal. I also know that, in response
to some comments, the proposed deal was simplified. But as far as I
know, nothing has happened that would supersede my understanding as
described in the first sentence above.

My question is: am I correct?

Thank you,

Joel Channing

So, it appears that once again Bill Hall has made an agreement not
authorized by the board.

This issue was hotly debated, with more than 150 postings to the USCF
Forums. See:

http://www.uschess.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=957

Donna wants a legal opinion as to whether it is proper and legal for a
501c4 not-for-profit corporation such as the USCF to use membership
dues money and facilities to promote just one player in a 90,000
member membership organization.

Please note the incredible amount off publicity Polgar has received,
especially considering that she is a retired player who has not
competed on a regular basis for the last 15 years. In spite of being
inactive, she gets a cover story in Chess Life, pictures of her all
through the magazine, and constant references to her as a Four Time
World Champion, although she actually won the Woman's World
Championship only once.

The last rated tournament that I know of under standard time controls
that Susan Polgar won was the 1986 Albena Open in Albena Bulgaria, a
tournament that I took her to. I do not count tournaments in her own
club against 1600 rated players that were used to make the activity
requirement so that she could play on the 2004 Woman's Olympiad team,
nor am I counting blitz or rapid play or exhibition events.

Why does Susan Polgar, who is only the number 21 rated player in the
US, get so much publicity, when our US Champion Alex Onischuk, when
our most promising player, Hikaru Nakamura, and when our highest rated
player Gata Kamski get almost no publicity?

Why is Susan Polgar paid by the USCF $2 per book for book signings
where she promotes her own book, which the USCF is forced to sell at a
loss because she charges the USCF $24.95 per book?

Why was Susan Polgar paid $2500 by the USCF to give a simultaneous
exhibition at the Newburgh Rotary Club, when few if any USCF members
participated.

Why are almost all the resources and facilities of the USCF devoted to
promoting just one player, Susan Polgar, and nevertheless she attacks
the USCF constantly and states that she is going to clean us up.

Old February 26th 07, 12:12 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

That is not what Mr. Truong wrote before. In message number 25855 on
June 6, 2006 on the fide-chess Yahoo Group [fide-chess] What
does $50 Grand buy?, Paul Truong, who posted as "ChessMarketing",
wrote:

"As long as the KCF is the sponsor of the women's team, Susan will
never play for the US in the Olympiad again. That was what Beatriz
wanted and she got it. This is the result of an illegal deal that was
made by your beloved Beatriz and the KCF. Susan will not have her name
linked to either of them. Don't worry Eric, everyone will know what
your friend has done. As long as I am in chess, I will expose dirty
chess politicians. That is a promise. Time for a new day in chess."

Please note however that the KCF paid the USCF $30,000 under this
supposedly illegal deal. Without that money we could not have sent a
team to the Olympiad. The SPF has never paid the USCF a dime. Rather
they demanded that the USCF pay them $50 Grand, hence the title to
that thread.

My other responses to this thread have been deleted by the moderator.
I will have to try again.

Old February 26th 07, 01:43 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.magyar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolan
I don't have the time control for most of those events,
because prior to February of 2005 we didn't keep track of that
information.

However, the Oklahoma Dream Team Challenge was a three day event that
was FIDE rated, so according to (current) FIDE regulations the time
control should have been no faster than Game/120.
The time control for most of these events is obvious by the title,
which is either "Blitz" or "Action". Action means 30 minute chess.
Also, the "New York Mayor's Cup" was a 30-minute action event.

Take a look at the cross-table of the "Oklahoma Dream Team Challenge".
http://uschess.org/msa/XtblMain.php?...68100-12452240

It shows the five members of the Woman's Olympiad team playing a bunch
of low rated players, none of whom were rated over 2200.

None of the leading players played each other. In short, this was not
a competitive event. It was an exhibition to raise funds and provide
activity points for the team. At that time, it was believed that Susan
would need to play 20 rated games to meet the activity requirement to
play on the Woman's Olympiad Team. She fulfilled most of this
requirement by playing games against 1600 rated players in her own
club. This tournament was the exception. It was organized by Frank and
James Berry specifically for the purpose of giving the "Dream Team"
members some practice playing against very low rated players, but
never playing each other.

Had this been a real competitive tournament, the players with the
highest scores would have played each other. If you will look at the
cross table you will see that this never happened.

Also, Susan did not even win all the games, as a player with her
rating should have. She drew one game against a very low rated player.

Old February 26th 07, 01:51 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Feb 25, 1:53 pm, "samsloan" wrote:
Another Unauthorized Deal by Bill Hall with Susan Polgar

Our eagle-eyed Finance Committee member Donna Alarie has pointed out
another serious discrepancy.

Previously, Bill Hall has stated that a bunch of the Free Ads for
Polgar in Chess Life were part of a deal passed by the board on
February 19, 2006 where she was to be given free advertising space in
Chess Life in compensation for organizing the Polgar Tournament for
Girls.

However, after searching the BINFOS Donna has found that the board
never agreed to this. The last BINFO on this subject is 200601292

At a board meeting yesterday, in Open Session so I am allowed to post
this, Bill Hall admitted that in Exchange for Susan Polgar organizing
the "Susan Polgar Girls Team", he had agreed to give Susan three half
page ads and 12 1/12th page ads in Chess Life, for a total of 2 1/2
pages of Free Advertising in Chess Life.

As to why he had never informed the board of this he said that he was
not required to do so because the amount involved was less than
$10,000 and it was not known at that time that Susan would be running
for election.

Old February 26th 07, 03:54 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Following the 'free ads' postings - I thought I would look up how much a
half page ad cost in chess life and couldn't find any links to it from
either the new or the old site. That's curious, I thought.

HARD TO FIND MONEY

According to Alarie's report advertising year-to-date to December was off
$20,000 [?] below expectation. Its hard to find advertising money, because
possibly it is hard to find advertising rates?

So I used the site's search function which did reveal advertising rates. The
3x rate for a half page is $1,370 per issue. Or in round numbers about
$4,000 total. Add another $1,000 for 6x 1/6th page yields about $5,000.

---------

FREE?

This is admittedly rough-house analysis, but it can't be too far off.

I thought how much it would cost USCF to run a tournament similar to the SP
one in question - in staff time. Probably a couple of people for a couple of
weeks, so $2,000 clerical wages, then publicity accounting and supervisory
approvals, another $2,000? making $4,000 so far, and the event hasn't gotten
out of ChessHut yet, nevermind attracting a GM to attract participants... a
TD plus organisers at the site. Medals and cups, and a couple of hotel and
flight bills. Another $3,000? Is that $7,000 so far? Its too low, no?

Well, lets call it a wash. These would have to be minimal costs - they could
be twice as much for any organiser. Hard to see any profit motive! And a
probable $10k expense isn't exactly 'free'. Though there may be some
off-setting income, though getting in-kind advertising worth $5,000 cash
[$2,500 in kind?] doesn't look like a very good deal to me.

AND THE MORAL IS...

Bill Hall's idea wasn't so bad, and USCF should outsource more, and someone
should renew their hypnotic tie.

HALL OF INFAMY

I have seen several criticisms of Bill Hall the Ex Dir recently - made by
board members, who say stuff like 'without approval of the board'. This is
always very curious since that 'Ex' indicates the person who deploys or
executes policy, whereas the board create policy stratagems, and are /not/
charged with running individual events.

'Without knowledge or approval of the board' does not necessarily mean that
any knowledge or approval is actually necessary, does it?

The last time I wrote about this board criticism - only with different
players in the seats, I challenged the board on it, and they admitted that
although the board disproved of the Ex Dir's actions, he /had/ acted within
the realm of his responsibilities. "If you are unhappy with your Ex Dir's
activities," I asked, "why don't you take actions to curtail their range?"

"Yes, that is what we will do," was the [here paraphrastic] response of Don
Shultz and Beatriz Marinello.

About 3 months later it all started over, with the same issue of a 'rogue'
Ex. Dir., so I asked them if they did what they said they would

ZZZZZZ

That'll be the day! Silence, again, was the stern reply.

Phil Innes

oups.com...

Old February 27th 07, 08:55 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

"Chess One" I thought how much it would cost USCF to run a tournament
similar to the SP one in question - in staff time. Probably a couple of
people for a couple of
weeks, so $2,000 clerical wages, then publicity accounting and supervisory
approvals, another $2,000? making $4,000 so far,

Dream on. What planet are you from? Certainly you don't run a business. Most
tournaments use volunteers to do a lot of work. The actual employees who
might be earning around $10 per hour would only cost $800 per week at most.
Though why would you need two? The TD would do the rest of the work. In the
USCF that would be at most another $800-$1000 if it was a USCF supervisor.

There should be income from registration fees, advertising, sales of
products, licensing to dealers, etc. It should be a profitable venture if it
is run correctly.

Old February 27th 07, 09:20 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.magyar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfalter
Susan has posted the list of participants in the
first ever Susan Polgar All-Star Girl's Chess Team at the following
location:

http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com/2006...rls-chess.html
This appears not to be a list of "participants" but merely a list of
players who have met the ratings and age criteria.

I am certain that some of them at least have not participated in any
way in the program.

Meanwhile, the USCF published 2 1/2 pages of free ads for this
program. Every issue of Chess Life magazine for the past 12 months
have contained these ads. See for example the ad on page 61 of the
February isue of Chess Life.

The ad says that they are "recognizing" girls who already exceed at
chess. It leads you to a website www.susanpolgarfoundation.org which
contains a solicitation for funds but no information such as the names
of the members of the Susan Polgar All-Star Girls Team, what
activities they have participated in and what benefits they have
received.

So, it looks like a scam just to raise funds and to get free
advertising in Chess Life magazine.

It is noteworthy that there have been complaints about these free ads
for more than six months. Nevertheless, they have continued to run.
There have been persistent denials by Mr. Truong that these ads were
free, but now Bill Hall has admitted that these are free ads.

Old February 27th 07, 01:17 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

"Joker" wrote in message
.. .
"Chess One" I thought how much it would cost USCF to run a tournament
similar to the SP one in question - in staff time. Probably a couple of
people for a couple of
weeks, so $2,000 clerical wages, then publicity accounting and
supervisory
approvals, another $2,000? making $4,000 so far,

Dream on. What planet are you from?

Klingon, as a matter of fact I was just stopping by to scan for any signs of
intelligence.

Certainly you don't run a business. Most
tournaments use volunteers to do a lot of work.

Presumably if you did you would still need to pay 30 staff salaries, though
maybe one of these staff people could co-ordinate these volunteers, who as
you say, would do 'a lot' of the work.

The actual employees who
might be earning around $10 per hour

Which business people know cost in benefits, holidays, and a mystery item
called COGS and 'distributed overhead', which means paying for the [brand
new] space they sit in, its heating & cooling and famous swamp-side parking
lot, their computers, desks and phones, as well as someone to pay their
wages and someone to hoover the new carpet, any $10 job costs $15.

would only cost $800 per week at most.

2 clerical people would, possibly temps? They could put on a national
tournament for young people for $800 at most?

Though why would you need two?

Sure. I'm sure the Crossville Temp agency could just send around one temp
who could do the whole thing, and in a week! Southron woman beats northern
hoi-polloi foundation! Shoot, like any other parent, I'd send my kids to
whatever she came up with, what could possibly go wrong?

The TD would do the rest of the work. In the
USCF that would be at most another $800-$1000 if it was a USCF supervisor.

I think I also chucked in that much money for a TD, plus someone to keep the
hordes of people at people at bay at Suthron woman will get there.

There should be income from registration fees, advertising, sales of
products, licensing to dealers, etc. It should be a profitable venture if
it
is run correctly.

Perhaps the Temp and/or the TD could also contact with these folks, arrange
advertising [local or national?], administer registration, sign licensing
contracts, and sell the gear too? You might consider sending your
interesting ideas to Bill Hall. Meanwhile, I'll report the same ideas to the
Grand Council on Klingon, and let them assess for themselves if my mission
here if yet over?

Kordarrg-snarph! Hussein

[as in, who sane?]

Old February 28th 07, 04:49 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfalter
Check your calendar, Sam. It's the middle of the
school year. The participants are all in school. Susan's kids are in
school (or studying, if she homeschools them).

*If* the summer passes, and no training camp has been held, you will
have legitimate grounds to criticize.

Until then, it is patently unfair to criticize the Susan Polgar
Foundation on these grounds.
Susan Polgar proposed this deal at the Executive Board meeting on
February 19, 2006. She had all last Summer to hold classes, training
sessions or whatever and never did so. Now you are saying that she
must wait until next Summer before starting her program. Meanwhile,
Chess Life magazine has been filled up with ads for her, pictures of
her and so on while she has supposedly been waiting for next Summer to
come to do anything.